Official P&b Cycling Thread

Hey chaps, I've unashamedly got the bike bug and I'm wondering if anybody knows a reliable place in the Glasgow area to get second-hand hybrids? Alternatively, is it possible to stick a pair of slims on my Mountain?

I've been at it on the Mountain for about 3 months in preparation for the 3 ferry challenge from Bute to WemyssBay. Used a hybrid on that and going back to the chunky tyres is soul-destroying!

What is cathkin braes country park like for a cycle round? Is the new commonwealth mtb track do-able on a rigid mtb with semi slick tyres?

Where is this commonwealth mtb track you speak of?

I wanted to do the velodrome on my mtb but they're not for having it.

Btw, anyone ever rattled their tailbone off the bar between saddle and handlebars? I did it last week and it's facking agony. Wondering what the recovery time is.

Edited by Dee Man

I had a very angry man behind me this morning.

The traffic island makes the road too narrow for safe overtaking, but after my shoulder check I knew he was going to try. So I indicated "keep back" which is what prompted the horn.

I overtook him again just round the corner when he got stuck in traffic.

What a fucking c**t.

What is cathkin braes country park like for a cycle round? Is the new commonwealth mtb track do-able on a rigid mtb with semi slick tyres?

I've not done it but people that is good but you can get the usual kids / folk hanging about drinking on it. Apparently at night it has a different recreational function too.....

Edited by flyingscot

Where is this commonwealth mtb track you speak of?

I wanted to do the velodrome on my mtb but they're not for having it.

Btw, anyone ever rattled their tailbone off the bar between saddle and handlebars? I did it last week and it's facking agony. Wondering what the recovery time is.

cathkin braes, south east of glasgow. Next to castlemilk which will explain the aforementioned recreational purpose.

cathkin braes, south east of glasgow. Next to castlemilk which will explain the aforementioned recreational purpose.

Cheers, although the recreational usage for Castlemilk residents could range from dogging to injecting. Probably both and everything inbetween.

Sounds gid.

You could but I wouldn't recommend it. You will struggle on the descents as the dual line section - the Gash - is mega slippy and steep.

It's a nice circuit for a blast and has a few surprisingly tough climbs. If you enjoy the trail centres then you'll like this.

Hey chaps, I've unashamedly got the bike bug and I'm wondering if anybody knows a reliable place in the Glasgow area to get second-hand hybrids? Alternatively, is it possible to stick a pair of slims on my Mountain?

I've been at it on the Mountain for about 3 months in preparation for the 3 ferry challenge from Bute to WemyssBay. Used a hybrid on that and going back to the chunky tyres is soul-destroying!

Stick slick or semi-slicks on your MTB and see how you get on.

Splashing out on a new bike is a big commitment, and you don't want to rush out and buy a hybrid then realise you should have bought a drop-bar road bike :whistle

Best to experiment first and try to borrow a bike for a weekend or have a shot on a mate's to see how it feels.

In saying that, a hybrid seems to be a good compromise option for a lot of folk, and you obviously enjoyed using one.

Most bike shops let you have a test run, though I'm not sure how many would do this with second hand bikes (assuming they stock them).

Edited by Drooper

Not record breaking in any way, but thought I would give a wee summary of my last few days in the saddle.

Wednesday (26th June) -Took the train to Stranraer, arrived just after midday. Visited Stair Park then cycled up to Ayr and a quick visit to Somerset Park. Stayed in a Travelodge. 55.4 miles.

Thursday - Cycled up to Glasgow, visited Ibrox, then headed across the city up to The Excelsior Stadium at Airdrie, then over to Ochilview at Stenhousemuir. Finished the day at the In-laws in Kincardine. 75.8 miles covered. This was by far the wettest day I have been out on a bike. There was a couple of scary moments on the A77 between Ayr and Kilmarnock (I know, I should have taken another route) and the standing water in Glasgow was 'difficult' to say the least.

Friday - Cycled to East End Park at Dunfermline before heading across Fife to Methil and East Fife's New Bayview, then over the Tay Bridge and up to Letham Angus (home) for a nights kip in my own bed. 76 miles. Struggled over the last 25 miles in truth, a nagging pain in the left knee the culprit..

Saturday - Last leg, ( Daughter joined me for this ) Headed out of the Village and over to Gayfield in Arbroath, then northwards to Glebe Park at Brechin and then back toward Forfar's Station Park. Mission complete, I had visited all the 2013/14 Second Division grounds.

My knee was again causing some pain so a gentle cycle back to the Village (for me) ended the adventure. 41.1 miles.

Just for info'-

I used an Orange P7 pro MTB fitted with slick tyres and rack for the panniers. The panniers were fairly laden with some clothes, tools, inner tubes etc.

Even although the kit in the panniers was in bags everything still got soaked. I would 'double bag' everything in future.

Garmin statistics-

Miles covered 248.28

Calories burned 13215

Elevation climed in feet 9421

I had a very angry man behind me this morning.

The traffic island makes the road too narrow for safe overtaking, but after my shoulder check I knew he was going to try. So I indicated "keep back" which is what prompted the horn.

I overtook him again just round the corner when he got stuck in traffic.

I hope you waved at him when you overtook him. C*nt.

Cycled from Airdrie to Livingston today on the 75 route, and then when I got to Armadale on the way back took the main roads back to Airdrie, took about 3:45 in total covering 45 miles. Coming back to Airdrie killed me though as the wind was blowing against me all the way home making it harder to maintain a decent speed.

Noticed on map my ride they were doing a Tour De France challenge, my workout when I logged it put me in it, it has been open for a day and some folk have covered 250 miles already. Frightening!

Cycled from Airdrie to Livingston today on the 75 route, and then when I got to Armadale on the way back took the main roads back to Airdrie, took about 3:45 in total covering 45 miles. Coming back to Airdrie killed me though as the wind was blowing against me all the way home making it harder to maintain a decent speed.

Noticed on map my ride they were doing a Tour De France challenge, my workout when I logged it put me in it, it has been open for a day and some folk have covered 250 miles already. Frightening!

Probably have their tracker on while in their car!

Probably have their tracker on while in their car!

That's what I thought as well as some of the average speeds are 25-30mph on the bike. Would be pretty pathetic doing that to win a few cycling gear goodie bags!