Golfers Thread

Gaz

Just now, Distant Doonhamer said:

Well played.

Played at Ladybank last week. It was in superb condition.

Cheers.

Aye, the course is terrific just now, and the new bunkers have made a real difference to the look of the place. Having said that, the heather and wispy, hosel-grabbing rough have shot up over the last week or two, so there's a real premium in keeping it on the short stuff.

Just now, doulikefish said:

Great incentive this week at the Scottish..make the cut make the open if you are not already exempt 

Is it not top 3 finishers who haven't already qualified get in, same as at Irish Open last week? Potentially letting in 40 or 50 non-qualified players seems a stretch...

20 minutes ago, funky_nomad said:

Is it not top 3 finishers who haven't already qualified get in, same as at Irish Open last week? Potentially letting in 40 or 50 non-qualified players seems a stretch...

Initially that's what I thought but the commentators have mentioned it twice.I honestly thought I was hearing things  as I'm working so I have the volume  down quite low but I'm positive that's what they said ( Ewen Murray comms)

Yep, top 3 non qualifiers get a place.

Martin Kaymer got his call up from the reserve list after Kevin Na withdrew.

Angel Cabrera jailed for 2 years on domestic abuse charges.

https://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/angel-cabrera-two-time-major-champ-jailed-in-argentina

23 minutes ago, funky_nomad said:

I read earlier it was the top 4 spots. Either way there's no chance it would be any more than a handful surely.

Initially that's what I thought but the commentators have mentioned it twice.I honestly thought I was hearing things  as I'm working so I have the volume  down quite low but I'm positive that's what they said ( Ewen Murray comms)
Definitely only 3, here's the rules from The Open website. Screenshot_20210708-151713_Chrome.jpg

Just now, Ro Sham Bo said:

It could be he meant that anyone who makes the cut has a chance of qualifying for the Open?

With this quality of field it's conceivable that someone outside the top 20 might still get a place.

Twilight play-off on Sunday evening for the last spot between 5 or 6 folk who finished in Top 10 might be fun...

Twilight play-off on Sunday evening for the last spot between 5 or 6 folk who finished in Top 10 might be fun...
Don't think it works like that. At the Irish last week when Forrest was tied 2nd with 2 other players, he would have missed out on the Open spot as he had the lowest world ranking of the players he was tied with.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:
2 hours ago, funky_nomad said:

Don't think it works like that. At the Irish last week when Forrest was tied 2nd with 2 other players, he would have missed out on the Open spot as he had the lowest world ranking of the players he was tied with.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:
2 hours ago, funky_nomad said:

Yep if players are tied for the Open spots it's decided on world golf ranking. 

was playing off of 20 4 rounds ago struggling to break 90...went out 2 weeks ago and decided to try standing a bit further away from the ball when using my irons since then i have shot 81,89,84,84 nae idea if it will last but i'll enjoy this wee purple patch...now down to 16 

6 minutes ago, Meeniedee said:

was playing off of 20 4 rounds ago struggling to break 90...went out 2 weeks ago and decided to try standing a bit further away from the ball when using my irons since then i have shot 81,89,84,84 nae idea if it will last but i'll enjoy this wee purple patch...now down to 16 

Good golf 👍🏻

6 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Good golf 👍🏻

cheers mate i stand further away when hitting my driver and it tends work so just thought i'd try it with my irons incredible the difference it has made even noticed i dont take a divot the size of a small bunker when hitting my wedges 🤣it wont last 🤣

3 hours ago, peasy23 said:
4 hours ago, funky_nomad said:

Yeah I know, I was being wistful, but the potential scenes a la Local Qualifying a couple of weeks back would've been a sight to behold.

Watched some good golf yesterday, I continue to be amazed at how high Rory drives the ball, just incredible. Felt the crowd size was excellent, allowing you get around the course and see what you wanted without being 7 or 8 bodies deep.

Funniest moment had to be Ian Poulter, noising up the crowd alongside a spectator in an England shirt with a flag. (Seen a few of those yesterday). Saying "it's coming home" repeatedly whilst waiting to tee off on a par 5. Eventually goes to tee off and some guy shouts C'mon Italy on his backswing causing a 30 yard slice.