Official P&b Cycling Thread

There's a RAD event on Sunday starting 9.30 from Linlithgow. Run by West Lothian Clarion. 65miles but sounds informal. You can register on the morning. Costs a 5er.

Never tried one, but might give this a go.

Can someone give me their thoughts on this

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/revolution-track-13?bct=browse%2fbicycles%2froad-bikes

Haven't cycled since I had a shan mountain bike in my teens, never had a road bike. I'm only looking for something to commute to work on and go out and about on during the summer months, not looking to be Bradley Wiggins.

I really love the look of that bike (and the price!) but obviously won't buy if it is garbage. Can someone tell me the pros and cons of a singlespeed? I literally don't have the first idea.

Thanks.

Can someone give me their thoughts on this

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/revolution-track-13?bct=browse%2fbicycles%2froad-bikes

Haven't cycled since I had a shan mountain bike in my teens, never had a road bike. I'm only looking for something to commute to work on and go out and about on during the summer months, not looking to be Bradley Wiggins.

I really love the look of that bike (and the price!) but obviously won't buy if it is garbage. Can someone tell me

the pros and cons of a singlespeed? I literally don't have the first idea.

Thanks.

It a single speed track bike mate

Really no good for what you need it for

It a single speed track bike mate

Really no good for what you need it for

Cheers man, could you point me in the right direction of what I should be after? I really loved the look of that and it was cheap, that's basically the thought behind my selection process. :lol:

I plan on going to the Edinburgh bike coop and a few other places at the weekend, but would be nice to get an idea of what I should be after. Cheers.

Cheers man, could you point me in the right direction of what I should be after? I really loved the look of that and it was cheap, that's basically the thought behind my selection process. :lol:

I plan on going to the Edinburgh bike coop and a few other places at the weekend, but would be nice to get an idea of what I should be after. Cheers.

First set yourself a budget then ask yourself what type of cycling you want to do.

If its just for fiddling about and for general fitness, I would suggest a flat bar hybrid .

If you want to really get into it, then a drop bar road bike,

Don't go by looks but go by manufacturer and reliability based on reviews etc.

Be carefull If buying second hand as the bike may look good , but things like bearings, bottom brackets, cassettes,cables etc, etc may be humped and cost you lots to replace.

If you let me know what type of cycling you plan to do and what your maximum budget is , I'm happy to make a few suggestions

Cheers Unleash The Nade.

To be honest, I don't want to spend upwards of £300 at the moment (I'm aware that limits my options), and would be using it for commuting and general fitness. But that would be every day of the week basically, and I would definitely get serious about it if I enjoyed it.

With that in mind, look forward to your suggestions. :)

Cheers Unleash The Nade.

To be honest, I don't want to spend upwards of £300 at the moment (I'm aware that limits my options), and would be using it for commuting and general fitness. But that would be every day of the week basically, and I would definitely get serious about it if I enjoyed it.

Personally, I would go with a hybrid, which will also cope with dirt paths etc. If you want something capable of more off road then a hard tail mountain bike is a good shout (this is what I have, I have slick tyres on it most of the time).

If you are going to take it seriously you will want to upgrade in time.

Cheers Unleash The Nade.

If you can fit a 51cm frame this is possibly the best deal you will ever see http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-uk-id_8274036.html

Otherwise this is a decent option http://www.decathlon.co.uk/btwin-triban-300-road-bike-id_8239800.html, only difference is a slightly inferior gear set and no carbon forks

Edited by fanny paddery

I ride a 63cm Red Triban 3 and have never had a better bike.

Ditto this.

Great bikes for the money you pay. I know a guy who used to be a cycling pro and he said he was surprised at how well the Triban 3 ran for a £300 bike.

If you need any info or more advice on the B'twin triban range then let me know.

I did spot this bike the other day online in sale and it's a great bike for the money also.

http://www.sportingpro.co.uk/dbr-sprint-bike-red

Good gearset and aluminium frame!

Edited by zidane's child

Ditto this.

Great bikes for the money you pay. I know a guy who used to be a cycling pro and he said he was surprised at how well the Triban 3 ran for a £300 bike.

If you need any info or more advice on the B'twin triban range then let me know.

I did spot this bike the other day online in sale and it's a great bike for the money also.

http://www.sportingpro.co.uk/dbr-sprint-bike-red

Good gearset and aluminium frame!

Whilst I'm not knocking the Triban, its a wee bit odd that they state," Outings on the Triban 3 should be up to 45 miles"

Just makes me a wee bit suspicious of the quality of the components and also comfort

Whilst I'm not knocking the Triban, its a wee bit odd that they state," Outings on the Triban 3 should be up to 45 miles"

Just makes me a wee bit suspicious of the quality of the components and also comfort

Yeah I did notice that aswell but a recent discussion on the forum suggests it is merely a gauge for customers looking at bikes for sportives/charity rides.

I've known guys to cycle from London to Paris & 100 miles trips on the triban 3 and have only complained of punctures!

Bandofbrothers: welcome to the plodders club. If speed's not important, then a hybrid sounds like it's for you. I'm on my second one and chose an inexpensive one each time. My present one - a Python - has been going for about 10 years. But I'm old and don't mind being overtaken!

Remember also that there's a reconditioned second-hand scene often run by bike enthusiasts with machines modified to your requirements. One of the Boldinos got a good deal from such an outlet in Maryhill ahead of a French tour last year.

But it does come with 648 spare wheels.