Official P&b Cycling Thread

If you have any type of clip in pedals,I'd advise you to change them,as if anything like me,you'll be putting your feet down a few times!!

Have fun

Ok, but just got a standard Giant hybrid.

I've just got myself a road bike. It's probably going to end in total disaster, and most likely an accident of some sort, but if anyone on this thread has any decent routes in the Tayside area, that'd be grand.

Depends on what sort of distance you can manage. Take your bike up Glen Clova, park at the hotel and do the loop which I think is about 13 miles and flat-ish.

I also bought a road bike the other week. I've been going to spin classes 2 or 3 times a week for a year so I thought it would be a piece of piss on the road. Couldn't be more wrong if I tried. Went from Kirrie up to the Airlie Monument and back (approx 12 miles) and was breathing out my arse. It was probably a bit optimistic for my first ride (fnarr) since it's basically up hill for 6 miles and then I was petrified on the way back down.

I also wore clip in shoes for the first time which was an experience in itself.

Still, despite I cannae wait to get back out again.

Sent from my MT15i using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Seriously good effort UTN.

I almost signed up for the Cairngorm Sportive last year but chickened out. I regret doing so now of course. There's no way I could do it this year, I just havent put in the miles or effort TBH..

Anyway, cycled to work this morning and it was a superb day for it. No wind, bright but not too warm. :) 8.73 miles and a supposed 561 calories burnt aff the belly. I wonder if the Doctor will notice this when I visit the surgery tonight..? :unsure:

Went up there this afternoon UTN, hard going, but thoroughly enjoyed it.

Really liked getting right down the gears for the climbs, but the descents were a bit hairy and I was having to slam the brakes on ( really must renew them ) and get my feet down.

Started in Grangemouth, up through Laurieston and Hallglen to the cycle trail. After that I cycled along the union canal to the Falkirk Wheel, down to the Forth and Clyde canal and followed that back to Grangemouth.

All in all, a grand afternoons cycling and will reward myself with a few nice beers this evening.

Went up there this afternoon UTN, hard going, but thoroughly enjoyed it.

Really liked getting right down the gears for the climbs, but the descents were a bit hairy and I was having to slam the brakes on ( really must renew them ) and get my feet down.

Started in Grangemouth, up through Laurieston and Hallglen to the cycle trail. After that I cycled along the union canal to the Falkirk Wheel, down to the Forth and Clyde canal and followed that back to Grangemouth.

All in all, a grand afternoons cycling and will reward myself with a few nice beers this evening.

Glad you enjoyed it ;)

I've just got myself a road bike. It's probably going to end in total disaster, and most likely an accident of some sort, but if anyone on this thread has any decent routes in the Tayside area, that'd be grand.

Plenty fairly quiet country roads on your doorstep out by Letham,Carmylle,Redford etc to get you started

Have fun

Edit-Can't spell

Edited by keptie

First run out of the year since I knackered my back in February. Over the winter I've put on a stone and a half and lost sight of my feet so it's good to get back in the saddle but dearie me, I'm so unfit! A 15 mile loop that I was doing in 55 minutes last year just took me an hour fifteen and my back was giving me serious gyp at times. Mind you, I think my tyres might have been slightly under pressure so that probably accounts for most of the extra time :wub:

Depends on what sort of distance you can manage. Take your bike up Glen Clova, park at the hotel and do the loop which I think is about 13 miles and flat-ish.

I also bought a road bike the other week. I've been going to spin classes 2 or 3 times a week for a year so I thought it would be a piece of piss on the road. Couldn't be more wrong if I tried. Went from Kirrie up to the Airlie Monument and back (approx 12 miles) and was breathing out my arse. It was probably a bit optimistic for my first ride (fnarr) since it's basically up hill for 6 miles and then I was petrified on the way back down.

I also wore clip in shoes for the first time which was an experience in itself.

Still, despite I cannae wait to get back out again.

Sent from my MT15i using Pie & Bovril mobile app

You still suffering that sweatfest class at Websters? :lol:

I go twice/three times a week at Forfar still. I like the Clova idea though. Good starting point. I'll try and get a decent run in once or twice a week and add a few miles a week.

I've finally managed to liberate the bike from the depths of my shed, having had to pile all manner of crap in there in preparation for the delivery of my new, mighty Man Shed that arrived last week.

Like NBB, I've had pretty severe back problems and have getting regular physiotherapy, but it is time to get back in the saddle. I'll doing the work commute on Tuesday, then hopefully getting back out on a regular basis. It has been a long time coming, and I'm looking forward to it!

It was the tyres!! Invested in a decent track pump, checked my tyres and they were at 80 psi! I thought they felt a bit squidgy and the ride was a little too comfortable yesterday. Back up to 105 psi today, the bone-jarring ride is back and I knocked 10 minutes off my time. Mind you, what a great day for it.

Cycled to work again today but decided to use the road bike for the first time this year. Light breeze but nothing of note. Easily shaved 4 minutes of my best ever time using the MTB (with slicks).

Mr Garmin recorded 8.75 miles, 485 feet ascent, 705 feet descent, 618 calories.

Edit.. Typo :(

Edited by broon-loon

Epic day yesterday

Went from Larbert - Bridge Of Allan - Dunblane - Braco - Comrie - Crieff - Muthill- Auchterarder - Muchart - Dollar- Clackmannan - Larbert.

85 miles, average of 18.8mph and burnt to f**k !

Great day and some truly spectacular scenery

Brought the bike in this morning as planned, and realised (only about half-way through the commute) that my front mech is goosed - most likely seized up or lacking any cable tension after weeks of neglect. The chain is stuck on the big ring at the front, so, unless I can sort it out later, I don't think I'll be getting home on it as there is no way on this earth that I'm getting up the hill to home in the big ring.

If push come comes to shove, I could manually shift the chain down to the smaller ring, but I reckon it will rub badly on the mech unless I free it off somehow.

What a pain in the arse. I had taken the bike out for a brief check of tyre pressures, brakes, lube etc. last night, but we had visistors round, so it was a very quick once-over.

Ah well, no -one ever said it was going to be easy getting back into it, but I had assumed it would be the man, not the machine, that would provie to be the weak link.

Edited by Drooper

Brought the bike in this morning as planned, and realised (only about half-way through the commute) that my front mech is goosed - most likely siezed up or lacking any cable tension after weeks of neglect. The chain is stuck on the big ring at the front, so, unless I can sort it out later, I don't think I'll be getting home on it as there is no way on this earth that I'm getting up the hill to home in the big ring.

If push come comes to shove, I could manually shift the chain down to the smaller ring, but I reckon it will rub badly on the mech unless I free it off somehow.

What a pain in the arse. I had taken the bike out for a brief check of tyre pressures, brakes, lube etc. last night, but we had visistors round, so it was a very quick once-over.

Ah well, no -one ever said it was going to be easy getting back into it, but I had assumed it would be the man, not the machine, that would provie to be the weak link.

Drooper, the front mech is spring loaded. The shifter has to pull against the spring to move the chain up to the big ring. If you can disconnect the cable the spring should automatically pull the mech to the wee ring position. If the mech doesn't move it is siezed, but you will probably be able to push or lever it down to the small ring position. If the mech does move then either the cable is siezed or the shifter is stuck or not working properly?

I would reckon on the mech being siezed as it is the bit most exposed to the elements...?

Happy biking (and maintenance).. ;)

Edit.. another typo. :unsure:

Edited by broon-loon