Official P&b Cycling Thread

So, please tell me more about the correct, best way to use the dry lube I've ordered. I've been a slob with this and just used old-fashioned, messy oil. I've today and yesterday quite thoroughly degreased with Gunk and it awaits it's new lube.

BTW - would white spirit be just as good for degreasing?

White spirit leaves a residue that can attract nasties, so I would steer clear.

I never got the hang of the dry lube, to be honest. Apparently it is fine if you keep a close eye out for it washing off in our often less than clement climate. The best bet would be to trawl the likes of the Bikeradar forums for advice.

ETA - I'm reading on various forums that white spirit is fine for a chain. I was sure there was an issue with the residue, but possibly got the wrong end of the stick on that one. It would certainly be cheaper than dedicated degreaser, so perhaps worth considering after all.

Edited by Drooper

Cheers, Drooper. I've used white spirit before on one of my rare deep clean operations, and the chain looked like it does tonight post-Gunk. I'll put this Teflon stuff on when it comes. I think I'll get one of those wee chain cleaner machines though they range from £8-30 - probably get the cheap one on amazon which broon-loon cited.

Forget all the expensive, overpriced seemingly high tech shite !

Oil is best

Good to hear a radical opinion, UTN. Certainly my late bike guru, about whom I wrote some months ago, held that opinion. Used car engine oil was his agent of choice. He still gave me rows about my neglect, mind! What sort of oil do you favour, UTN, and what is your chain care regimen?

Good to hear a radical opinion, UTN. Certainly my late bike guru, about whom I wrote some months ago, held that opinion. Used car engine oil was his agent of choice. He still gave me rows about my neglect, mind! What sort of oil do you favour, UTN, and what is your chain care regimen?

Good old 3 in1 oil is what I use.

Depends on the weather really.

In the winter I clean my chain after every run, which can very between 30-90 miles,as it picks up lots of shit on the road.

I spray it with a chain cleaner,wipe it down with a cloth, apply liberal amounts of 3 in 1,then wipe of any excess.

The same in summer,but only do this once every week or so .

I also wipe down all my gear mechs and spray liberally with GT80

Also.......... with regards to energy bars,gells,etc,etc.

Theres an old guy in our club who raced semi pro and very much old school.

He said before all these wanky products came along (his words not mine) ,they used to swear by a good old cake of tablet as an energy boost.

Myself and quite a few of the guys in the club try this and swer by it.gives you much more of a sugar hit and energy boost than many of the expensive gels on the market.

I suppose cycling is no different from any other sport, in that all these companies come along with cleverly marketed products which will make us go faster,last longer and our bikes perfom better,when really,the good old fashioned option is sometimes hard to beat

Sorry to keep on - what's your chain cleaner spray? Would that alone get all the gubbins out of the links? Or do you use the wee brushy machine?

No worries

Sometimes use the wee brushy machine in winter,or a toothbrush.

I use Muc-Off cleaner, which after all I've said above,is probabaly overpriced

Also.......... with regards to energy bars,gells,etc,etc.

Theres an old guy in our club who raced semi pro and very much old school.

He said before all these wanky products came along (his words not mine) ,they used to swear by a good old cake of tablet as an energy boost.

Myself and quite a few of the guys in the club try this and swer by it.gives you much more of a sugar hit and energy boost than many of the expensive gels on the market.

I suppose cycling is no different from any other sport, in that all these companies come along with cleverly marketed products which will make us go faster,last longer and our bikes perfom better,when really,the good old fashioned option is sometimes hard to beat

I find gels and energy bars a bit hit an miss.

When I was up in Skye last year, it was blisteringly hot (hitting 90 degrees in the early afternoon), and the gels I had with me had heated up to the extent that they were pretty much unpalatable. The same applies to the energy drinks, and I was left gasping for cold, fresh water.

In other conditions, gels are fine if you can pick them up relatively cheaply. I imagine tablet would be a bit sickening after a while (a bit like Kendal Mint Cake when out walking in the hills). Mixing up a bit on long rides suits me best, but another hot 100 mile ride and the gels and energy drinks might be getting replaced with bananas and water.

Great weekend cycling another trip down by the coast this time heading over the old largs road route and down through seamill and back up through dalry. Got to sit in behind a digger for about 5 miles. So got pulled along nice and easy which was good. Then back out on Sunday been putting in the miles for this trossachs ride next week.

Has anyone had a bikefit? Part of this charity run they've given you a voucher to get a free bike fit. Usually throw these away but thinking about popping along and doing this

Edit to add bike fit and free bike fit are world's apart lol

Edited by paisleysaints

I find gels and energy bars a bit hit an miss.

When I was up in Skye last year, it was blisteringly hot (hitting 90 degrees in the early afternoon), and the gels I had with me had heated up to the extent that they were pretty much unpalatable. The same applies to the energy drinks, and I was left gasping for cold, fresh water.

In other conditions, gels are fine if you can pick them up relatively cheaply. I imagine tablet would be a bit sickening after a while (a bit like Kendal Mint Cake when out walking in the hills). Mixing up a bit on long rides suits me best, but another hot 100 mile ride and the gels and energy drinks might be getting replaced with bananas and water.

A lot of guys in the club also eat Jelly Babies as easy to eat and give a good quick sugar hit

NBB..scones are ok,but a b*****d in this weather when the butter melts in your cycling jersey pocket ;)

Edited by Unleash The Nade

I'm sure that I read that Graeme Obree used "raw" jelly - do you still get those blocks?

Yes .... Great shout !!!!!

Gonny try that

Eta, Hold on though, if you then drink water will it form into one big f**k off jelly in your stomach ??

Edited by Unleash The Nade

Don't know if its a great idea or not but I drizzled chain saw oil over the MTB chain late last year. I'm not sure why I did, but it seemed a good idea at the time? So far this year all I have done is use some silicon based lubricant now and then on the chain and sprockets and so far so good. The chain always has that oiled shiny look and shifting gears has been smooth and trouble free so far.

Anyway took the MTB to work again today, different route home and just under 24 miles covered in total. Trying to persist with the MTB as I'm hoping to do a 3 to 4 day 'escape' later this month.The bike seems fine, not so sure about the pilot though..? :unsure2: