Official P&b Cycling Thread

At the other end of the distance scale, been out for a jaunt on the outskirts of EK this morning. Just under 17km in glorious sunshine to work on my sunburn.

On Sunday there, I did a ride with the Camglen Biketown club from Rutherglen through South Glasgow up to Whitelee Windfarm. Then back via EK. Wonderful views of Glasgow coming down thro Nerston. I'd never been that road before.

It has been a fantastic day for cycling. I done 22 miles on a reverse route I did on Monday with a couple extra wee climbs.

Although I'm a bit annoyed - I've had my bike a month and I have my first issue. My rear wheel is wobbling as it turns. I'm due a 6 week check by the shop I bought it from and I was thinking the end of the week but I've to wait 2 weeks. After a bit of reading on t'internet it seems like loose spokes and the wheel needs 'trued'. So I'll phone them tomorrow and hopefully get it done sooner.

On Sunday there, I did a ride with the Camglen Biketown club from Rutherglen through South Glasgow up to Whitelee Windfarm. Then back via EK. Wonderful views of Glasgow coming down thro Nerston. I'd never been that road before.

Aye, one of the good things about having been born and raised in EK is you can really go 5 minutes in most directions and hit some genuinely nice views :)

I feel absolutely ashamed having read the last 2 pages but here goes. I haven't used my bike in about 3 years and I've carried out very little exercise in that time (the odd game of 5s being all I've really done) so thought I would get the bike back out and cycle to work today. It's a 6 mile journey, with 1 hill (if you can even call it that), all good terrain and by the end of the first mile I was coughing up a lung and trying to fish out a now dead fly from eye. Thought it was a mistake by the time I got to work and my legs were crying out for rest and I was fighting back a whitey but I felt fine after half an hour and I'm actually looking forward to my trip home. Hoping to do this at least 3 times a week from now on, which may be ambitious but I'll see how it goes.

I feel absolutely ashamed having read the last 2 pages but here goes. I haven't used my bike in about 3 years and I've carried out very little exercise in that time (the odd game of 5s being all I've really done) so thought I would get the bike back out and cycle to work today. It's a 6 mile journey, with 1 hill (if you can even call it that), all good terrain and by the end of the first mile I was coughing up a lung and trying to fish out a now dead fly from eye. Thought it was a mistake by the time I got to work and my legs were crying out for rest and I was fighting back a whitey but I felt fine after half an hour and I'm actually looking forward to my trip home. Hoping to do this at least 3 times a week from now on, which may be ambitious but I'll see how it goes.

Go for it, mate.

Think I'll probably look at getting a new bike. The one I'm using was bought second hand and is falling apart. Anyone recommend a decent guide that will help me work out exactly what I should waste my money on?

Edited by Ross.

I got my first decent bike less than a year ago and was the same. Struggled to do anything over a few miles at first without breathing out my arse. Don't get close to the distances some of the guys on here do on their road bikes but I can still rattle off some fairly half decent runs now. You'll be fine after a few weeks.

Edited by AberdeenBud

No, through Linlithgow and Kirkliston, then picked up NCN route 1 into the centre. That's quicker for me.

The eastern part of the Pedal for Scotland route. The canal would be an interesting alternative for you when you've plenty of time.

Been off work last couple of days and great timing for a couple of runs on the bike. Just Irvine to Ardrossan & back Wednesday and Irvine to Troon today & back. Played 5s tonight and was blowing out my arse after 10 minutes, feel pretty unfit but was same this timr last year and by September was managing 45 km runs. I really don't know how people can do 80 plus miles a day. I've got a mountain bike I have had for 8 years so could do with something better or faster but don't feel worth the money for short distance runs just to keep the weight down and getting fit.

Edited by Shannon

Another nice day, and 26 km knocked out this morning with some cracking views again. EK down to Nerston, back up by the heritage loch to the tax office, then out to Thorntonhall, then up to Jackton and back into EK at the Auldhouse end. Great run when the weather's nice and ideal if you need practice on loads of wee hills.

You on strava?

The eastern part of the Pedal for Scotland route. The canal would be an interesting alternative for you when you've plenty of time.

Yeah. Hoping to give the canal a go on the way home one evening when the weather is good. :-)

My cheap-as-f**k road bike is an absolute state right now. :lol:

Some of the spokes are loose and I've had to remove one. I'm saving for a new, good bike so don't really want to have to spend too much on it, how much would I be looking at to repair something like that?

I do about 70 miles a week for work so just need it to hold out for another couple of weeks before I get my new bike. Can I get away with leaving it?

Edited by Mr Romanov

What's the canal route like? I'm moving to Edinburgh shortly and hopefully I'll be getting out on the bike before too long. Seems to be a good few cycle routes in Edinburgh along the old railway lines and also by the tram track. It seems I've got a decent cycle route from Gorgie to my new work at Riccarton by following the tram line and then going along the canal for a bit.