Golfers Thread

Gaz

Anyone know if Pro Shops are doing club sales/fitting at the moment under Covid restrictions? Quite fancy a new driver. 
Some will still do a fitting but you'll be waiting ages for your club, November orders from mizuno were estimated to be February/March ping is very much the same, if your buying stock equipment you'll get in in a week or two tho

3 minutes ago, cas79 said:
8 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:
Anyone know if Pro Shops are doing club sales/fitting at the moment under Covid restrictions? Quite fancy a new driver. 

Some will still do a fitting but you'll be waiting ages for your club, November orders from mizuno were estimated to be February/March ping is very much the same, if your buying stock equipment you'll get in in a week or two tho

Cheers. I'm looking to compare the ST-X and ST-Z drivers from Mizuno but just noticed the nearest stockist is well out of my LA area anyway. Not sure I can justify £450-500 for Ping/Callaway options. 

Cheers. I'm looking to compare the ST-X and ST-Z drivers from Mizuno but just noticed the nearest stockist is well out of my LA area anyway. Not sure I can justify £450-500 for Ping/Callaway options. 
Check out cobra mate I currently use the speedzone and it's an absolute beast, the new radspeed are around £350 and just as good and out preform a lot of the so called bigger brands

17 minutes ago, cas79 said:

That sounds about right lol, guys name was Stewart, iv had a few lessons with Ewan at fairways and I'm seeing a big improvement already, wasted so much money in affordable golf, clydebank, ect, oh clydeway performance center is good too they do the aim point putting might be worth a call

I just want to get to a standard where I can regularly keep the ball in play off the tee. A half decent pro should be able to get me there hopefully. I’ve got a good drive in there somewhere, I just need to know what I’m doing wrong when the slice appears. It’s putting me off going to play better courses (when we are able to) as it feels like a waste of my money and time when I’m firing balls left every second or third drive, and end up just throwing a ball down on the fairway for a hit because I don’t want to hold up the guys I’m playing with in looking for my ball. 

I went and played the PGA course at Gleneagles last year and it was probably the least enjoyable round I’ve had, when it should have been a cracking day out. 

I can go from playing like a guy who’s never held a club before to creaming a 4 iron 6 feet from the pin, sometimes on the same hole. I still love it though and I’m desperate to get better. 

5 minutes ago, cas79 said:
11 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Check out cobra mate I currently use the speedzone and it's an absolute beast, the new radspeed are around £350 and just as good and out preform a lot of the so called bigger brands

Cheers - I've been youTubing reviews solidly for the last 3 nights 😂

It's between:

• Mizuno ST-X (maybe the Z)
  • The Radspeed
  • TM Sim2 (if i can push the boat out a bit) 

I just want to get to a standard where I can regularly keep the ball in play off the tee. A half decent pro should be able to get me there hopefully. I’ve got a good drive in there somewhere, I just need to know what I’m doing wrong when the slice appears. It’s putting me off going to play better courses (when we are able to) as it feels like a waste of my money and time when I’m firing balls left every second or third drive, and end up just throwing a ball down on the fairway for a hit because I don’t want to hold up the guys I’m playing with in looking for my ball. 

I went and played the PGA course at Gleneagles last year and it was probably the least enjoyable round I’ve had, when it should have been a cracking day out. 

I can go from playing like a guy who’s never held a club before to creaming a 4 iron 6 feet from the pin, sometimes on the same hole. I still love it though and I’m desperate to get better. 

