Official P&b Cycling Thread

Still not been on the bike this year, because the weather has been horrific since New Year.

But in preparation, I've bought one of these - http://www.evanscycles.com/products/delta/airzound-2-horn-ec009169?country=GB&currency=GBP&utm_content=mkwid__pcrid_17321847296_kword__match__plid_&gclid=COq01O_Po7wCFVKWtAodf3MAJQ

It won't replace my bell, but it's there for situations where being as loud as a car horn comes in handy.

Really ??

I think you'll find yelling "c**t" ,is every bit as effective

Really ??

I think you'll find yelling "c**t" ,is every bit as effective

True, but that tends to only be of use after the event.

If someone, say, goes to pull out in front of me on a busy roundabout, my voice can easily get lost in the traffic. But a blast of this will make them think twice, because it sounds like a car horn. There's a few good videos on YouTube showing the effect.

Then I can tell them I'll see them next Tuesday.

Edited by The Master

Gentle cruise from paisley to glasgow town centre, I dont usually cycle around the town or towards these busier sort of areas. But see the amount of f**king idiots who cycle up there on roads with no lights.

well back to normal cruising this morning to work

Saw a guy cycling along South Bridge in Edinburgh. Red light at the rear, red light at the front. What is that about?

I saw a guy who uses a white light which flashes at both ends of the bike. Confusing as!

Thats against the highway code.

At night your cycle MUST have white front and red rear lights lit. It MUST also be fitted with a red rear reflector (and amber pedal reflectors, if manufactured after 1/10/85). White front reflectors and spoke reflectors will also help you to be seen. Flashing lights are permitted but it is recommended that cyclists who are riding in areas without street lighting use a steady front lamp.

https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82/overview-59-to-71

First time out for three months yesterday. Managed fifteen miles, but was knackered at the end.

My first shot at the Etape in May looks a long way off. :(

Best of luck..

I haven't been in the saddle since July 2013... was hoping to do a sportive or audax in the summer. Not so sure now..?

The first outings are gonna be painful for sure...!

Best of luck..

Cheers. Went out again yesterday late morning. Got soaked and really struggled coming back into the wind.

30 miles at 14mph. Pretty happy with that. Target for the Etape is 5 1/2 hours, which is challenging but achievable I think.

Not quite in the same league as all the road bike guys on here, but got myself a hybrid on the cycle to work scheme and went out for a quick potter about EK yeasterday morning. Quick potter about town, ended up halfway between Blantyre and Uddingston as I got a bit carried away.

f**k me, but someone wants to put some sort of ski lift style mechanism in place to get people back up that hill on the way back :P Fecking knackering.

Not quite in the same league as all the road bike guys on here, but got myself a hybrid on the cycle to work scheme and went out for a quick potter about EK yeasterday morning. Quick potter about town, ended up halfway between Blantyre and Uddingston as I got a bit carried away.

f**k me, but someone wants to put some sort of ski lift style mechanism in place to get people back up that hill on the way back :P Fecking knackering.

Welcome to the plodders' club, Count.

• 3 weeks later...

I cycled from Edinburgh to the Falkirk Wheel on the Union canal path yesterday, longest ride I've done.

Really enjoyed it, stopped in Linlithgow and got a sandwich. I had thought I could just get some lunch in Falkirk but was pretty hungry by the tmie I got there. The path is tarmac around urban areas but is pretty bumpy and muddy elsewhere. Weather was good only a few showers.

My arse and thighs are killing me today :lol: Glad I got the train home, even though it's cheating.