Golfers Thread

Gaz

I’ve never been one to be too critical of slow play, because if I was lining up a putt that had, quite literally, hundreds of thousands of pounds on the outcome of it, I would be taking my time as well. The semi final and final line up we have been left with however, seems to have thrown up the perfect mix of boring golf and slow play rolled into one. 

I’ve watched almost every minute of the television coverage since Wednesday night, but I’m really not caring who wins here. I had a small bet on Scheffler but that’s all that has kept my interest today. Not knocking the abilty of the players on show as they are all there on merit, but a Rahm, Fleetwood or Garcia would have made this Sunday night a bit more enjoyable. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

I’ve never been one to be too critical of slow play, because if I was lining up a putt that had, quite literally, hundreds of thousands of pounds on the outcome of it, I would be taking my time as well. The semi final and final line up we have been left with however, seems to have thrown up the perfect mix of boring golf and slow play rolled into one. 

I’ve watched almost every minute of the television coverage since Wednesday night, but I’m really not caring who wins here. I had a small bet on Scheffler but that’s all that has kept my interest today. Not knocking the abilty of the players on show as they are all there on merit, but a Rahm, Fleetwood or Garcia would have made this Sunday night a bit more enjoyable. 
Whether it's fatigue, the conditions, or a combination of both, the quality of play has been piss poor tonight.

28 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I'd take my time over a putt for hundreds of thousands of pounds but given these guys already have huge amounts of money in their bank accounts I'm less likely to cut them some slack. The pace of play in these matches has been a disgrace.

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I'd take my time over a putt for hundreds of thousands of pounds but given these guys already have huge amounts of money in their bank accounts I'm less likely to cut them some slack. The pace of play in these matches has been a disgrace.

Fair enough at the level these guys are at, that’s a fair point. I do think there is some unwarranted criticism of slow play though, it’s not like they are out there holding up a 2 ball behind them, they are the best golfers in the world out there trying to play the best golf that they can. 

For golfers trying to make their way in the game playing on the minor tours, if the putt is the difference between making a cut or gaining a place on the leaderboard etc. then I can’t blame them for taking their time, it’s their livelihoods at stake. I have a cousin who plays off plus 3, had a scholarship at an American university and was playing with the aim of getting on to the European Tour and he was telling me that missing a cut at these events basically meant taking a financial loss after travel, accommodation etc. had been taken into account, especially if you didn’t have any sort of sponsorship behind you.

I may have mentioned it on this thread before that my cousin was very lucky in that Paul Lawrie footed the bill from his own pocket for the vast majority of his travel costs, even to places like Dubai and Switzerland, which my cousin and his father were very grateful for. 

Anybody able to tell me what the going rate is for a golf lesson these days? I went for a lesson last week with a guy at the World of Golf in Clydebank, and he’s charging 60 quid. I thought it was pretty steep at the time but looking around the internet it doesn’t seem to be as over priced as I thought. 

I wouldn’t have minded as much if I thought I was getting my money’s worth but I made the mistake of saying to him early on that I was looking to get fitted for a new driver. I have an old Ping G20 that my uncle gave me 6 or 7 years ago, and I can hit the club pretty well maybe 60% of the time, but am susceptible to a big slice the rest of the time. I’ve tried 3 or 4 different drivers at the range and the slice is always there, which makes me think it’s not the club but something to do with my swing path, grip, club face etc.

I was hoping that after a lesson the guy would be able to spot what I was doing wrong, but all he’s told me is that I need to keep the club face pointing at the ball for longer when I take the club away, and turn my hips in time with my hands when bringing the club back too.  I wasn’t expecting to be firing 300 yard drives straight as a die after one lesson but I was expecting a bit more than that. He’s adamant that getting fitted for a new driver will help, and I’m sure that’s somewhat true. I will be getting fitted for a new driver in the next few weeks anyway, but I found it strange that he would focus more on getting a new club than looking at my swing.

1 hour ago, IrishBhoy said:

Anybody able to tell me what the going rate is for a golf lesson these days? I went for a lesson last week with a guy at the World of Golf in Clydebank, and he’s charging 60 quid. I thought it was pretty steep at the time but looking around the internet it doesn’t seem to be as over priced as I thought. 

