Official P&b Cycling Thread

In the unlikely event that anyone's interested, I spotted that driving instructor's car again today and took note of the name. I've just fired off an email with the stills, not really to complain but offering them as a teaching aid for the student that was driving.

In the unlikely event that anyone's interested, I spotted that driving instructor's car again today and took note of the name. I've just fired off an email with the stills, not really to complain but offering them as a teaching aid for the student that was driving.

Well played

I got a reply.

The gist is that he felt it was a safe distance and my photos (apparently) show that. But the most worrying aspect was that he felt it was safe after considering all factors including oncoming traffic - in other words, there was no thought to stay back; it was "must overtake, therefore how".

I can't really be arsed arguing back. If I had the time or inclination I could estimate the distance by using the double yellow lines for scale, but I don't. Hopefully he at least thinks twice when teaching overtaking in future. If not for our benefit, for his pupils' - I'm confident that would have been an instant fail had it happened on a test.

I got a reply.

The gist is that he felt it was a safe distance and my photos (apparently) show that. But the most worrying aspect was that he felt it was safe after considering all factors including oncoming traffic - in other words, there was no thought to stay back; it was "must overtake, therefore how".

I can't really be arsed arguing back. If I had the time or inclination I could estimate the distance by using the double yellow lines for scale, but I don't. Hopefully he at least thinks twice when teaching overtaking in future. If not for our benefit, for his pupils' - I'm confident that would have been an instant fail had it happened on a test.

You can only make people aware of the company and your dealings with them. Let them make up their own mind.

I got a reply.

aye but your first pic has an oncoming car just going by his windscreen. He ll argue its safe because you re healthy enough to argue about it. More likely he wanted by before the road narrows and goes uphill where a learner may struggle more with a cyclist. You ve done all you could.

I turned to gesture at a car thinking it would try and pass me between two road islands only for it to slow and tuck in behind till clear. cue lots of thumbs up, waves and happy horning beeping.

12 miles this morning, average time of 4 minutes a mile. A lot faster than usual, helped by the fact I wasn't cycling head into an east wind, and I ditched a lot of the junk I usually carry.

Feeling pious right now. Just finished a circuit of Arran. I did it decades ago, but now I'm quite an old fellow. Enjoyed it thoroughly, but I have to say I found it hard. Did it anticlockwise so the big test came early, starting from Brodick. The climb up to Lochranza was energy sapping but there are numerous shorter but steep climbs. And how come the wind always seemed to be against me in a circuit?!

Preceded this by cycling from South Ayrshire to Ardrossan on routes 7 and 73 - actually very enjoyable getting away from the traffic.

they kept this quiet....http://www.planetx.co.uk/news/planet-x-news/q/date/2014/04/01/planet-x-edinburgh-open-for-business great to see Planet X venture into Edinburgh....

Oooh. I know where I'm going at lunchtime!

Did my morning run from Airdrie to Bathgate this morning, ditched some more guff from the bag and managed an average of 3:53 a mile. Quite an improvement for me.

The only place left to shift any weight from now is my belly...

Nutrition advice anyone?

Cycling the Etape Caledonia in May. First time I've done an event of that length (81miles).

Read quite a bit, but needing some simple rules.

Assuming you're setting out in the morning, have a good breakfast.

Try and have something like porridge or Weetabix, with maybe a banana chopped through it

With regards to staying fuelled up during the event, firstly stay as hydrated as possible.

Waters fine,but some of the energy drinks and powders you can buy to add also help.

I'm assuming there will be water and food stations along the route, if not, take 2 water bottles.

Theres lots of opinions whats best to eat during long rides.

Many guys take these energy gels, which are basically have a high caffine content and do give you a boost.

The main benefit they have is easy to take and swallow when on the move.

For me, its hard to beat Scottish tablet, as gives you a great energy boost due to the high sugar content.Jelly babies are also a great way of doing this, as is Turkish Delight!.

It you want something different, I often take a coupe of slices of wholemeal bread, with peanut butter, or if you don't like that Nutella, or a combination of both.

Last but not least, the cyclists favourite.a banana.

So in summary, for this length of ride I'd personally take

2 bottles of water

1 banana

1 cake of tablet

1 peanut butter sandwich

1 bag of about a dozen jelly babies

they kept this quiet....http://www.planetx.co.uk/news/planet-x-news/q/date/2014/04/01/planet-x-edinburgh-open-for-business great to see Planet X venture into Edinburgh....

Not a bad wee shop. Very limited range of hi-vis gear, but some of their stuff, bibs for example, are really good and reasonably priced.

So in summary, for this length of ride I'd personally take

2 bottles of water

1 banana

1 cake of tablet

1 peanut butter sandwich

1 bag of about a dozen jelly babies

That's roughly what I'd take, except I prefer honey sandwiches and home made flapjack to peanut butter and tablet.

Always try to eat before your stomach rumbles, then it's too late!

One big 600ml bottle energy drink then top up with water at feedstation.

4 x gels.

1 banana.

Then as near halfway as possible one scotch egg and some jelly beans. Aldi's were best, but they're not doing them any more. The scotch egg is the most important though.

That'll get me through the etape loch ness.

Always try to eat before your stomach rumbles, then it's too late!

Thanks all. I'll take it onboard.

Hadn't thought about sandwiches, and certainly not about a Scotch egg. :D

I've read that you should eat something every 45 mins, even if you aren't hungry.

So just recently started cycling. I'm using strava which I like. I tend to cycle into Edinburgh from Bathgate and get the train back as I buy healthy nutritious beer while there. My pace has improved and I'm adding more hills on my rides.