Official P&b Cycling Thread

Just got clipless pedals at the weekend and after falling over in my garden trying to clip in and out I managed to cycle to work and back without falling off, I'm gearing up for this 50mile pedal for scotland with my pal, I reckon I could do the 100 miles but I want to enjoy it not kill myself, got to work in 35 minutes not bad for 11 1/2 miles. I was hooked on Le Tour these guys are proper athletes. Any one know any decent routes in the Falkirk area some of the roads are terrible here?

Just gone mad and got myself an HTC Highroad Jersey, Gloves and Socks so if you see me out say hello haha. I'm on a Giant Defy 2. White/Black/Yellow.

Not bad- understatement for me! That isn't far off 20mph which is an excellent average speed a lot will like to achieve. I barely average 12 or 13 miles an hour (20kph!) at best less on urban roads through towns.

Edited by flyingscot

Right,much as I didn't expect it to,this road cycling bug has really bitten and I'm already looking to possibly upgrade my bike.

I didn't want to splash out silly amounts of money until I was sure I was going to like it,but now that I'm really getting into it,this is the only reason for change.

I have a Specialized Sectuer which I only bought in May this year.

Being only 3 months old,It's obviously still under warranty (GW Smiths in Falkirk) and in mint condition.

It cost me £460 (receipts available) and if I sold,I would be looking for £360,with no room for negotiation!

However,I'm still not 100% if I'll go ahead at present as still need to do the really difficult bit and persuade the wife I need to upgrade(bike not her!!)

I just wanted to try and find out that if I chose to sell in the next few weeks,if anyone out there would be interested.

I like in Larbert area,so you would need to come and pick the bike up.

Please PM me if you have any interest,no time asters please,or wind-ups from Monkeyblair!!

Edit To Add: Sorry,should have said its a 56cm frame ( i think!!) but I'll check and confirm.

The same as this

Specialized-Secteur-Comp-Compact-2011.jpg

Edited by Unleash The Nade

I've got the same problem i upgraded from a MTB to a Hybrid just last month now i'm chomping at the bit to upgrade to a road bike but with mr Mrs due to give birth there is no chance of me twisting her arm to upgrade bikes just now :( oh well maybe by the start of next year

flyingscot i was looking at the pedal for scotland ride i might be intrested in doing the 50 miles also should be a breeze after this 100 mile stint in a couple of weeks which i am now worrying about the distance haha

Right,much as I didn't expect it to,this road cycling bug has really bitten and I'm already looking to possibly upgrade my bike.

I didn't want to splash out silly amounts of money until I was sure I was going to like it,but now that I'm really getting into it,this is the only reason for change.

Being only 3 months old,It's obviously still under warranty (GW Smiths in Falkirk) and in mint condition.

It cost me £460 (receipts available) and if I sold,I would be looking for £360,with no room for negotiation!

However,I'm still not 100% if I'll go ahead at present as still need to do the really difficult bit and persuade the wife I need to upgrade(bike not her!!)

I just wanted to try and find out that if I chose to sell in the next few weeks,if anyone out there would be interested.

Please PM me if you have any interest,no time asters please,or wind-ups from Monkeyblair!!

Edit To Add: Sorry,should have said its a 56cm frame ( i think!!) but I'll check and confirm.

The same as this

You should give it to me as a gift in recognition of the fact that I was instrumental in urging you to buy a road bike :P

There is a real dilemma attached to buying a new type of bike (as opposed to upgrading the same type - ie: MTB to MTB, road to road etc.).

Do you buy something at the lower end in case you don't really get into it, but find that you are hooked and wish you went for something better (as has been the case with UtN). Or do you buy a more expensive bike and run the risk of either leaving it to go to seed in the shed, or having to punt it within months (and take the financial hit) because you realise you don't fancy this new style of riding? Either way, you're also likely to incur the wrath of s/he who must be obeyed.