I wouldn’t have minded as much if I thought I was getting my money’s worth but I made the mistake of saying to him early on that I was looking to get fitted for a new driver. I have an old Ping G20 that my uncle gave me 6 or 7 years ago, and I can hit the club pretty well maybe 60% of the time, but am susceptible to a big slice the rest of the time. I’ve tried 3 or 4 different drivers at the range and the slice is always there, which makes me think it’s not the club but something to do with my swing path, grip, club face etc.

I was hoping that after a lesson the guy would be able to spot what I was doing wrong, but all he’s told me is that I need to keep the club face pointing at the ball for longer when I take the club away, and turn my hips in time with my hands when bringing the club back too.  I wasn’t expecting to be firing 300 yard drives straight as a die after one lesson but I was expecting a bit more than that. He’s adamant that getting fitted for a new driver will help, and I’m sure that’s somewhat true. I will be getting fitted for a new driver in the next few weeks anyway, but I found it strange that he would focus more on getting a new club than looking at my swing.

Price varies for lessons quite dramatically, since I started playing again in 2017 I’ve had lessons with 5/6 different pros and I’ve finally found one I get on with and I’m seeing good results with. 

I’ve paid as little as £20 for a half hour lesson to as much as £60 for an hour. Try a few different coaches or speak to a couple of the lower handicaps at your club (if you’re a member) and see who they go to. At my club about three quarters of the summer league team all go to the same pro for lessons. 

12 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Price varies for lessons quite dramatically, since I started playing again in 2017 I’ve had lessons with 5/6 different pros and I’ve finally found one I get on with and I’m seeing good results with. 

I’ve paid as little as £20 for a half hour lesson to as much as £60 for an hour. Try a few different coaches or speak to a couple of the lower handicaps at your club (if you’re a member) and see who they go to. At my club about three quarters of the summer league team all go to the same pro for lessons. 

Cheers. Not a member of anywhere at the moment although I will hopefully be joining Ranfurly Castle in Renfrewshire within the next couple of weeks. I don’t think I will be going back to that guy, he didn’t tell me anything that I hadnt been told in a YouTube ‘fix your slice’ video. Maybe a bit of a mistake going to somewhere like World of Golf for lessons, but with the restrictions just now there wasn’t many other options. 

Cheers. Not a member of anywhere at the moment although I will hopefully be joining Ranfurly Castle in Renfrewshire within the next couple of weeks. I don’t think I will be going back to that guy, he didn’t tell me anything that I hadnt been told in a YouTube ‘fix your slice’ video. Maybe a bit of a mistake going to somewhere like World of Golf for lessons, but with the restrictions just now there wasn’t many other options. 
Contact fairways golf Coatbridge £35 per lesson, (Ewan or Bobby your wanting) they will sort you out very good at what they do, I cant recommend them highly enough, I had I lesson when I just started at Clydebank and they were more interested in selling me alternative clubs than trying to fix my flaws,

8 minutes ago, cas79 said:
1 hour ago, IrishBhoy said:

Contact fairways golf Coatbridge £35 per lesson, (Ewan or Bobby your wanting) they will sort you out very good at what they do, I cant recommend them highly enough, I had I lesson when I just started at Clydebank and they were more interested in selling me alternative clubs than trying to fix my flaws,

Spot on cheers mate, will give them a go. 

That was my experience as well, I hit a few drives and he took the club off me and looked at the grip and screwed his face up. The grip hasn’t been replaced for years and is well worn, but I don’t think it’s the reason I’m slicing the ball. Paying 60 quid to have a guy tell me my clubs are rubbish :lol:  Good to have a recommendation though cheers for that. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

Spot on cheers mate, will give them a go. 

That was my experience as well, I hit a few drives and he took the club off me and looked at the grip and screwed his face up. The grip hasn’t been replaced for years and is well worn, but I don’t think it’s the reason I’m slicing the ball. Paying 60 quid to have a guy tell me my clubs are rubbish [emoji38]  Good to have a recommendation though cheers for that. 

That sounds about right lol, guys name was Stewart, iv had a few lessons with Ewan at fairways and I'm seeing a big improvement already, wasted so much money in affordable golf, clydebank, ect, oh clydeway performance center is good too they do the aim point putting might be worth a call