Golfers Thread

Gaz

I had a quick look and biggest name I can spot is Thomas Detry I think, not sure if it’s the finalised draw yet. 
Gonzalo Fernandez Castano also tees it up tomorrow at St. Anne's Old, a 7 time winner on the European Tour. Jarmo Sandelin giving it a go at Princes.

10 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Some finish by Bubba who was leading, playing the last 5 holes in 6 over par to finish 6 behind.

The qualifier at St Annes is finally over.

Aye , I watched that he just seemed to lose the plot . I watched the first 4 extra holes , but gave up just after midnight as I had to go to bed 

Bob has had to withdraw from the Irish open due to a contact from his flight post US Open.

Hopefully he’s all fine and good to go for the Scottish.
Pity. I was looking at the Ryder Cup standings, for months he was just outside the automatic qualifying spots on the world list, but since the double points period started he has fallen a fair bit behind. Victor Perez occupies the last automatic spot at the moment, Bob now has Lowry, Migliozzi, Wiesberger, Rose and Garcia to overhaul as well as Perez. He needs a good few weeks as he has also slipped to 51st on the OWGR from a high of 42nd after the Arnold Palmer.

That’s good for them and I’m chuffed……but I won my first comp on Sunday and it was in the monthly medal, so it’s clear I’m the real winner this week 
Well done.

Posted further up that we played a tri-am on Saturday and my team had a 59, which we didn't expect to be in the prizes. Turned out to be good enough for T3rd with only two 58s in front of us. As happy as I was that a couple of nett eagles and a few nett birdies I made contributed to the score, I'm still raging about the missed chance I had on 7 when I was putting for a nett eagle, but 3 jabbed it to walk off with a 5 for a nett par 4. [emoji85]

7 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Well done.

Posted further up that we played a tri-am on Saturday and my team had a 59, which we didn't expect to be in the prizes. Turned out to be good enough for T3rd with only two 58s in front of us. As happy as I was that a couple of nett eagles and a few nett birdies I made contributed to the score, I'm still raging about the missed chance I had on 7 when I was putting for a nett eagle, but 3 jabbed it to walk off with a 5 for a nett par 4. emoji85.png

Congrats to you and your teammates! 

Congrats to you and your teammates! 
Cheers. It was a good mix that was flung together by chance. One was scratch, one getting 8 shots, and me getting 15. The difference it made having a scratch player who hardy drops a shot was huge, and on the odd occasion he did make a horlicks of it one of the other two got a par at worst. We thought we were out of it at the turn as we were 31 (-5) at the turn, then didn't pick anything up in the next 3 holes either, but we were 7 under for the last 6, but disappointingly could only par the last.

Did you get a nice sweep win? I got £48 the other week for winning division 3 in our stableford competition.

10 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Cheers. It was a good mix that was flung together by chance. One was scratch, one getting 8 shots, and me getting 15. The difference it made having a scratch player who hardy drops a shot was huge, and on the odd occasion he did make a horlicks of it one of the other two got a par at worst. We thought we were out of it at the turn as we were 31 (-5) at the turn, then didn't pick anything up in the next 3 holes either, but we were 7 under for the last 6, but disappointingly could only par the last.

Did you get a nice sweep win? I got £48 the other week for winning division 3 in our stableford competition.

Not had the email yet mate. At least I know I’m getting a shiney medal at the end of the season

6 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Here it is lads, the ball that I used to win my first comp. not a ProV 1 or a chrome soft……but a Taylor Made Burner that I pulled out the bottom of my bag. It’s been retired now 

8740CADB-1ECB-431D-B611-AA5153A52CF0.jpeg

F38BD680-3E00-4472-A1E5-0FBB598AEB6C.jpeg

Good stuff.

I still have the golf balls used on the two occasions when I've had a hole in one and also the ball used when I finally got down to single figures in 2009.

Iv got my first birdie ball, first time breaking 80 and now first comp win ball. Never thought about keeping the ball that  gets me to single figures. I’m at 13 just now so hopefully I can get down in the not to distant future. My putting let’s me down badly so working on that should help. 

As a side note my wife also has a first birdie ball retired. She was this close to a hole in one at Edzell in only her 4th ever round of golf…….arse hole that she is. 

41FE68B0-E60F-42C4-ADCD-415172CFD9D3.jpeg

23 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Here it is lads, the ball that I used to win my first comp. not a ProV 1 or a chrome soft……but a Taylor Made Burner that I pulled out the bottom of my bag. It’s been retired now 

8740CADB-1ECB-431D-B611-AA5153A52CF0.jpeg

F38BD680-3E00-4472-A1E5-0FBB598AEB6C.jpeg

If TM don't get in touch to offer you some sort of equipment contract after this plug there's no justice in the world. 

I should probably say that I’m not having a dig at anyone for using a “cheaper ball” as it might be better for their game/circumstances/finances. I’d love to buy a dozen proV 1s every month but it’s not financially viable for me. In fact the majority of premium balls in my bag have been found on the course. 

4 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

I should probably say that I’m not having a dig at anyone for using a “cheaper ball” as it might be better for their game/circumstances/finances. I’d love to buy a dozen proV 1s every month but it’s not financially viable for me. In fact the majority of premium balls in my bag have been found on the course. 

Every ProV1 I have has either been gifted to me or found on the course. And even then I barely use them because I don't want to lose them 🙈

Edited by Ro Sham Bo

Every ProV1 I have has either been gifted to me or found on the course. And even then I barely use them because I don't want to lose them [emoji85]
Think we would all love to buy them, but the practicalities of either losing them or scuffing them up with badly hit shots puts them out of most of our price ranges.
Back when I played in the club at Linn Park every week there used to be a wee guy who sat at the clubhouse with a bucket of balls. At the time it was 50p for a ProV. Numerous times I bought them from him, lost them, then bought them back again a week or two later. [emoji1787]

I've settled on Srixon Soft Feels over the last couple of years, good all round ball and I like the feel of them off the putter.

I bought 4 dozen ProV1’s to start the season, got a bulk buy deal from Scottsdale Golf. I use them for a couple rounds then fire them in the practice bag! The joys of not having a wife and kids 😂

Had been using Srixon Z-Stars for a couple years and felt they cut up far too easily and became unusable after 1 round.