Official P&b Cycling Thread

Go to your local bike shop and ask if they have any boxes that bikes were delivered in, as they just chuck them

A couple of guys did this when we went to Majorca last year and it worked a treat

Go to your local Wickes,Homebase,B&Q etc, buy some of this, split it and fit it round the frame & forks for added protection

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Pipe-Insulation-Byelaw-15mmx1m-PK3/p/210010

why didn't I think of the local bike shop just called them and he'll keep me them. Thanks for that and was thinking bubble wrap bit they look better. Cheers

I'm quite chuffed with myself that I managed to replace my own brakes during the week. My front ones had been loose for a while and when I went to tighten them I found the spring on one side had gone.

So I read up on the workings, bought a new set and successfully fitted them with only a minor hiccup - I hadn't tightened one of the blocks enough and it worked loose just as I was arriving at work on Wednesday. But v-brakes are surprisingly simple things, both to fit and tweak.

Next...gears! The most I know is that small at the front should line up with big at the back (i.e. with the chain on both it's perfectly straight). Beyond that I haven't a scooby.

10 members from Falkirk Bike Club, will be attempting to "Everest" The Crow Road, from the Lennoxtown side tomorrow.

For those of you not familiar with this, its climbing and descending the same hill, from the same start point ,until you've climbed the equivalent hight of Everest,so just over 29,000 feet of climbing on what's a tough local hill!.

They're starting at 3am tomorrow morning and reckon it'll take them around 17 hours to compete this.

Rules and regulations are very strict and can be found here http://www.everesting.cc/.

They're attempting to be the first people in Scotland to do this and to date only 7 people in the UK have managed this and 70 worldwide.

It's an epic task and they're going to need all the support they can get.

If you're out that way on your bike tomorrow, go along and give the guys some encouragement and if you feel up to it, give them a wheel to hang on to on as many ascents as you can manage, as this will be as tough a mental and psychological challenge as it will be physical

These are the club colours to look out for,so if possible, go along and give them some encouragement.

fbc pic.jpg

9 out of the 10 starters completed this yesterday which is a remarkable achievement.

The first in Scotland to do this , one was the first female rider in Europe to do this and they are now part of only 79 people in the world to have achieved this amazing feat

9 out of the 10 starters completed this yesterday which is a remarkable achievement.

The first in Scotland to do this , one was the first female rider in Europe to do this and they are now part of only 79 people in the world to have achieved this amazing feat

What an achievement! Incredible stuff.

Helmet duly doffed (MATRON!).

Brilliant. Any Strava links for this?

Need to replace the big cassette on my triban 3, is this an easy task?

If you mean the front chainrings then it's not too hard but you will need to buy the correct tools first.

Great effort.

Am I the only one who thinks this is a bad idea?

Glasgow unveils bike hire scheme at 31 city locations

For me, anyone who's serious about cycling will buy their own bike, whether it's an expensive carbon-framed road bike from a reputable dealer, or a BSO from Asda or Tesco.

A lot of the justified ire (as opposed to blind hatred) directed towards "cyclists" in London tends to be people on Boris Bikes who jump on without having a clue about how to behave on the roads (and indeed pavements).

For me, anyone who's serious about cycling will buy their own bike, whether it's an expensive carbon-framed road bike from a reputable dealer, or a BSO from Asda or Tesco.

A lot of the justified ire (as opposed to blind hatred) directed towards "cyclists" in London tends to be people on Boris Bikes who jump on without having a clue about how to behave on the roads (and indeed pavements).

I think it is a good idea, although I dislike the execution of it. Seems cheaply done but complex to do, using apps and phoning.

If you live here then yes you'll probably buy a bike, unless you are an occasional user with nowhere to put a bike. What it is designed to do is cater for tourists or commuters onward journeys. For example if you commute into Glasgow on the train and are heading to Glasgow Uni picking up a bike rather than cramming onto the subway is a viable option (at least when it is not hosing it down!).

The Boris bike ire in London is unfair. You have tourists who suffer from assuming bikes are treated like they are in continental cities and often aren't used to riding on the left. They also aren't sure of the cut and thrust of London traffic- no bad thing, but makes them do 'silly' things because they don't know how things 'work'. For me the worst cycling in London that I've seen is from couriers or from a small number of commuters.

Edited by flyingscot

They've got them in Liverpool as well. I think the best way to improve safety and attitudes is for cycling to be an everyday thing for more people. I think it's a decent idea.

Edited by Carl Cort's Hamstring

People shouldn't need to have a clue about how to behave on roads. Infrastructure should exist so that anyone can simple jump on a bike and ride safely.

Need to replace the big cassette on my triban 3, is this an easy task?

If you mean the rear cassette it's very simple - especially if you have a chain wrench tool. Also a chance to change the ratios a bit you want a bit more grunt at the top or bottom. I wouldn't attempt the front end myself but that's up to you!

After years of struggling with small hands pulling on the breaks whilst in the drops I recently fitted 2 wee shims - cost 4.95 - what a fookin difference on long rides.

Got my first road bike in May and so far have had two broken spokes.

(One tangling with the rear derailleur and twisting it up into the wheel. Thankfully the shop replaced the derailleur free)

Is it a fairly normal occurrence with road bikes or have I just been unlucky?

Is it safe enough to cycle home/to a shop for a repair or will it knacker the wheel?

It's a great idea. Most major European cities have them and it's a great way to see the place. The success of the scheme in Paris is good; not only tourists, but people in business dress, old ladies and girls in dresses use it. You can even do the last stage of the Tour de France, although the Arc de Triumph is a bit hairy!

Got my first road bike in May and so far have had two broken spokes.

(One tangling with the rear derailleur and twisting it up into the wheel. Thankfully the shop replaced the derailleur free)

Is it a fairly normal occurrence with road bikes or have I just been unlucky?

Is it safe enough to cycle home/to a shop for a repair or will it knacker the wheel?

I don't suppose you know how or when it happened?

It can range from a big pothole, bad luck or you being too heavy, so tricky to get an exact cause.

It's fine to cycle with a broken spoke so long as there's no rubbing and you secure the broken one. I did Pedal for Scotland once with a broken spoke after 20 km!

It's probably a mixture between rough roads and weight then.

I'm 14.7 stone and it's a Raleigh revenio 1.

The first one where it got tangled in the derailleur i didn't here it pop, the second one yesterday though I heard it and unscrewed it.

Ill cycle it to the repair shop this morning then.

There is a bit of rubbing on the brake pads but not much when I'm on the bike.

Edited by Senior_Coconut

Looking for a bit of wheel advice looking to buy a set of either or the below but can’t decide on which I know they are in a pretty similar price bracket but don’t want to go above this as with whats left of the budget I’m going to get some gatorskins, I’m swaying towards Fulcrum should add it's pretty much a halfords deal

Fulcrum Racing 5 or 7

Campagnolo Khamsin or vento

RS11

Edited by paisleysaints

My hands/wrists get quite sore when cycling for any distance, does anyone have any tips for reducing the pain?

Make sure youre set up properly on your bike

If youre not used to cycling long distances, they can become a bit sore at first, but you get used to it.

Make sure youre saddle and handlebars are in correct position, so youre not putting too much weight through your hands and wrists.

You could also be gripping too hard

some suggestions here

http://bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/18004/how-to-prevent-wrist-pain-on-road-bikes

My hands/wrists get quite sore when cycling for any distance, does anyone have any tips for reducing the pain?

Nurofen.

Try moving them around a bit more, from the hoods to the drops etc. Going back to my earlier post - can you reach the break handles easily?