Golfers Thread

Gaz

4 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Are you having a laugh?  St George's is magnificent, the Old Course is utter shite. A goat track, glorified pitch and putt which is so short and easy they use tees from other courses and have to put pins on the side of hills to stop people shooting 55. The Old Course is utter shit, not even top thousnd golf courses in the British Isles. There is one good hole, 11, and that's it. 

I know for a fact Lee Westwood called St Andrews "not even in the top 100 courses in Fife". Its utter utter utter utter shit. St Georges is light years better.

3 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Its just a fact, everyone that actually knows golf knows the Old Course is utter shite. Its not even the fifth best course in St Andrews

How bored do you actually have to be to resort to this?

Peppy, booby, baby, it's so nice outside, there's a world to be lived in, make the most of it good brother.

4 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Are you having a laugh?  St George's is magnificent, the Old Course is utter shite. A goat track, glorified pitch and putt which is so short and easy they use tees from other courses and have to put pins on the side of hills to stop people shooting 55. The Old Course is utter shit, not even top thousnd golf courses in the British Isles. There is one good hole, 11, and that's it. 

I know for a fact Lee Westwood called St Andrews "not even in the top 100 courses in Fife". Its utter utter utter utter shit. St Georges is light years better.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/golf/old-course-earns-westwoods-respect/article1387377/

3 hours ago, Frank Sobotka said:

It's not a fact though is it ?

Is the Old Course becoming obsolete thanks to the modern golfer and his equipment ? Yes. Does it rely on the weather as it's main defence more than any other on the Open rota ? Yes. Are there a few boring, dogshit holes ? Yes.

None of this detracts from it's influence on thousands of courses and holes across the world, just because much of the strategy has been neutralized due to modern equipment.

You also think that Augusta National is a "clown course", therefore I'm perfectly willing to fire any opinions you have on course design or architecture directly into the bin.

No it hsnt', there's no courses out there like the Old Course. Its shit, it doesn't have good holes. The holes are shit, as its a shit course. It hasn't influenced anywhere as nowhere would be stupid enough to build a course like that.

Its an entirely uncontroversial opinion that the Old Course is shit. It is, everyone thinks that. Its not a good course mate, if it wasn't where it is no chance would any tournament have ever been held there. Its not even top 100 in Scotland in terms of how good it is, not even close. 

I am quoting Lee Westwood verbatim btw, his own words, not even top 100 in Fife. So I'm perfectly comfortable if some fandan online who has probably only seen it on TV thinks I'm wrong. Its laughably bad, I've been round it over 50 times mate. It grows on you a wee bit, but ultimately is a shite golf course.

2 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Most links courses rely on shit weather as a defence against tour pros. Even Carnoustie is an absolute cakewalk for these guys in benign conditions. The Old Course is a bit overrated, but not to the extent that Carnoustie is.

Is it f**k, they had the best conditions they've ever had in 2018 and couldn't hit double figures. Carnoustie is one of the few courses is just hard all the time in any conditions and could hold a major tomorrow if need be. Its also light years better than the Old Course, like astonishing the difference between them.

Obviously you lot don't know the Old Course but if you did, the worst par four on the planet hands down ever is number 9 on the Old Course. Farcically bad, just ludicrous how shit it is. Its nothing. And ten is not much better. Compare that to 9 and 10 on Carnoustie two of the best and hardest par fours in the world.

3 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Most links courses rely on shit weather as a defence against tour pros. Even Carnoustie is an absolute cakewalk for these guys in benign conditions. The Old Course is a bit overrated, but not to the extent that Carnoustie is.

I missed that, you think Carnoustie is more overrated than the Old Course?  Wow. Carnoustie if anything is underrated. Its the best course in the world mate, hands down number one golf course on the planet. Clearly underrted. The Old Course is probably the most overrated thing in human history. I call it the greatest marketing exercise of all time. They have people literally queuing up overnight to play a goat track that isn't even top thousand courses in Europe.

9 on the Old Course is genuinely the worst par four I've ever seen and I've played over 150 courses easy. Its jaw droppingly bad. Seriously go and have a look at it, you won't believe it.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:
6 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:
I read some comments from Harrington yesterday suggesting his 3 picks would be experienced players and any rookies would need to play their way on to the team. 
MacIntyre is playing on the US tour this week then the next WGC event a couple of weeks later. He's going to need to show up well in those events to have a chance. 
I think he's now very close to securing his playing rights for the PGA tour also. 

Supposedly he fancies Garcia and Poulter as two of the picks.