I was fortunate in that I had an extended loan of a road bike so was able to assess whether I was into this form of riding. I then opted for a mid-range bike - that is, more expensive than I would have taken a chance on had I not been sure that I was going to enjoy road cycling, but not so costly that it would be way in excess of my requirements.

All I can advise is that those who are considering trying out a different type of riding try to borrow a bike from a mate or family member for a couple of months before deciding what to do. It might even be worth considering renting a bike if there are any schemes available.

There is a real dilemma attached to buying a new type of bike (as opposed to upgrading the same type - ie: MTB to MTB, road to road etc.).

Do you buy something at the lower end in case you don't really get into it, but find that you are hooked and wish you went for something better (as has been the case with UtN). Or do you buy a more expensive bike and run the risk of either leaving it to go to seed in the shed, or having to punt it within months (and take the financial hit) because you realise you don't fancy this new style of riding? Either way, you're also likely to incur the wrath of s/he who must be obeyed.

I was fortunate in that I had an extended loan of a road bike so was able to assess whether I was into this form of riding. I then opted for a mid-range bike - that is, more expensive than I would have taken a chance on had I not been sure that I was going to enjoy road cycling, but not so costly that it would be way in excess of my requirements.

All I can advise is that those who are considering trying out a different type of riding try to borrow a bike from a mate or family member for a couple of months before deciding what to do. It might even be worth considering renting a bike if there are any schemes available.

I agree with you. I will no doubt get a loan before i buy but i am getting right into this cycling now and i do need to go for a road bike as it'll be better on roads and cycle track im not at all disappointed with my hybrid i'll keep this one for sure and use it on the wet days etc but i do feel the need for speed. And we do the ride to work scheme in my work which helps you aim for mid to top range bike as you make a saving and dont take the hit all in one. So basically i need to wait until next year beforing making any changes or am i just tight :)

Drooper have you looked at the pedal for scotland run yet

Edit to add anyone else use endomondo app

Edited by paisleysaints

The same as this

UTN I know you are just at the considering stage but ask yourself this....

What is it exactly that you are considering upgrading for? Will a newer better bike achieve what you are looking for or is it a fitness / age issue which is holding you back.?

I am not being smart - I had the same conversation with my boss before buying my bike, and there is only so much performance that can be improved upon by spending money.

Has anyone on here gone from a mtb to a road/hybrid bike and find it hard to get back on the mtb?

I got a Specialized Sirrus beginning of June and have been use it to ride back from work every couple of days. It's not a full on road bike as it's flat bars instead of drops and the tyres are 700x28 rather than 700x23.

I'm really enjoying it but last week i got a puncture on the way to the station. I was clipped into the pedals as i pulled over to check it out and completely forgot to unclip so had the really embarrassing slow fall to the side.

The next ride i had after changing the tyre, the bike felt a bit unstable. I put it down to the tyres being inflated to 115psi but then the frame felt like it was starting to flex. I know i'm a big bloke but didn't think i would ruin a frame after less than 2 months.

It turns out the rear wheel was no longer running true. Half the spokes were worryingly loose and it was jamming against the brake blocks. It's going back to the shop next week for it's free six week service and they'll sort the wheel then.

Anyway i dug out my trusty mtb for the ride from work but it felt so weird that i couldn't get comfortable to get any great distance. It also felt ridiculously heavy and unwieldy when it had never felt like that before. I didn't even like looking at the front wheel rolling along as i'd been so used to seeing a 28mm tyre that seeing the 1.75 inch (semi slick off road one) felt like i was riding a tractor.

Anyone else suffered from this? It's bummed me out as i've never not liked my trusty old steed before. Even after riding different and more expensive mtb's, i've always liked going back to mine.

Has anyone on here gone from a mtb to a road/hybrid bike and find it hard to get back on the mtb?

I got a Specialized Sirrus beginning of June and have been use it to ride back from work every couple of days. It's not a full on road bike as it's flat bars instead of drops and the tyres are 700x28 rather than 700x23.

