Official P&b Cycling Thread

Looking for some help regarding my chain - and I apologise for the stupid question because I probably already know the answer - my chain has started to......well slip/crunch when I'm really pedalling hard. As if its jumping a link or something.

Anyway, I've never oiled it, is this a WD40 job or something more specific?

Looking for some help regarding my chain - and I apologise for the stupid question because I probably already know the answer - my chain has started to......well slip/crunch when I'm really pedalling hard. As if its jumping a link or something.

Firstly you should really keep the chain well oiled mate and although WD40 will release any stiffness it sounds like you may have other issues

If you haven't replaced your chain for some time and done a fair few miles, you could have either worn/ damaged the teeth on the rear cassette or the front rings

A tell tale sign if this is rather than them being symmetrical pyramid shape, they start taking on a shark fin shape appearance .

Replacing either can be costly , so really you're best to try and replace your chain every 12-18 months as a much cheaper solution .

Edited by Unleash The Nade

It's been a cracking week for cycling. I've managed to rack up 35 miles just going to/from work.

Saw something brilliant today - a numpty on a bike going through a no entry while a police van was stopped at the lights on the road. Last I saw, he/she was arguing with the officers. Glad to see the police taking notice of the people who give proper cyclists a bad name.

Buy a new chain, wipe it down after every cycle and give it a proper clean once a week.

WD40 is a decent degreaser but foaming chain cleaner is much better. Once it is sparkling and new let it dry out completely and apply a thin coating of lubricant. You'd be best using wet lube right now but you can get a more thicker and waxy lube for the drier months.

You can buy mechanical chain cleaners but I find that steel wool or oven scourers are far better for cleaning off the crud. Usually once I have the chain sparkling I rinse any detergents off with cold water and spray WD40 into all of the links, this forces out any water/soap which can cause it to rust.

At all costs avoid getting WD40 into the bearings on your cassette as it will also clear out all of the grease inside, and you'll end up with metal grinding on metal.

Edited by Broccoli Dog

Firstly you should really keep the chain well oiled mate and although WD40 will release any stiffness it sounds like you may have other issues

If you haven't replaced your chain for some time and done a fair few miles, you could have either worn/ damaged the teeth on the rear cassette or the front rings

A tell tale sign if this is rather than them being symmetrical pyramid shape, they start taking on a shark fin shape appearance .

Replacing either can be costly , so really you're best to try and replace your chain every 12-18 months as a much cheaper solution .

Cheers for this.

Best way for me to describe it is that I can be pedalling along in a gear doing a steady pace and everythings ok. However, if I then stand and try to hammer it a bit or I'm pushing uphill then it seems to kind of click/jump. Not really too sure how best to describe it but its like a tension thing.

Will oil it tomorrow, hasn't been oiled in 2 years and I don't cycle much but probably average about 30-50 miles a month.

Buy a new chain, wipe it down after every cycle and give it a proper clean once a week.

WD40 is a decent degreaser but foaming chain cleaner is much better. Once it is sparkling and new let it dry out completely and apply a thin coating of lubricant. You'd be best using wet lube right now but you can get a more thicker and waxy lube for the drier months.

You can buy mechanical chain cleaners but I find that steel wool or oven scourers are far better for cleaning off the crud. Usually once I have the chain sparkling I rinse any detergents off with cold water and spray WD40 into all of the links, this forces out any water/soap which can cause it to rust.

At all costs avoid getting WD40 into the bearings on your cassette as it will also clear out all of the grease inside, and you'll end up with metal grinding on metal.

Cheers.

I clearly know nothing about bikes because I clean it by chucking a basin of water over it every couple of months.

Cheers for this.

Best way for me to describe it is that I can be pedalling along in a gear doing a steady pace and everythings ok. However, if I then stand and try to hammer it a bit or I'm pushing uphill then it seems to kind of click/jump. Not really too sure how best to describe it but its like a tension thing.

Will oil it tomorrow, hasn't been oiled in 2 years and I don't cycle much but probably average about 30-50 miles a month.

wuu2 m8??? TB

Cheers for this.

Maybe the chains stretched or its stuff links which are causing the clicking and jumping

Suggest you try cheapest solution first and fit a new chain

Tbh, if you haven't oiled it in 2 years then its probably humped

Had a run before sitting down to watch the football today. 20k out to Cumbernauld and back in easily the most challenging conditions I've ever been out in. Solid Westerly with gusting.

Lost focus for a split second on an exposed section and ended up in a ditch. Fortunately I managed to get my foot out of the straps or I'd be doing the rest of the ride home covered head to toe in mud!

Maybe the chains stretched or its stuff links which are causing the clicking and jumping

Suggest you try cheapest solution first and fit a new chain

Tbh, if you haven't oiled it in 2 years then its probably humped

Surely the cheapest first solution would be to oil it?

Regardless, thanks for your advice :)

Surely the cheapest first solution would be to oil it?

Regardless, thanks for your advice :)

It sounds totally fucked and oiling it will make little difference.

Yes,oiling it regularly is the cheapest option, but since you're an idle cnut, next cheapest option is a new chain ;)