Official P&b Cycling Thread

Meant to ask, did you stick with the triple?

Yes.

Had so many different opinions from people I spoke to and on various websites, I never really came across a strong argument for or against one to really convince me.

Although I dont think I'll use the small cog much,good to have just in case eh!.

The one thing I have noticed thogh,is that I seem to be able to get more out of it at the higher end,which is great.

Was at the club last night and many of the guys couldn't believe how light it was (comparable with some of their carbon frames) and the spec v £

Well chuffed :D

Edited by Unleash The Nade

Yes.

Had so many different opinions from people I spoke to and on various websites, I never really came across a strong argument for or against one to really convince me.

Although I dont think I'll use the small cog much,good to have just in case eh!.

The one thing I have noticed thogh,is that I seem to be able to get more out of it at the higher end,which is great.

Was at the club last night and many of the guys couldn't believe how light it was (comparable with some of their carbon frames) and the spec v £

I like having the wider range of gearing, and have found that I can pedal more efficiently if utilising all those available depending on the conditions and gradient.

This afternoon, on my variation commute, I had to tackle two pretty serious climbs. For the first, I stayed in the middle ring, and did likewise for 3/4 of the second climb, but being able to spin a wee bit when my reserves were low let me maintain a decent pace with a higher cadence. I know it's a matter of preference, and serious road racers will always make do with a compact or standard double chainset, but i can't see the harm in having a wee bit more available for when the going gets tough. On a 17% climb a couple of weeks ago, my wee ring (ooh err missus!) enabled me to avoid the walk of shame. I can't see the downside (no pun intended).

Hill into Cowie is a bugger,

First time I hit that hill I thought my lungs were going to come out my ears biggrin.gif

I know parts of that route from doing cycle route 76 and commuting into the Falkirk Stadium - it's a good run.

Did my Stirling - Kippen etc run again tonight and improved slightly to an avg of 16.6mph over the 20-odd miles. Thinking of taking the bike in to Rock & Road in Bridge of Allan to make sure it's set up right for my lanky frame and pot belly. I think seat height is ok but I'm getting some lower back pain. Might be nothing but worth getting it checked out on the jig they have there.

Best ever performance at Bike Club tonight managing 22 miles in just under 68 minutes,which is a 19.5 mph average.

New bike certainly makes a difference

Monkeyblair,yur tea's oot ! :lol:

19.5mph is a serious average, although your claims on the hill into Cowie being a bugger is a bit far fetched!! I did a route recently which was only 13 miles but some serious serious climbing involved.....

Meant to ask, did you stick with the triple?

Yes.

My bike only has the double at the front and I am still in half a mind as to which is better. The vast majority of the time I am on the large cog at the front which is good but had to drop to the small one on the hills the other night. The thing I am finding is that in top gear I am struggling to pedal at more than 25 / 26 mph along the flat, I feel I need a stronger gear as I could push my legs harder when cruising.

Answer is to buy a larger cog but will wait and see how it goes.

First time I hit that hill I thought my lungs were going to come out my ears biggrin.gif

...... your claims on the hill into Cowie being a bugger is a bit far fetched!!

My bike only has the double at the front and I am still in half a mind as to which is better. The vast majority of the time I am on the large cog at the front which is good but had to drop to the small one on the hills the other night. The thing I am finding is that in top gear I am struggling to pedal at more than 25 / 26 mph along the flat, I feel I need a stronger gear as I could push my legs harder when cruising.

Answer is to buy a larger cog but will wait and see how it goes.

I really dont seem to mind long climbs tbh,but the hill at Cowie,although short,is just a short sharp one after a couple of miles on the flat and just catches you on the back foot a bit,(as backed up by NewBornBairn),especially if you haven't selected the right gear.

With regards to front cog,I really think it's all down to personal preference and if truth be told,not really a huge difference on one over the other.

Like I said previously,I'm finding a definite difference on the flat and dont know if its because my new bike has a large cog,or I'm getting fitter,but more than likely the former!

Edited by Unleash The Nade

With regards to front cog,I really think it's all down to personal preference and if truth be told,not really a huge difference on one over the other.

Like I said previously,I'm finding a definite difference on the flat and dont know if its because my new bike has a large cog,or I'm getting fitter,but more than likely the former!

I think the same, triple or double matters little but like other things in the cycling world to some people they are prone to snobbery about specs or getting into nonsense arguments about different tyres, different cassettes etc.

Note to self- need to get mudguards fitted to road bike before it hoses down at Pedal for Scotland!

I think the same, triple or double matters little but like other things in the cycling world to some people they are prone to snobbery about specs or getting into nonsense arguments about different tyres, different cassettes etc.

Note to self- need to get mudguards fitted to road bike before it hoses down at Pedal for Scotland!

Don't, if it is raining then you will get wet anyway, mudguards or not.