I'm really enjoying it but last week i got a puncture on the way to the station. I was clipped into the pedals as i pulled over to check it out and completely forgot to unclip so had the really embarrassing slow fall to the side.

The next ride i had after changing the tyre, the bike felt a bit unstable. I put it down to the tyres being inflated to 115psi but then the frame felt like it was starting to flex. I know i'm a big bloke but didn't think i would ruin a frame after less than 2 months.

It turns out the rear wheel was no longer running true. Half the spokes were worryingly loose and it was jamming against the brake blocks. It's going back to the shop next week for it's free six week service and they'll sort the wheel then.

Anyway i dug out my trusty mtb for the ride from work but it felt so weird that i couldn't get comfortable to get any great distance. It also felt ridiculously heavy and unwieldy when it had never felt like that before. I didn't even like looking at the front wheel rolling along as i'd been so used to seeing a 28mm tyre that seeing the 1.75 inch (semi slick off road one) felt like i was riding a tractor.

Anyone else suffered from this? It's bummed me out as i've never not liked my trusty old steed before. Even after riding different and more expensive mtb's, i've always liked going back to mine.

Aye, that resonates with me.

I took the MTB out for a leisurely trundle with a mate who isn't a regular cyclists and isn't confident on the roads. It felt like hard work, and, to be honest, I was pining after my road bike within minutes. I'm now struggling to imagine using the MTB again - even for my commute during the winter. I won't be making any rash decisions, but I'm considering trading the bike in for a winter road hacker (with mudguards etc.). Hmm...not sure if I can part with my old Gary Fisher as it's been a great servant to me, but there's no point in it lying in the shed unused. Tough one.

UTN I know you are just at the considering stage but ask yourself this....

What is it exactly that you are considering upgrading for? Will a newer better bike achieve what you are looking for or is it a fitness / age issue which is holding you back.?

I am not being smart - I had the same conversation with my boss before buying my bike, and there is only so much performance that can be improved upon by spending money.

You hit the nail on the head MB,as it's probably both these issues which are holding me back :lol:

To be honest,I've really gotten into this whole road bike thing and decided that if I did,I would upgrade,but tbh,never expected it all to happen this quickly.

I'm not necessarily looking to get more speed,but have made the decission that the next bike I buy,will be it and last me for the rest of my serious(ish),cycling life.

Unfortunately theres bugger all I can do about the age thing,but my fitness has really improved in the 3 months I've taken it up (also shedding over a stone)and will hopefully get better.

If I could afford it,I would have kept a hold of the Secteur as well for a winter road bike,but unfortunately I can't.

I'm joining Drooper in the Cubist movement!!

Edited by Unleash The Nade

I've got the same problem i upgraded from a MTB to a Hybrid just last month now i'm chomping at the bit to upgrade to a road bike but with mr Mrs due to give birth there is no chance of me twisting her arm to upgrade bikes just now :( oh well maybe by the start of next year

flyingscot i was looking at the pedal for scotland ride i might be intrested in doing the 50 miles also should be a breeze after this 100 mile stint in a couple of weeks which i am now worrying about the distance haha

Aye well there is a 100mile version of that too wink.gif

Nah doing the 50 mile version but haven't applied yet- will do so this weekend if I get round to it.

Not bad- understatement for me! That isn't far off 20mph which is an excellent average speed a lot will like to achieve. I barely average 12 or 13 miles an hour (20kph!) at best less on urban roads through towns.

I must add that I take about 45 to get home, its slightly more of an incline and after a 12 hour shift my wee legs are buggered. I just got a cateye wireless computer thingy on my bike and i'm averaging about 16miles per hour. for the journey from work and back. And I think its more like 11miles to get to work. so not as fast as I made out.

I'm deffo doing the 50 mile pedal for scotland but will be going for a wee jaunt rather than a quick time