Official P&b Cycling Thread

So far so good on the cycling front (apart from having to ascend about 70 metres in about a nanometre on the way home). Anyway, any recommendations on a good lightweight waterproof for the coming weeks? Doubt I'll be cycling in the pissing rain but something that should keep me dry but encourage sweatiness.

Also, my back brake is squeeking. Is it about to fall off?

There are lots of kinds and some really expensive

If you don't want to spend a lot and don't mind sweating like VikingTon in a room full of females, try this

http://www.sportsdirect.com/muddyfox-cycling-jacket-mens-635061?colcode=63506112

The cycle to work was really enjoyable this morning, a bit cool to begin with but nothing serious. The low sun however was a nightmare and I'm sure some of the traffic coming up behind never saw me until they were very close.

I'm on holiday next week so this week might be my last 'cycle to work' for 2015?

Looking for some help here P&B, maybe one of you has had something similar happen.

Someone has chained their bike to the same railing as me and in doing so has chained my bike to the railing with their lock so I can't move my bike. Just noticed it this morning and had to walk to work so I'm hoping the offending bike is away when I finish work later on.

Don't know what to do if it's still there though. Any advice? Should also add, anyone planning to lock their bike up at Buchanan bus station: be a wear!

This has just happened to me at Queen Street! The swine's lock looks fairly sturdy so I doubt I'll be able to get it off.

It's an epidemic! Be a wear!

I left it from 5pm-11pm then it was still attached. I asked in the station and one of the attendants grabbed some bolt cutters and took care of his lock with one go.

Shows you how flimsy these locks actually are, if someone wants to steal the bike and has the tools it can be gone in seconds.

He then tied the guys bike up with the loose chain, it was gone this morning...

Edited by ilostmyself

What do guys do for winter commuting? I'm currently on a 700cX32 hybrid, but have almost decked it a couple of times on wet leaves and manhole covers recently, which isn't exactly making me confident for the impending snow and ice apocalypse over the next few months. I am cosidering getting a cheap mountain bike for the winter, but I was wondering if sticking chunkier tyres on the hybrid might do the trick?

What do guys do for winter commuting? I'm currently on a 700cX32 hybrid, but have almost decked it a couple of times on wet leaves and manhole covers recently, which isn't exactly making me confident for the impending snow and ice apocalypse over the next few months. I am cosidering getting a cheap mountain bike for the winter, but I was wondering if sticking chunkier tyres on the hybrid might do the trick?

I used to do all my winter commuting on an old steel hardtail - 1992 Kona Cindercone. Bombproof, and the geometry of that time means the riding positions pretty road friendly as well. 2.1 tyre up front, 1.9 on the back. Hybrids were always too upright for me, I felt like Nerys Hughes in the opening of the District Nurse (was that what it was called?). Ancient Kona CC / lava dome / fire mountain or speshy rockhopper or mid / low end Marin off Gumtree if you could get one would be brilliant IMO Edited by carpetmonster

• 2 weeks later...

Actually wasn't as bad as I expected.

We did 62 miles at an average of 19.3 mph.

I was a bit tired at the end, but the gym work I've been keeping up certainly paid off

We were cycling home past the Station Hotel about 1.30pm and a few of your guys were just pulling in there. By the look of them it may have been the sick note group. ;-)

Abandoned the bike at work yesterday and took the bus home.

The mist and fog put the end to my 'cycle to work' efforts for this year.

Farmers depositing most of their field on the road and scary overtaking decisions by impatient motorists did compound the decision though... <_<

What's the deal with the cycle lane in Cambridge street in Glasgow, it's quite disconcerting for it to be on the right hand side of the road rather than the left. Feels like you're about to cycle into oncoming traffic.

It is suicidal and nobody should ever use it.

It really is, no idea what they were thinking with it.

I've had a look on Google and the only reason I can think of is to avoid conflict with left-turning vehicles.

But the solution to that is to better educate drivers about not overtaking cyclists then turning left. Not push cyclists into an unnatural and even more dangerous position on the road.

Edited by The Master