Golfers Thread

Gaz

Just home from a round at Dundonald Links. What a course. Shot 126... 2 pars and not a single three putt though, so I'm happy! Lost a lot of balls off the tee in very extensive, thick rough. If any of you get the chance to play there you need to take it.
Played it a few times once off the back tees, cracking course, all 4 are beauty's western Gail's, Glasgow Gail's and barrassie only played GG and dundonald tho

38 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

What's your bet for the Open? :whistle

I was just about to post similar 

What's the thoughts for this week?

Rahmbo clear fav 8/1 

Forgot to mention only player to finish top 10 in the last 2 opens........tony finau

Edited by doulikefish

Played 9 holes yesterday morning before lunch with the wife in some wonderful conditions. Round in 38 (4+). Im hitting the ball really well just now. Shot of the round is pictured below. 9 iron to about 6 feet and I rolled in the putt for a birdie 3. Only thing that needs sharpened up is my putting. Really enjoying my golf just now. Playing off 11.9 as of today as well which is a cut of 2.1 since the start of June.

407A7032-26B3-47DA-854F-E1AB0452EBF0.jpeg

On 08/07/2020 at 19:52, Slacker said:

Just started playing golf and hit 114 round Troon Fullarton today, starting 9-9 and 3 putting pretty much every hole. One par. Hope to get under 100 by September...

Just thought I'd update on this - have probably played only 6 full rounds since this post a year ago! So still a complete beginner, but been going to the driving range a lot. Went round Fullarton in 89 today so getting the hang of it. 3-putted about 6 holes and topped a couple of shots, so still plenty of room for improvement. 4 pars.

Played Dunnikier for the first time in decades yesterday evening. I'd forgotten what a cracking layout it is, lovely rolling terrain and lots of elevation changes. You could almost forget you were in Kirkcaldy at times... 😉

Shame the greens were seeding, though - I would reckon they were running at around 6 or 7 tops on the stimp. Didn't stop me enjoying the course.

2 hours ago, funky_nomad said:

Played Dunnikier for the first time in decades yesterday evening. I'd forgotten what a cracking layout it is, lovely rolling terrain and lots of elevation changes. You could almost forget you were in Kirkcaldy at times... 😉

Shame the greens were seeding, though - I would reckon they were running at around 6 or 7 tops on the stimp. Didn't stop me enjoying the course.

Walked past the course the other night and was thinking I'd need to give it a go. I've only played there once, and that was about 30 years ago.

3 hours ago, funky_nomad said:

I play there a few times a year and the changes they made around 5/6 years ago are only now looking like they have been there all the time 

**Fantasy Golf Week 27**

Capture_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSVWeZ_vEN7c6bHu2jJnT8.PNG.61ac6fd90a920bf321c2c87a36367072.PNG

It's coming home (with me)

Bizarre scenes this week as some boy tried to nick Rory's driver on the range, when it's clear that it's his putter that needs taken off him. Golf came home to its spiritual birthplace on the East coast of Scotland where a top class field was defeated by a surprise package from Australia, Min Woo Lee,  who isn't even the best golfer in his family, his sister is the women's world no.14.

Over on the wee guy's tour, Lucas Glover won his 4th PGA event (one of them is a US Open tbf) at the John Deere Classic where presumably he was given a tractor or something as 1st prize.

Overall Standings 

There was a 1.5x multiplier in effect at the Scottish Open this week, where yours truly ended up top scorer. My visit on Thursday paying off after a wee pep talk with the lads, both Fitzpatrick and Detry made the playoff, while both Brandon Grace and Rasmus Hojgaard below, both promised me 100 points each by the end of the season.20210708_131835.thumb.jpg.41bbdb103d27564dcef25f220d64570f.jpg

Also had a quick word with Garrick Higgo, who confirmed that his stunning run of form and break into the world's top 50 was entirely motivated by @Tartan Dave dropping him from his fantasy team.

