Official P&b Cycling Thread

Picked up my new commuter bike yesterday. Took me ages to work out how to attach the bags to the rack at the back :lol: 

ETA: Can anyone recommend a light for use on the rear of a pannier rack? The rear light I'll use might get a little bit blocked by bags so having an extra light at the back of the rack will be helpful. Or can you just buy a generic mount with fixings and place a light on there?

Edited by RiG

First proper ride on the new bike today...love it.  

I've held off on the clipless front because I was told to give the clipped-in pedals a go first to see how I get on in terms of remembering that I can't just lift my foot off. So far so good...although let's hope I've not now jinxed it :lol:  

7 hours ago, The Master said:

First proper ride on the new bike today...love it.  

I've held off on the clipless front because I was told to give the clipped-in pedals a go first to see how I get on in terms of remembering that I can't just lift my foot off. So far so good...although let's hope I've not now jinxed it :lol:  

Clipless are clipped in!! :o

7 hours ago, RiG said:

Picked up my new commuter bike yesterday. Took me ages to work out how to attach the bags to the rack at the back :lol: 

ETA: Can anyone recommend a light for use on the rear of a pannier rack? The rear light I'll use might get a little bit blocked by bags so having an extra light at the back of the rack will be helpful. Or can you just buy a generic mount with fixings and place a light on there?

There might be some small straps or loops at the back of your pannier bags that you can attach rear lights to 

2 hours ago, Unleash The Nade said:

There might be some small straps or loops at the back of your pannier bags that you can attach rear lights to 

Can't spot anything obvious on the bags although the description does mention LED attachment points so I'm probably missing them. Definitely a spot on the rack for a light mount though.

Edited by RiG

I've deduced that my problem (for want of a better description) with my hands and my bike is that the padding on my gloves is basically non-existent. It's a bit like the discomfort you get from sitting on the saddle for too long without padded shorts - not sore as such, just a bit uncomfortable.

Can anyone recommend some decent gloves (both full and half finger) with good padding around the base of the thumb? 

On 14/06/2018 at 13:34, The Master said:

I've deduced that my problem (for want of a better description) with my hands and my bike is that the padding on my gloves is basically non-existent. It's a bit like the discomfort you get from sitting on the saddle for too long without padded shorts - not sore as such, just a bit uncomfortable.

Can anyone recommend some decent gloves (both full and half finger) with good padding around the base of the thumb? 

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/airway-cycling-gloves-id_8358222.html

I have these (although the padding looks slightly different) and I quite like them.

They are sized on the small side so would suggest you try them for fit rather than buy on-line.

Edit

Was in Decathlon Edinburgh today and the padding on these are nothing like the ones I bought last year. 

I was gonna buy them again but decided against.

Edited by broon-loon

• 2 weeks later...

Heading off up north to start my NC500 challenge .

Exaclty 511 miles with 34,757 feet of climbing over the next 7 days 

Mixed emotions as really looking forward to it , but know it’s going to be brutal and hope I can complete it.

On the plus side , weather looks like it’s going to be kind 

I like these - https://www.rei.com/product/846819/pearl-izumi-elite-gel-bike-gloves-womens

I'm sure there's a men's equivalent but I've got small hands and can get away with a women's size L. Which are often cheaper, for whatever reason

• 2 weeks later...

An enjoyable 20-mile pre-WC Final cycle this afternoon.

Started off heading out to Monifieth on the costal path, then looped back towards the west of the city on the Green Circular before deciding that the top of Dundee Law wasn't too far away...

IMG_6438.thumb.JPG.6a478a0b7f76167519d488a3faf35d3e.JPG

Spontaneous rides with no pre-planned route are always the best.

An enjoyable 20-mile pre-WC Final cycle this afternoon.
Started off heading out to Monifieth on the costal path, then looped back towards the west of the city on the Green Circular before deciding that the top of Dundee Law wasn't too far away...
IMG_6438.thumb.JPG.6a478a0b7f76167519d488a3faf35d3e.JPG
Spontaneous rides with no pre-planned route are always the best.

Law hill is class love it up there. I’ve been going along riverside and the nature trail recently. Headed over the tay bridge last week. Few good routes beside me. Like going up birkhill then along and down to liff

I've just ordered a pair of 'DHB Classic' shorts from Wiggle. Nae idea if they are gel or foam mind you, I'm guessing they are foam based on the price (45 quid). I also ordered a cheapish gel saddle cover to help with the first couple of months, it's something I'm keen to use sparingly until my arse develops a heel like layer of thick hardened cyclist skin.

Planning a 30 miler up Loch Lomond on Saturday morning to kick things off so here's hoping the old derriere holds up.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Pie and Bovril mobile app

The DHB shorts and a few longish cycles have really helped improve the arse soreness. Cheers to all who suggested these. I do however have another issue... soreness in my hands. Once I hit about 10 miles my hands start getting really uncomfortable holding onto the grips and I find myself gripping onto the ends of the bars for 5 minutes here and there to relieve the stress. I was out in the pissing rain for a couple of hours today and that is the worst I have felt it.

Can anyone recommend anything to help with this? A quick google would suggest bar ends may be the answer but being a complete noob I've no idea how easy these would be to fit or whether they would be compatible with my bike (Carrera Subway 2).

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

The DHB shorts and a few longish cycles have really helped improve the arse soreness. Cheers to all who suggested these. I do however have another issue... soreness in my hands. Once I hit about 10 miles my hands start getting really uncomfortable holding onto the grips and I find myself gripping onto the ends of the bars for 5 minutes here and there to relieve the stress. I was out in the pissing rain for a couple of hours today and that is the worst I have felt it.

Can anyone recommend anything to help with this? A quick google would suggest bar ends may be the answer but being a complete noob I've no idea how easy these would be to fit or whether they would be compatible with my bike (Carrera Subway 2).

I’d persevere with it as it’s probably just a matter of getting used to it.

Maybe your gripping them to tightly and tensing up , which can sometimes cause pins and needles or numbness

Things that may help are a decent pair of padded  gloves , good quality bar tape or even double bar tape , all of which will help cushion vibration , much the same as your gel pad does in your shorts 

tbh I wouldn’t bother with bar ends 

I’d persevere with it as it’s probably just a matter of getting used to it.
Maybe your gripping them to tightly and tensing up , which can sometimes cause pins and needles or numbness
Things that may help are a decent pair of padded  gloves , good quality bar tape or even double bar tape , all of which will help cushion vibration , much the same as your gel pad does in your shorts 
tbh I wouldn’t bother with bar ends 
Cheers. It's almost like my hands are getting uncomfortable being in the same position most of the time but I think you may be right with the tight grip. As I try to better previous times on my run I find myself leaning further forward and I think thats leading to more pressure on the hands. I'll give the gloves a bash if the soreness continues.

15 minutes ago, Unleash The Nade said:

I see the fat, sad , pathetic ,attention seeking , stalking , Kia driving , racist , homophobe is back in our midst.

I wonder how long it’ll take before he’s banned yet again 

Let it go man, this is bunny boiling levels of obsession.