Official P&b Cycling Thread

Hmm only mentioned because I'd been getting mud up my back particularly in the half dry, half wet weather on some routes where the weather is dry but the road is wet.

Somehow I've gone off them since the P&B community has spoken laugh.gif. Actually more useless weight and parts for me to rage at- no thanks!

You are going to have to tell us what road bike you get. We P&B are a nosey bunch.

Impossible to say depending on route, hills, wind, I guess even a bit of bike and weight of the person! I was told the Etape Caledonia race which is 80miles and a good old climb is around 20mph average to be close to the front.

Around Paisley I average about 12mph in urban areas with stopping and starting at lights etc- but did 15mph to Kilmacolm the other day on cycle track- so probably faster if I wasn't stopping at junctions. If you can regularly get over 15mph over around 20miles you aren't doing too badly for me

I'd say a good time over a long distance for most club cyclists would be 20mph with a few going faster?

Its just an £800 Specialized Allez. Its not one of these carbon effors that costs thousands. I'll leave that sort of stuff if I can prove to myself that I can be decent.

I'm getting on a bit now so that is going to be a limiting factor but I've read that a 25 mile time trial in under an hour is considered a big thing. That sounds very fast to me and no idea if I'm capable. I've only been on a £100 old mountain bike so far so times have been relatively slow. I've been using a heart rate monitor however to guage my effort and have being doing interval sessions on that very cycle track you mention.

I'm going to be doing a lot of cycling over the weekend and it will give me an idea of what standard I'm at just now.

I've only just started cycling and have been using an old £100 mountain bike for the past couple of months. Bought a proper road bike yesterday.

Can one of you cyclists give me an idea of what are considered good times for cycling? I'm particulatrly interested in time trial races.

I'm relatively fit (resting heart rate of around 55) and until injury, I was able to run a 10k in 35 mins and a half marathon in 1 hour 20 mins (and was still improving). My aim is to start racing. My intention isn't to race though until I can finish ahead of most of the field in a good time. I just want an idea of what I need to aim for. :)

I've a similar resting heart rate, and consider myself to be in not bad shape for my age, but this cycling malarky throws up a few challenges beyond simply being relatively fit. My suggestion would be not to get too hung up on average speeds too soon. My average can vary pretty wildly depending on numerous factors. The terrain is the obvious one, but weather conditions, traffic, and how you are feeling on the day all contribute.

Yesterday I hammered it on my way home (probably averaging around 20mph if you take a couple of monster hills out of the equation), whereas, on other days I can't seem to get into a zone. The whole cadence thing is also still a bit of a mystery to me. Should you be turning a huge gear, or spinning a smaller gear, and when should you do which? FFS, they should be running degree courses on this.

I'm aiming to achieve an average of 18 mph over 50 miles covering a variety of terrain over here in West Dunbartonshire/Argyll & Bute area. I won't be getting into racing, but I enjoy the buzz from hitting 40mph from time to time, and the fringe benefits of getting out on the bike are huge.

Oh, and as Flying Scot has asked, what are you riding?

ETA: if you fancy going out for a spin sometime, give me a shout.

Edited by Drooper

Thanks Drooper.

Yeh, running was a lot simpler. You didn't have to worry about so many factors.

I'm using a heart rate monitor so I can guage what I'm doing. I didn't do that when I was running but have decided it would be a good aide to start out cycling rather than looking at times. I wish I'd used one when running as its been a great help so far.

Thanks Drooper.

Yeh, running was a lot simpler. You didn't have to worry about so many factors.

I'm using a heart rate monitor so I can guage what I'm doing. I didn't do that when I was running but have decided it would be a good aide to start out cycling rather than looking at times. I wish I'd used one when running as its been a great help so far.

I bought a cheap HRM but have never used it. Seems a bit of a faff, but I reckon it would probably be a good idea to give it a try since I've got the damn thing.

My bike isn't a flash carbon job either. Not so long ago, the pros were still using alu-framed bikes, so I reckon a decent one will do me. Your Allez sounds like a more than decent first road bike.

I used to run half marathons now and again, but my knees are fucked now, and, at my age, it is time to know my limitations.

If you're into TTing and racing, I reckon you should probably join a club. I've been swithering, but I'm a bit of a lone wolf when it comes to running and cycling, so I'm not 100% convinced that it's for me.

Edited by Drooper

I bought a cheap HRM but have never used it. Seems a bit of a faff, but I reckon it would probably be a good idea to give it a try since I've got the damn thing.