That way you also don't look like a fanny.

Edited by monkeyblair

The Cube UTN is sporting is an awsome piece of gear. First night at a cycle club on tuesday and I must say it was awsome! bought a tight jersey with the goal of it fitting me rather than it being painted on. will be back on saturday and will try and keep up with the faster group this time.

I'm ashamed to say I got up to cycle to work this morning and it looked like the heavens were about to open so I had an extra 20mins in bed now I'm not angry with myself i'm just disapointed :( today hasn't been that bad.

The Cube UTN is sporting is an awsome piece of gear. First night at a cycle club on tuesday and I must say it was awsome! bought a tight jersey with the goal of it fitting me rather than it being painted on. will be back on saturday and will try and keep up with the faster group this time.

I'm ashamed to say I got up to cycle to work this morning and it looked like the heavens were about to open so I had an extra 20mins in bed now I'm not angry with myself i'm just disapointed :( today hasn't been that bad.

I'll give you that tenner on Saturday John ;)

BTW,no groups on Saturday ,as it's more of a group "social" cycle,where everone sticks together

Hopefuly it'll be nice and dry

Got to agree with MB,much better wearing one of these

WPC100.JPG

haha that mean's i'll be in the front pack :lol: i'm hoping for good weather too, where do you tend to go on saturdays.

Quite often over the new bridge into Fife but depends really on numbers and wind direction,as we try to go against on the way out .

Usually do a minimum of 25 miles and no more than 40

I've only just started cycling and have been using an old £100 mountain bike for the past couple of months. Bought a proper road bike yesterday.

Can one of you cyclists give me an idea of what are considered good times for cycling? I'm particulatrly interested in time trial races.

I'm relatively fit (resting heart rate of around 55) and until injury, I was able to run a 10k in 35 mins and a half marathon in 1 hour 20 mins (and was still improving). My aim is to start racing. My intention isn't to race though until I can finish ahead of most of the field in a good time. I just want an idea of what I need to aim for. :)

I was able to run a 10k in 35 mins

Thats ridiculously fast! :o

The winner of the Bellahouston 10k last year managed it in 31 minutes and only 7 people managed it in under 35 minutes!

Edited by MattBairn

I've got mudguards... :unsure:

Hmm only mentioned because I'd been getting mud up my back particularly in the half dry, half wet weather on some routes where the weather is dry but the road is wet.

Somehow I've gone off them since the P&B community has spoken laugh.gif. Actually more useless weight and parts for me to rage at- no thanks!

I've only just started cycling and have been using an old £100 mountain bike for the past couple of months. Bought a proper road bike yesterday.

Can one of you cyclists give me an idea of what are considered good times for cycling? I'm particulatrly interested in time trial races.

I'm relatively fit (resting heart rate of around 55) and until injury, I was able to run a 10k in 35 mins and a half marathon in 1 hour 20 mins (and was still improving). My aim is to start racing. My intention isn't to race though until I can finish ahead of most of the field in a good time. I just want an idea of what I need to aim for. :)

You are going to have to tell us what road bike you get. We P&B are a nosey bunch.

Impossible to say depending on route, hills, wind, I guess even a bit of bike and weight of the person! I was told the Etape Caledonia race which is 80miles and a good old climb is around 20mph average to be close to the front.

Around Paisley I average about 12mph in urban areas with stopping and starting at lights etc- but did 15mph to Kilmacolm the other day on cycle track- so probably faster if I wasn't stopping at junctions. If you can regularly get over 15mph over around 20miles you aren't doing too badly for me

I'd say a good time over a long distance for most club cyclists would be 20mph with a few going faster?

Thats ridiculously fast! :o

The winner of the Bellahouston 10k last year managed it in 31 minutes and only 7 people managed it in under 35 minutes!

The Bellahouston 10k attracts a poor quality field because it runs in opposition to the Vale of Leven 10k which is part of the Polaroid Series of 10ks and attracts a good field.

I ran Bellahouston in 37.30 in 2008 and finished about 15th. I ran the Paisley 10k a couple of months later in 35.15 and only finished 16th. (Shows the measure of my improvement in even that short period of time) I had to give up running shortly after due to a bad knee injury which has since required 2 ops.

I only took up running in my mid 30s after years to smoking and doing no exercise and only trained seriously for a year and a half after I realised I was quite good at it.

I trained with guys who were my equal and one or two faster than me. One of the guys I trained with had a 10k PB of just over 32 mins.

I'm figuring that if I was good at running then I'm bound to be good at cycling as the main limiting factor is the cardio system. My cardio system is obviously quite good.

I have done some cycling on indoor bikes over the past 3 years to keep my fitness levels up relatively speaking but am now ready to try cycling seriously. My knee is far from normal but it seems fine when cycling so am going to go for it.

Edited by Captain_Sensible