On your drives line your left shoulder (right hander) to the target and hit you'll feel like your facing to much left but trust it and swing that should close the face more and cut out coming across the ball a little bit better, a pro will definitely improve your game but you need to be playing regular to really get better, course management is key no matter how good you are you will still hit slices and pulls how to recover from they shots is what will get your score down,
few years ago I played trump Aberdeen in 40mph winds and was the same waste of a day, now that I know what I'm doing I want another run at it lol, I'm wanting to play the queens next month mates are stingy and won't paiy that for golf

Cheers - I've been youTubing reviews solidly for the last 3 nights [emoji23]
It's between:
  • Mizuno ST-X (maybe the Z)
  • The Radspeed
  • TM Sim2 (if i can push the boat out a bit) 

The mizuno and radspeed are like two different clubs once you swing them you'll put the mizzy down lol, the sim 2 is great but not anything better than the m2 from a few years ago, good luck mate I'm glad I'm out that rabbit hole lol

8 minutes ago, cas79 said:

On your drives line your left shoulder (right hander) to the target and hit you'll feel like your facing to much left but trust it and swing that should close the face more and cut out coming across the ball a little bit better, a pro will definitely improve your game but you need to be playing regular to really get better, course management is key no matter how good you are you will still hit slices and pulls how to recover from they shots is what will get your score down,
few years ago I played trump Aberdeen in 40mph winds and was the same waste of a day, now that I know what I'm doing I want another run at it lol, I'm wanting to play the queens next month mates are stingy and won't paiy that for golf

We are spoiled living in this county with the courses we have just 2 or 3 hours drive away. That’s one of the main reasons I’m desperate to get better, the weekends away with a few mates to play a couple of nice courses. Provisionally booked up to play Scotscraig and Panmure next month if the restrictions allow it, with an overnight stay in Dundee. I’m using that as motivation to get better before we go so I’m not trudging around the course with my face tripping me :lol: 

Friend of mine played Trumps course in Aberdeen not long after it opened, and he said it was excellent. Looks a great set up with all the holes set down between the dunes but I’m not sure i would want to put any money into the Trump organisation after some of the shady stuff he done to the locals in Balmedie. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

We are spoiled living in this county with the courses we have just 2 or 3 hours drive away. That’s one of the main reasons I’m desperate to get better, the weekends away with a few mates to play a couple of nice courses. Provisionally booked up to play Scotscraig and Panmure next month if the restrictions allow it, with an overnight stay in Dundee. I’m using that as motivation to get better before we go so I’m not trudging around the course with my face tripping me [emoji38] 

Aye we are that I played 30 courses last summer loved it planning in doing the same this year just waiting on this lockdown easing before I plan ahead, that's it mate just get yourself on course and practice, if your alone play a couple of balls, short game and putting is were to start, drive for show put for Dough as the saying goes[emoji1787]
I'm 5 years in at this game and just last year it started to come together to were if I'm not makeing GIR I'm annoyed

1 minute ago, cas79 said:

Aye we are that I played 30 courses last summer loved it planning in doing the same this year just waiting on this lockdown easing before I plan ahead, that's it mate just get yourself on course and practice, if your alone play a couple of balls, short game and putting is were to start, drive for show put for Dough as the saying goesemoji1787.png
I'm 5 years in at this game and just last year it started to come together to were if I'm not makeing GIR I'm annoyed

I was a member of a course all through my teens until I had to move away for work at 21, fell away from it for a few years and trying to get back into now. My short game is pretty good, anything from about 160 in I’m pretty confident with. I usually hit my irons with a slight fade which is manageable and I can play for it, but it’s the driver where that fade turns into a slice. 

That’s good that you are getting to that standard, that’s where I think the game will become properly enjoyable for me.  One of the guys I play with is off 3 and he’s just nice and steady, nothing spectacular but rarely hits a wayward shot. 

**Fantasy Golf Week 12**

giphy-downsized-1.gif.07056aa7634deb0c8c185bcb540f117f.gif

So slow, so slow, we are the Billy Boys

After 4 days of great golf and one extremely long and boring one,  Billy Horschel is crowned the world's most annoyingly slow and boring golfer, finally edging JB Holmes off the top spot. Over 4 and a half hours for 16 holes, get in the sea pal. His WGC Matchplay win takes him to 17th in the world and now in with a shout for a Ryder Cup place. Organizers are now looking at contingency plans for extending the Cup to the Monday as Horschel's singles match may take a while to complete.

