Official P&b Cycling Thread

Cheers for the responses so far, folks.

I see that Decathlon have a magnetic resistance trainer with handlebar-adjustable resistance for £79.99 - here.

Does anyone think this would be sufficient for what I'm after?

Went out yesterday and done a fairly flat 25k in an hour and 9 minutes. Not sure if that is good or bad in terms of pace, but it was fairly comfortable. Some excellent bike paths around here, will be checking out as many of them as I can in the next few weeks.

Went out yesterday and done a fairly flat 25k in an hour and 9 minutes. Not sure if that is good or bad in terms of pace, but it was fairly comfortable. Some excellent bike paths around here, will be checking out as many of them as I can in the next few weeks.

For me, there isn't really such a thing as good or bad when it comes to pace. Some days you feel up for thrashing it, other days you fancy a leisurely trundle, taking in the scenery. Weather conditions and road surface impact, too (as do numerous other variables). Just enjoy it, would be my advice :)

What's the difference between that and the rollers I believe you can get? Hoping to train through the winter to push myself on.

Also, I assume you can attach any bike to it? I'd be using it mainly for my road bike, but the wife might want to use it for her mountain bike.

No one seems to have answered this, yes you can attach any bike to a turbo trainer it is secured by the nuts and bolts that dold your wheel on and you can adjust it to any bike.

With a turbo trainer at least you can stop and be held upright whereas if you use rollers you just have to keep going!

Cracking day for a bike commute, but it was bloody chilly this morning. So much so, than I put the roubaix fleecy bib-tights on for the first time since April. Hardly a breath of wind here either.

On my arrival at work, people were queuing up to see me, though, so they were subjected to my lycra-clad glory until 10.45am before I had a chance to get changed. What a way for them to start their weekend :lol:

Managed my first 50k on the bike this afternoon, just over 3 hours. It was actually only 49.68k according to the tracker I have but no one is taking it away from me. Also managed to survive my first fall, front wheel slipped away from me on a corner on a fairly gravelly path I was on. Not looking forward to having a shower right now, it is stinging like f*ck as it is!

Managed my first 50k on the bike this afternoon, just over 3 hours. It was actually only 49.68k according to the tracker I have but no one is taking it away from me. Also managed to survive my first fall, front wheel slipped away from me on a corner on a fairly gravelly path I was on. Not looking forward to having a shower right now, it is stinging like f*ck as it is!

Good stuff (fall excepted of course).

Wire brush and Dettol should do the trick for the road-rash ;)

No one seems to have answered this, yes you can attach any bike to a turbo trainer it is secured by the nuts and bolts that dold your wheel on and you can adjust it to any bike.

With a turbo trainer at least you can stop and be held upright whereas if you use rollers you just have to keep going!

Cheers. Turbo trainer it is then.

Woke up this morning, saw a bit of wind but otherwise decent conditions. Took the bike.

Why didn't I listen to the weather forecast? It's already blowing a gale and pissing with rain outside and it's expected to get worse as the day goes on <_<

After going in what must be my thirty-sixth cream puff at the weather this year I snapped, went through to Decathlon and bought a turbo trainer. Got it set up in the spare room with the bike and a yellow pages under the front wheel. Going to stick an episode of Band of Brothers on tonight and see how many miles I can get done in the hour.

After going in what must be my thirty-sixth cream puff at the weather this year I snapped, went through to Decathlon and bought a turbo trainer. Got it set up in the spare room with the bike and a yellow pages under the front wheel. Going to stick an episode of Band of Brothers on tonight and see how many miles I can get done in the hour.

It gets 'affy cosy' and you'll sweat like mad.....

I just did half hour stints last winter. Mind you, I'm an oldie and was pretty f***ed after 30 minutes anyway......:(

Finally took the plunge and upgraded my crumbling, rusty, two ton, ten speed mountain bike, for a sleek and sexy steel framed track bike. As this means it is probably going to be a more substantial target for theives any advice on tagging, RFID chips, GPS trackers, or whatever would be nice.

Is it worthwhile putting any sort of chip in my frame, is it really going to deter a thief any more than an extra U-Lock?

Edited by Broccoli Dog