My bike isn't a flash carbon job either. Not so long ago, the pros were still using alu-framed bikes, so I reckon a decent one will do me. Your Allez sounds like a more than decent first road bike.

I used to run half marathons now and again, but my knees are fucked now, and, at my age, it is time to know my limitations.

If you're into TTing and racing, I reckon you should probably join a club. I've been swithering, but I'm a bit of a lone wolf when it comes to running and cycling, so I'm not 100% convinced that it's for me.

I trained with some serious runners once or twice a week during lunchtimes for interval sessions and tempo runs. I did the rest of my training myself.

I can't see cyclists doing interval sesssions in groups, indeed I can't see how it would be possible. I'd rather train on my own as well.

One of the things I liked about running was beating all the club runners and seeing my name up there as one of the highest unattached finishers.

Its just an £800 Specialized Allez. Its not one of these carbon effors that costs thousands. I'll leave that sort of stuff if I can prove to myself that I can be decent.

I'm getting on a bit now so that is going to be a limiting factor but I've read that a 25 mile time trial in under an hour is considered a big thing. That sounds very fast to me and no idea if I'm capable. I've only been on a £100 old mountain bike so far so times have been relatively slow. I've been using a heart rate monitor however to guage my effort and have being doing interval sessions on that very cycle track you mention.

I'm going to be doing a lot of cycling over the weekend and it will give me an idea of what standard I'm at just now.

That bike is more than decent! Very nice bike, I've got a £299 effort, for my first road bike which if you delve back a few pages you'll see, I agree not to start out too fancy.

25miles in a hour is very fast for me. I'd do more like 12-15miles in an hour. laugh.gif The best target I'm told if you are serious is usually the 20mph barrier where possible. I'm nowhere near that yet, but monitoring it my pace is steadily improving around 14-15mph tonight which is consistent with other improvements.

Aim for 20mph where you can but as Drooper says don't get beat up if you can't hit it, so many factors in it. Need to get a P&B cycle run in some time!

............... this cycling malarky throws up a few challenges beyond simply being relatively fit. My suggestion would be not to get too hung up on average speeds too soon. .

Drooper is spot on here.

The worst thing you can do is assume that as you're relatively fit,you'll be able to go fast on a bike.

We've got guys who've come to our club thinking just this,as they've been into running and other keep fit activities,but have ben blowing out their arses after a few miles.Don't put pressure on yourself to go fast and don't get hung up about it.

Its been mentioned already,but terrain is one obvious factor which affects this,as is the weather and it's amazing how even a slight breeze can slow you down quite a bit.

If you're going to take it up more seriously and want to start improving your times and stamina,the one piece of kit I'd say was essential,is a set of SPD pedals if you haven't already got them.

Drooper is spot on here.

The worst thing you can do is assume that as you're relatively fit,you'll be able to go fast on a bike.

We've got guys who've come to our club thinking just this,as they've been into running and other keep fit activities,but have ben blowing out their arses after a few miles.Don't put pressure on yourself to go fast and don't get hung up about it.

Its been mentioned already,but terrain is one obvious factor which affects this,as is the weather and it's amazing how even a slight breeze can slow you down quite a bit.

If you're going to take it up more seriously and want to start improving your times and stamina,the one piece of kit I'd say was essential,is a set of SPD pedals if you haven't already got them.

Aye, I agree with all of this.

There was a bit of a breeze as I cycled to work this morning, and it made it much more difficult to maintain a good pace. You'd hardly know there was any wind looking at the trees and bushes, but you bloody well notice it when out on the bike.

I was reading a letter in Cycling Plus a month or so ago, from a runner who was looking to take up cycling. In response, C+ made the point that it is a very different form of exercise, and make different demands on the system - both musculoskeletal and cardioresperatory.

I think the guy was assuming that, because he is realtively fit and a strong runner, that he would be able to get on a bike and fly. I'm not suggesting that CS has this notion, as he clearly knows more about what is involved, but I do think there is a danger in setting high expectations for yourself too early on.

You're spot on about the clipless pedals too. They make a massive difference once you're confident in using them.

Just a wee reminder if any of you guys are interested in coming to watch it,this event is being held over in Larbert this Sunday

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/50052/Billy-Warnock-Memorial-MSCA-Super-Six-Road-Race

Theres approx 130 cyclists taking part over the two races and as its on a 15 mile loop circuit,plenty of chances to se the guys zooming past.