Elsewhere, one of the numerous South Africans populating the Euro Tour won again in Kenya, and the fantastically hatted Joel Dahmen won his first PGA title on his 101st start in the Dominican Republic.

IMG_20210329_125837.jpg.40e2e268cc7a25d088d6700eda36a845.jpg

@J_Stewart remains in pole position, just, going into the last week of the Road to the Masters. He has 3 big guns in DJ, Finau and Matsuyama all playing this week. The chasing pack will need to hope that one or two of the likes of Ancer, Fowler, Champ, Grace, Munoz etc. can pick up a win and/or 2nd place.

Standings 

667 (40)  @J_Stewart

661 (95) @Mr Kane and the lemon cafe

642 (24) @die hard doonhamer

581 (10) @Tartan Dave

576 (50) @alta-pete

558 (93) @Henderson to deliver .....

537 (20) @lichtie23

525 (10) @Ro Sham Bo

477 (10) @peasy23

403 (36) @Honest_Man#1

396 (10) @Distant Doonhamer

Only 1 tournament this week as the players either look to sharpen their game for Augusta, or grab a place in the field for the years first major. We're heading to the desert for the Valero Texas Open. TPC San Antonio, designed by none other than the Great White Shark himself Greg Norman, is the venue. Typical PGA fare for the most part, but a strong finish, the short uphill par 16th is only 350 yards, the par 3 17th is a copy of the 'bunker in the middle of the green' 6th at Riviera, while the 18th is a par 5 with a creek splitting the fairway and running all the way up to the green. Anything from a 3 to an 8 possible there, which should make for an exciting finish.

950084106.thumb.jpeg.8d6763b70c061b04e05ecad2f2bd899a.jpeg

I was a member of a course all through my teens until I had to move away for work at 21, fell away from it for a few years and trying to get back into now. My short game is pretty good, anything from about 160 in I’m pretty confident with. I usually hit my irons with a slight fade which is manageable and I can play for it, but it’s the driver where that fade turns into a slice. 

That’s good that you are getting to that standard, that’s where I think the game will become properly enjoyable for me.  One of the guys I play with is off 3 and he’s just nice and steady, nothing spectacular but rarely hits a wayward shot. 

I wish I played when I was younger just didn't like it more into my football back then, that's good your iron play is decent that's more important than driving, normally the longer shaft is perfect for slicing the ball I find I do it with my longer irons on my bad shots further down the bag the bad shots are a pull,
aye mate I was chasing scores and trying to complete with single HC for the first couple of years now my mindset is playing the course to my ability and I'm back enjoying it again, accepting my distances has been a major game changer last year

2 hours ago, cas79 said:

I wish I played when I was younger just didn't like it more into my football back then, that's good your iron play is decent that's more important than driving, normally the longer shaft is perfect for slicing the ball I find I do it with my longer irons on my bad shots further down the bag the bad shots are a pull,
aye mate I was chasing scores and trying to complete with single HC for the first couple of years now my mindset is playing the course to my ability and I'm back enjoying it again, accepting my distances has been a major game changer last year

I wish I’d played much more when I was younger, some of these juniors you see come through that have been playing since 6 or 7 and have technically brilliant swings, and because they learned so young they never lose it.

As I mentioned earlier my cousin plays off plus 3, was runner up in the Scottish Boys Championship a few years ago when I went up to watch him at Monifeith, it was like watching the pros. If I remember rightly the 18th at Monifeith is a long Par 5, the boy he was playing took a driver off the deck for his second shot and stuck it in the greenside bunker, then chipped in out the bunker for an eagle and to win the match :lol: 

Im the highest handicap in our group of 4, but as well as marking our own cards we play fourballs for a fiver a hole. I seem to play better in that format when I’m with a partner, and love the competitive side of it. It really is some game, choking for the country to open up and get playing properly.