I'd be very surprised if Rose isn't picked also. Possibly Lowry might get a pick if he ends up outside the automatic qualifiers but he's the only one I could see getting in ahead of one of the three experienced players.

4 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Is it f**k, they had the best conditions they've ever had in 2018 and couldn't hit double figures. Carnoustie is one of the few courses is just hard all the time in any conditions and could hold a major tomorrow if need be. Its also light years better than the Old Course, like astonishing the difference between them.

Obviously you lot don't know the Old Course but if you did, the worst par four on the planet hands down ever is number 9 on the Old Course. Farcically bad, just ludicrous how shit it is. Its nothing. And ten is not much better. Compare that to 9 and 10 on Carnoustie two of the best and hardest par fours in the world.

Bollox... The Old Course is a fabulous course. I've played it several times and just love it. It's not just the course, of course(!) it's the setting and the whole atmosphere of the place, steeped as it is in golf history. St Andrews is rightly recognised the world over as the home of golf.

I agree with your comments on Carnoustie - I've played there too and it is a great golf course, but surely you would agree that there's no comparison between the towns of Carnoustie and St Andrews.

1 minute ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Bollox... The Old Course is a fabulous course. I've played it several times and just love it. It's not just the course, of course(!) it's the setting and the whole atmosphere of the place, steeped as it is in golf history. St Andrews is rightly recognised the world over as the home of golf.

I agree with your comments on Carnoustie - I've played there too and it is a great golf course, but surely you would agree that there's no comparison between the towns of Carnoustie and St Andrews.

We're not discussing the towns, take the Old Course out of its setting and judge it purely as a golf course. Its awful. And St Andrews isn't actually the home of golf either. Its a marketing exercise. The oldest record of golf in Carnoustie predates St Andrews, Carnoustie GC is older than St Andrews, Prestwick is older, Musselburgh. St Andrews is where the R and A is based, its not the home of golf. It wasn't invented there, it isn't oldest there. 

3 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

We're not discussing the towns, take the Old Course out of its setting and judge it purely as a golf course. Its awful. And St Andrews isn't actually the home of golf either. Its a marketing exercise. The oldest record of golf in Carnoustie predates St Andrews, Carnoustie GC is older than St Andrews, Prestwick is older, Musselburgh. St Andrews is where the R and A is based, its not the home of golf. It wasn't invented there, it isn't oldest there. 

Try and get your head round some of the comments expressed on here, from golfers who's words carry some respect.

https://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/st-andrews-why-the-greats-of-the-game-love-the-old-course

Next year's US Open is Brookline, which hasn't hosted a major since 1988 albeit it did have the infamous 1999 ryder Cup, and Southern Hills for the PGA which has hosted one US open and one PGA this century. 

Southern Hills is 6 hours behind so at least it's not a West Coast major. 

1 hour ago, J_Stewart said:

How bored do you actually have to be to resort to this?

Peppy, booby, baby, it's so nice outside, there's a world to be lived in, make the most of it good brother.

I take it back, Peppy in this kind of form is simply irresistible and irrepressible. He cannot and should not be tamed. Unplayable on this kind of form. The prime Tiger of the "furiously arguing about golf courses" game. A colossus. 

Keep doing your thang, Peppy boo.

3 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Try and get your head round some of the comments expressed on here, from golfers who's words carry some respect.

https://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/st-andrews-why-the-greats-of-the-game-love-the-old-course

I've heard it all a thousnd times, it doesn't cut any ice with me. Its marketing and people blinded by the history and setting etc. I work extensively with golf toursts every year. 95% of them hate it, they all say its laughably bad.

As for Carnoustie, these people play the world's best courses, no joke 90-95% of them say Crnoustie is the best course they've ever seen. Like no joke 90-95% of them.

2 hours ago, peasy23 said:
7 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:
I read some comments from Harrington yesterday suggesting his 3 picks would be experienced players and any rookies would need to play their way on to the team. 
MacIntyre is playing on the US tour this week then the next WGC event a couple of weeks later. He's going to need to show up well in those events to have a chance. 
I think he's now very close to securing his playing rights for the PGA tour also. 

Supposedly he fancies Garcia and Poulter as two of the picks.

And you can’t really argue with that. 

1 hour ago, HalfCutNinja said:

As for Carnoustie, these people play the world's best courses, no joke 90-95% of them say Crnoustie is the best course they've ever seen. Like no joke 90-95% of them.

I can't work out whether you're joking or not, more clarity please!