As far as i know,its one of the biggest events of this type held in Scotland

Cycled to Glasgow this morning (9.3 miles) on the road bike for the first time, leaving the house at 4.30am, almost straight out of bed.

Averaged just over 15mph, without really exerting myself greatly (average heart rate 135) and that includes slowing down / stopping at traffic lights. I don't have clipless pedals yet, I didn't get into an aero position, stayed upright the whole time.

Now, to me, that is very encouraging. In a 25 mile time trial, or any race, I'd expect to be getting my heart rate around 170 or over, Without traffic lights, with a few months training, more aero features, I reckon 25mph must be very reachable.

Re my expectations, I actually AM expecting to be able to do big things on the bike based on my running abilities. I know its different muscles, but that will come quickly with training. Cycling is a lot easier on the body than running and my experience so far, particularly this morning, is very encouraging.

I was immediately finishing in the top half of running fields in 10ks and half marathons, after years of no exercise and smoking, without serious training and without really exerting myself or taking it seriously. Within a few months of training seriously, I was running 10ks in under 40 mins and beginning races up at the front of the field. I don't intend to enter cycling races unless I can do the same.

The reasons why my expectations are likely not to happen however include my knee, which is in a bad way and that I can't commit to the same level of training for cycling that I put in for running. I just don't know if I can be serious about cycling like I was for running. I might just use this as a way of keeping fit.

When I trained seriously as a runner - I trained seriously. Interval sessions were key and I ate properly and kept my weight down. I've already started interval sessions on the bike.

Very early days but we'll see......

Edited by Captain_Sensible

The Bellahouston 10k attracts a poor quality field because it runs in opposition to the Vale of Leven 10k which is part of the Polaroid Series of 10ks and attracts a good field.

I ran Bellahouston in 37.30 in 2008 and finished about 15th. I ran the Paisley 10k a couple of months later in 35.15 and only finished 16th. (Shows the measure of my improvement in even that short period of time) I had to give up running shortly after due to a bad knee injury which has since required 2 ops.

I only took up running in my mid 30s after years to smoking and doing no exercise and only trained seriously for a year and a half after I realised I was quite good at it.

I trained with guys who were my equal and one or two faster than me. One of the guys I trained with had a 10k PB of just over 32 mins.

I'm figuring that if I was good at running then I'm bound to be good at cycling as the main limiting factor is the cardio system. My cardio system is obviously quite good.

I have done some cycling on indoor bikes over the past 3 years to keep my fitness levels up relatively speaking but am now ready to try cycling seriously. My knee is far from normal but it seems fine when cycling so am going to go for it.

Even having said that, your time for a 10k is exceptionally fast. Im impressed. I trained for 6 months and only manged 58 minutes! It was my first attempt though. Running has since become boring for me.

Cycling wise - I stay away from road bikes and prefer to go out on my mountain bike. Love the peace and tranquility. Its also fun so doesnt feel like Im 'exercising' as such. :)

Edited by MattBairn

Even having said that, your time for a 10k is exceptionally fast. Im impressed. I trained for 6 months and only manged 58 minutes! It was my first attempt though. Running has since become boring for me.

I ran my first 10k in 46 mins within 6 months of starting running and it felt really easy. I didn't take it seriously though for another couple of years. I ran the Glasgow Half Marathon in Sept 2006 in 1.45 on the back of a couple of months of training, getting up to a max distance of 9 miles (and spending 2 weeks on holiday in Spain doing no training in the fortnight before). Again, it was easy and I was overtaking loads of people in the Glasgow green in the last mile when I realised it was so easy.

At that point I decided to enter the Edinburgh Marathon and train seriously. I ran it in 3.17 in May 2007 (ie I ran 2 half marathons back to back quicker than I ran the Glasgow half a few months before. My times began to tumble from that point, doing Bellahouston in under 40 mins that summer, EK Half Marathon in 1.29, Paisley 10k in 38 mins and Glasgow Half that year in 1.27.

I entered the Edinburgh Marathonm again in 2008 but it was a disaster for various reasons. My target had been 3.00 but I onlyfinished in 3.13, losing 10 mins in the final 2 miles as I had to walk a bit of the 25th mile. Without going into detail, I knew I was well capable of under 3 hrs and decided to aim for 2.45 which would get me into the Championship for the London Marathon (and get to use elite facilities and stuff). By the end of that summer my 10k time was down to 35.15 and had ran the Glasgow half in 1.22. A month later I injured my knee and mt training came to an end. I tried a few comebacks until my last run in Jan 2009 from which point I haven't ran a single step and have ended up having 2 knee ops, neither of which really worked. I'm no doubt looking at a knee replacement sometime in the future.

