Golfers Thread

Gaz

Anyone been using the Callaway Chrome Soft ball. 

Getting a big write up but yet to meet anyone using it.

I use them,excellent distance off the tee and plenty off feel around the green.Better and cheaper than pro vs

I use them,excellent distance off the tee and plenty off feel around the green.Better and cheaper than pro vs

Yep, I've just swapped over to these this season as well.

At about £20 a tray they are outstanding value, a really good ball.

Right- what's the key to driver distance? Is it hitting the gym? Need to get my swing speed up.

It's mostly technique.

Going by the strength logic, Rory McIlroy should not be anywhere near the top drivers in the world, yet he is.

If you try and 'hit' the ball, the force of your swing will disrupt the clean contact and will likely impose a hook or a slice, hence why a calm consistent swing is always best.

Playing today in what feels like the first time in forever. Crieff hydro in the morning followed by the ferntower at Crieff golf club in the afternoon. Looking forward to it.

103 then 102, not bad considering how long since I last played. Must have hit about 80% of fairways from the tee, which was incredible. Putting was poor though.

I feel like I'm losing a lot of shots as I'm not able to hit the ball very far. A well hit driver is short of 200 yards which is quite frustrating. I don't feel I hit it much further now than I did 10 years ago when I was 14.

103 then 102, not bad considering how long since I last played. Must have hit about 80% of fairways from the tee, which was incredible. Putting was poor though.

I feel like I'm losing a lot of shots as I'm not able to hit the ball very far. A well hit driver is short of 200 yards which is quite frustrating. I don't feel I hit it much further now than I did 10 years ago when I was 14.

Distance is unlikely to be your problem.

Count the number of shots from Tee to say within 10 meters of the green.

Count the number of shots from 10 meters of green to the hole.

Bet you find yourself practicing chipping and putting after you do the count.

This is sound advice.

DHD if you are hitting 80% of fairways but not breaking 100 then distance off the tee almost certainly isn`t the main problem.

Yep, I've just swapped over to these this season as well.

At about £20 a tray they are outstanding value, a really good ball.

Used Callaway Chrome Soft ball today. Well impressed.

1st medal and shot 81 net 73 to be in buffer zone (predicted CSS 72). Also had a 2 so will get a bit of cash for that.

Decent start

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

This is sound advice.

DHD if you are hitting 80% of fairways but not breaking 100 then distance off the tee almost certainly isn`t the main problem.

Yes, my putting and chipping definitely need a lot of work, but it's still mighty frustrating consistently hitting the ball 40-50 yards less than the boys I play with.

On the subject of balls, does using the same ball really have that much of an effect? I generally just grab the first one out of the bag and play it.

First round of the year yesterday. Think it was my first full round in about six months. Shot a 93, which as my handicap is still 22 I'm pretty happy with. Two pars but one annoying 7. Three-putted a few times as well, just could not judge the greens.

[quote name="die hard doonhamer" post="10287612"

On the subject of balls, does using the same ball really have that much of an effect? I generally just grab the first one out of the bag and play it.

I use the same ball(s) every round as I know exactly what I get from them.

The run a good amount of my drive and I can judge how they will react on my approach shots and on/around the green.

Saying that I have heard a lot of talk on here about Callaway CS, so I'm away to Wellsgreen to big up 12 before my round at 1300.

Yes, my putting and chipping definitely need a lot of work, but it's still mighty frustrating consistently hitting the ball 40-50 yards less than the boys I play with.

If you take two different balls and drop them from the same height then you will almost always find that they bounce differently. If you then translate that to a putt then hitting both balls with the same stroke would see then go different distances. It's a big help to your consistency with chipping and putting if you can find a ball you like and can use all the time.

Anyone wearing a spikeless golf shoe and would reccommend one?

Also best (cheapest) websites for golf clothing etc?

Clubs all washed and ready for18holes tomorrow

I have a pair of Nike spikeless ones, but have never used them here. Used them on firm ground in Spain and they were great.

Anyone wearing a spikeless golf shoe and would reccommend one?

Also best (cheapest) websites for golf clothing etc?

Clubs all washed and ready for18holes tomorrow

Gripmore are good and Ecco shoes get a great right up.

County golf generally great for cheap, branded clothes- also be sure to hit up TK Maxx for some bargains.