Official P&b Cycling Thread

Post us a pic!

Few small scratches here and there and needs cleaned up a bit but well worth the money and should do me until I get the cash together to buy a new one. Off work tomorrow so I'll have time to check it all out before using it properly.

1_zps993cecf2.jpg

After waiting ages for the weather to play ball, I've finally managed to complete a long-standing aim: cycle a 10mile route home from work every day, after cycling the 2.9/3 miles (depending on the route) in.

The picture doesn't tell the full story, though - I forgot to switch the app on for three trips in, so based on the distances given, there's another 8.9 miles to add. So 67 miles for the week.

post-12065-0-54136300-1373651270_thumb.p

After waiting ages for the weather to play ball, I've finally managed to complete a long-standing aim: cycle a 10mile route home from work every day, after cycling the 2.9/3 miles (depending on the route) in.

The picture doesn't tell the full story, though - I forgot to switch the app on for three trips in, so based on the distances given, there's another 8.9 miles to add. So 67 miles for the week.

attachicon.gifbike.PNG

I got bored of the standard cycle to work which, like yours, is only a couple of miles. I've started adding in a few extra miles to take me by the River Don then along the beach on my alternate days from the gym.

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/214922388/2738540

Also got a chance to get out and about around Inverness over the weekend and did a wee run around Clava and Cantray. Was on my Dads Orange P7 which has had a few upgrades including an absolutely gorgeous Fox shock with 140mm of travel. Just absorbs pretty much every bump. It was an amazing ride. I can't be bothered with my Hardrock now.

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/216204224/2738540

Edited by RiG

Just found out today I got a place on the ride London 100 they are starting this year using the Olympic road race route courtesy of the nice people at Garmin. Only problem is after missing out in the original ballot I've arranged to take my mum to the Edinburgh tattoo on the night before the ride and the bloody sleeper doesn't run on a Saturday, anybody got any clever ideas how I can get myself and my trusty steed to London bearing in mind I don't have a car

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Just found out today I got a place on the ride London 100 they are starting this year using the Olympic road race route courtesy of the nice people at Garmin. Only problem is after missing out in the original ballot I've arranged to take my mum to the Edinburgh tattoo on the night before the ride and the bloody sleeper doesn't run on a Saturday, anybody got any clever ideas how I can get myself and my trusty steed to London bearing in mind I don't have a car

Megabus? Or fly?

I've only got a soft bike bag so I'm a wee bit wary of that, I think I'll see if I can defer my entry until next year and settle for doing the second one, I'm doing the etape Mercia 2 weeks later so at least I'll be one of the first to do that

I use one of these - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Michelin-Hi-Power-Inflator-Detachable-Digital/dp/B000V5IG5U/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

It's designed for a car (and is powered from the 12v socket), but it works just as well for bikes and anything else that needs inflated, coming with adapters for presta valves and footballs etc. You just set the desired pressure and it stops inflating when it reaches it.

The first time I used it for my bike, my tires felt hard but the pressure was at least a third of what it should have been. I felt myself backing away as more and more air went in, afraid it would explode :lol:

ETA: obviously this isn't much use while on the move, but then it's not easy to carry a foot pump around either.

Edited by The Master

Just use a hand pump you bunch of lazy cants.

Hand pumps generally don't tell you the pressure.

As I said, my tires felt hard but were only a third full. But with a hand pump, I'd never have known that and would have stopped.

I have a hand pump which is clipped onto my bottle cage to take out with me, but the track pump is the only way to do it at home. No chance could I pump up to 110-120 psi with a hand pump.

My hand pump was only able to give me 60 psi, massive difference in the amount of punctures after i started using a floor pump to get my tires to 110psi

My hand pump was only able to give me 60 psi, massive difference in the amount of punctures after i started using a floor pump to get my tires to 110psi

FP: does high pressure give resistance to puncture? Like someone else said above, I tend to get scared, when inflating to the recommended pressures, that the tube won't take it!

FP: does high pressure give resistance to puncture? Like someone else said above, I tend to get scared, when inflating to the recommended pressures, that the tube won't take it!

Running tyres at the manufacturers suggested pressure should give extra resistance to punctures, but it can make for an uncomfy ride.

CO2 inflator for me. Takes up very little room and can easily inflate to 100psi in the blink of an eye.

If going on a very long ride I might take my mini-pump as a back-up, but would probably take my chances with the CO2 - it hasn't let me down so far.

In other news, this weather is stunning for rising but can be punishing when there are a few tasty hills involved - as I found out this morning *inserts blowing out my arse smiley*.

ETA: track pump when back at the house, of course.

A bit of heat stroke setting in.....

Edited by Drooper