To much too soon and overtraining..........

Captain Sensible, seems like you are taking this seriously and good on you, not much to add to what everyone else has said but can't emphasise enough how much the SPD pedals will help. Once you are clipped in you will soon become used to not just pedalling but it also allows you to pull up on the pedal as it comes round and will give you greater power.

One thing about a high average speed - it is actually quite difficult to maintain a decent speed unless your bike is geared to do so. I have a Specialized Allez Elite which is built for a little bit more speed than yours and I find it difficult to get much resistance on the pedals when you are up about that speed and therefore your legs go round quicker whereas if I had a stronger top gear I feel I could push harder and go faster.

Only way for me to do this is to increase the size of the front cog which I might do soon.

A few of us seem to be doing the Pedal for Scotland, it would be good to meet up if possible!!

Edit to correct all the spelling mistakes :lol:

Edited by monkeyblair

Captain Sensible, seems like you are taking this seriously and good on you, not much to add to what everyone else has said but can't emphasise enough how much the SPD pedals will help. Once you are clipped in you will soon become used to not just pedalling but it also allows you to pull up on the pedal as it comes round and will give you greater power.

One thing about a high average speed - it is actually quite difficult to maintain a decent speed unless your bike is geared to do so. I have a Specialized Allez Elite which is built for a little bit more speed than yours and I find it difficult to get much resistance on the pedals when you are up about that speed and therefore your legs go round quicker whereas if I had a stronger top gear I feel I could push harder and go faster.

Only way for me to do this is to increase the size of the front cog which I might do soon.

A few of us seem to be doing the Pedal for Scotland, it would be good to meet up if possible!!

Still havent registered for PFS,as chance I might be away.

How did you get through/bike back last year?

I contacted them last year and tbh,getting through isn't a problem,as just use the train,but they advised you not do do this when going home as in previous yers there were too many riders trying to do this and trains didnt have enough room.

The thought of cyclng back to Larbert after doing 100 miles,doesnt really appeal to me,especially if its a shitty day and the vans which they use to help transport bikes ,only go straight back to Glasgow with no drop off points in between

I'm having the same problem with transport for PFS, Myself and 2 possibly 3 others are doing the 51mile, were just new so starting with the easy(errr :whistle ) route.

My mum told me the other night that my uncle was one of the founder members of Falkirk BC. Cyclings in the blood, shame it took me till I was 23 to be told this haha

Still havent registered for PFS,as chance I might be away.

How did you get through/bike back last year?

I contacted them last year and tbh,getting through isn't a problem,as just use the train,but they advised you not do do this when going home as in previous yers there were too many riders trying to do this and trains didnt have enough room.

The thought of cyclng back to Larbert after doing 100 miles,doesnt really appeal to me,especially if its a shitty day and the vans which they use to help transport bikes ,only go straight back to Glasgow with no drop off points in between

I'm wondering about transport as well.

I keep meaning to phone ScotRail about booking a bike space, but even if I manage it I doubt it'll make much difference if they're swamped with people looking to carry bikes.

I think I've discovered already that my bike isn't geared for high speed........ :(

I have a feeling I might be better doing the intervals on my mountain bike or find a big hill.

I'm wondering about transport as well.

I keep meaning to phone ScotRail about booking a bike space, but even if I manage it I doubt it'll make much difference if they're swamped with people looking to carry bikes.

I can't seem to reply to this for some reason- try for the third time!

In my experience ticket collectors aren't too bothered by bikes as long as the trains are not packed or they are blocking the aisles. I've been on an old train without a bike bit recently and despite 3 bikes there the ticket collector was fine with it.

Another option is to put the bike in your car, drive to Edinburgh leave your car there near the finish and take the transport in the morning to Glasgow I suppose.

I'm getting a lift back from my folks who I asked to come for me ha!

Another option is to put the bike in your car, drive to Edinburgh leave your car there near the finish and take the transport in the morning to Glasgow I suppose.

The slight flaw in that plan is that I don't drive ;) And the person I'm doing it with's car is too small to take a bike, so it would mean needing to get a bike rack.

We'll think of something. Perhaps a trip to the station on Monday will be in order.