20210708_142907.thumb.jpg.4c2d203e337e3765176de07b08a75d26.jpg

Back on track, @die hard doonhamer still leads the way and we've almost got everyone into 4 figures now.

1280 @die hard doonhamer

1187 @J_Stewart

1162 @Frank Sobotka

1112 @Tartan Dave

1100 @alta-pete

1086 @peasy23

1033 @lichtie23

1020 @Mr Kane and the lemon cafe

992 @Ro Sham Bo

986 @Honest_Man#1

794 @Distant Doonhamer

The Race to Whistling Straits table 

632 @die hard doonhamer

606 @Frank Sobotka

589 @peasy23

530 @Honest_Man#1

510 @J_Stewart

510 @Tartan Dave

502 @Ro Sham Bo

462 @alta-pete

448 @lichtie23

390 @Distant Doonhamer

327 @Mr Kane and the lemon cafe

2021_Open_Championship_logo.png.fc31e3a67a90607b35305a3fcafec55c.pngA-Day-At-Royal-St-Georges-Golf-Club0883-Edit.thumb.jpg.90d139f05afab700988e5c0272979ff6.jpg

And so to the big one. The Open Championship in Sandwich at the historic Royal St. George's Golf Club. The first English course to host The Open back in 1894 and the 4th most used venue after St. Andrews, Muirfield and Prestwick. Expertly crafted from  links land, it sits beautifully alongside it's sister courses Cinque Ports and Princes in the South East corner of England. Quirky yet traditional, blind shots, deep bunkers, rolling fairways and undulating greens await.

royal_st_3___georges_golf_club.thumb.jpg.a4fced85630c0bc2f51bc7b3c58ff708.jpg

Past winners here include The Great White Shark Greg Norman, Darren Clarke and our very own Sandy Lyle. This year the course clocks in at 7206, not long for these lads, and, as is common on the coast, the weather will be a huge factor in the scoring. Relatively benign conditions are expected this week, with the disclaimer that it can turn pretty quickly down on the south coast. Lyle won at +2, Curtis at -1 and Clarke at -5. I think we'll see something approaching Norman's -13 in 1993 this week, which may make this a more 'open' Open. Good scoring form and a good links record are vital here this week imo, plenty home players fit the bill and will get some great support from the crowd.

The last major of the year, double points on offer. Football never came home, but the golf just might.

article_royal-st-georges.jpg.3219e613125e6159afdba640e39e13f5.jpg

15 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Played 9 holes yesterday morning before lunch with the wife in some wonderful conditions. Round in 38 (4+). Im hitting the ball really well just now. Shot of the round is pictured below. 9 iron to about 6 feet and I rolled in the putt for a birdie 3. Only thing that needs sharpened up is my putting. Really enjoying my golf just now. Playing off 11.9 as of today as well which is a cut of 2.1 since the start of June.

407A7032-26B3-47DA-854F-E1AB0452EBF0.jpeg

Yes, I played yesterday too - got a call to say I was in the Royal Aberdeen Seniors....sensational day although wee bit foggy initially.  Course is in unbelievable condition.  Shot 86 but felt I played well - just found too many bunkers....also had a 7 at last - had 6" tap-in but it bounced out after hitting that stupid wire thing on flag that they still have (dont see anywhere else) 

Played a couple rounds on Sunday and got cuts as a result of both (Montrose Open and my sunday medal)  Started the year at 9.3 (WHI) went up to 12.5 very quickly but now back down to 8.9.  Got the Cruden Bay four day in a couple of hours so looking forward to that

I'm looking for wee gems about an hour from Glasgow would go a little further if worth it, looking for cheaper rounds as IV spent a small fortune the past few months, any suggestions would be great cheers,
My mates and I love a round at Girvan. Half links half parkland. Me and my golfing mates now live in Glasgow and recently joined Cowglen, and are actually planning a trip back down the coast soon to do Girvan and Belleisle or Seafield in a day. If you're a member at a James Braid course you'll get 50% off the South Ayrshire green fees.