Golfers Thread

Gaz

It should have been The Open this weekend, the BBC are showing some of the Chronicles of a Champion golfer series, every one of them is a great watch. Even Faldo.

They have condensed 3 episodes into 1, today was Woods, Watson and Nicklaus, think tomorrow is McIlroy, Clarke and Faldo.

Not good to see the continuing struggles of Matteo Mannassero. 4 time winner on the European Tour at the age of 20, including an impressive PGA Championship win at Wentworth, but has now tumbled to 1670th in the world rankings at age 27.

This week's Euram Open has a field more like a challenge tour event, but he still found himself a few shots outside the cut line. Yesterday's round sums up his struggles, 3 under thru 15 holes, but then drops 5 shots over the final 3 holes.

13 holes tonight as my struggles with back spasms have continued recently but pleased to report 13 holes, absolutely pain free. Hopefully the kettlebell training I've been doing is paying off.

Last few times I've tried to get back out, I've either had to bin it early or I've struggled to make 9 holes, feeling very stiff and hitting it all over the place. Absolutely buzzing that it's felt better tonight and was hitting the ball lovely. Putting was absolutely shite but can put up with that for a little bit as I get back in.

Don't know if anyone caught this from Bryson earlier. Fucking madness. I know it was windy today and there was a lot of big drives on this hole but 423?! I assumed it'd hit the cart path or something! Imagine being Dustin Johnson and hitting a 384 yard drive on this hole and being second longest 🤣

Edited by Mr Hahn

13 holes tonight as my struggles with back spasms have continued recently but pleased to report 13 holes, absolutely pain free. Hopefully the kettlebell training I've been doing is paying off.

Last few times I've tried to get back out, I've either had to bin it early or I've struggled to make 9 holes, feeling very stiff and hitting it all over the place. Absolutely buzzing that it's felt better tonight and was hitting the ball lovely. Putting was absolutely shite but can put up with that for a little bit as I get back in.

Don't know if anyone caught this from Bryson earlier. Fucking madness. I know it was windy today and there was a lot of big drives on this hole but 423?! I assumed it'd hit the cart path or something! Imagine being Dustin Johnson and hitting a 384 yard drive on this hole and being second longest 🤣

63 yards of bounce and rollout, but equipment is the problem...They’ve dried the course out to the max to make it hard and fast, which I think is a challenge to the players - they were call saying how hard it was - but the rock hard fairways contributed to 15% of the total distance of that drive.

Can’t have it both ways complaining about distance while assisting it with course setup. Edited to add I actually agree with it, it’s a great test for them, especially with the wind. Field was a combined 250-over yesterday, which is virtually unheard of on the PGA tour. Course setup > tech rollbacks please.

Hopefully your back sorts itself out. I’ve had similar issues in the past and it’s awful, lying in the middle of the fairway while it spasms being the highlight. Feel that pain big time!

16 hours ago, quickoverayard said:

Well.... played the Glen in North Berwick this evening. Wind was horrific and I managed to go round the front 9 in a 58. Gave up on the 13th and walked in!!! Not a course for beginners in challenging conditions. Beautiful course tho

I've played there a couple of times.  It is a lovely course.  Some very challenging holes, mind you.

On 02/07/2020 at 23:08, Honest_Man#1 said:

I’ve just booked in for 2 hours worth of lessons with Colin Brooks at Braids. He gets a good reputation in the golfing community.

Finally got round to sorting lessons. Having a bash at the swing analysis session with a chap called Paul Mckechnie. I'm sure after an hour I'll be smashing it like Bryson...

7 hours ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

63 yards of bounce and rollout, but equipment is the problem...They’ve dried the course out to the max to make it hard and fast, which I think is a challenge to the players - they were call saying how hard it was - but the rock hard fairways contributed to 15% of the total distance of that drive.

Can’t have it both ways complaining about distance while assisting it with course setup. Edited to add I actually agree with it, it’s a great test for them, especially with the wind. Field was a combined 250-over yesterday, which is virtually unheard of on the PGA tour. Course setup > tech rollbacks please.

Hopefully your back sorts itself out. I’ve had similar issues in the past and it’s awful, lying in the middle of the fairway while it spasms being the highlight. Feel that pain big time!

Indeed, I like the faster fairways, means they need to think more about where their tee shot is actually going to finish once it lands. The carry distance is the main issue for me. Most PGA courses play quite soft so they can pretty much just bomb it knowing fairly precisely how far they can carry it and not getting a whole lot of roll. The equipment, as you say, is clearly the problem. Fair enough that Bryson drive had a lot of roll but it's still 360 carry? That's obscene.

Appreciate it, seems to be getting a bit better now so fingers crossed it stays that way. That sounds brutal, my similar moment came when cleaning my clubs of all things. Leaned over my bag to take a club out, next thing I was on all fours over the basin I was using the clean the clubs, unable to get up for about 5 minutes.

5 hours ago, quickoverayard said:

Going for a fitting today at 3 to replace my broken shaft, how much roughly is this going to cost don’t want anything fancy as I’m new to golf!

I snapped a driver shaft in my youth, practice swinging too close to a ball cleaner like a moron. It wasn't very expensive to replace but it was a bit different back then. Most clubs came with one standard shaft while clubs now usually come with 3 or 4 stock shaft options from dedicated shaft brands. 

It'll depend on the shaft if you know what kind it was? If it's a stock shaft, I doubt it'll be too bad. If it's an aftermarket shaft, they can get quite expensive. 

I snapped a driver shaft in my youth, practice swinging too close to a ball cleaner like a moron. It wasn't very expensive to replace but it was a bit different back then. Most clubs came with one standard shaft while clubs now usually come with 3 or 4 stock shaft options from dedicated shaft brands. 

It'll depend on the shaft if you know what kind it was? If it's a stock shaft, I doubt it'll be too bad. If it's an aftermarket shaft, they can get quite expensive. 

Hooked up to the trackman for my fitting today. Club speed was 105 average spin 2500 carry of 260 so it was a stiff shaft i was fitted with. Not over expensive cost me 180 with a new grip. I got told my speed was above average but to be honest I have no idea what any of it means.... I just nodded my head.