Golfers Thread

Gaz

Just now, Ervin H Burrell said:

Anyone else watching this ?

Jumped onto the live stream when I got in from work there , switched it back off after 5 minutes.  Don't quite understand what they're trying to serve up to us. It's no faster than the regular tour and has the atmosphere of a queen's park game at Hampden.  Was expecting air horns and chanting from the crowd and shot clock/ happy Gilmore style drives . Add to that the garish graphics that annoyingly ping every time they focus on another player and it's a no from me.  

9 minutes ago, Ervin H Burrell said:

I am. Not sure the format is really suited to TV. And the teams thing doesn't work if the kit manufacturers are going to insist that they play in their normal gear. 

The pearl clutching about it has been quite funny though. 

Edited by sparky88

18 minutes ago, Ervin H Burrell said:

Gave it 30 minutes. Seemed to only be interested in DJ, Phil and the other bloke in that group. Analysts were pretty poor as well. 

5 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:

Jumped onto the live stream when I got in from work there , switched it back off after 5 minutes.  Don't quite understand what they're trying to serve up to us. It's no faster than the regular tour and has the atmosphere of a queen's park game at Hampden.  Was expecting air horns and chanting from the crowd and shot clock/ happy Gilmore style drives . Add to that the garish graphics that annoyingly ping every time they focus on another player and it's a no from me.  

It's faster in the sense that it is going to be over by half 6. 

Initial thoughts...

-seeing a lot more golf than Sky/American broadcasting. Sounds silly, but possibly too much. It's just shot after shot with no real context.

-the commentary and analysis is fucking woeful.

-has a big 'exhibition' feel for sure. 

-that fucking annoying text message ping everytime they switch to someone.

-graphics are OK, the near constant leaderboard getting refreshed is good.

-the team aspect seems pretty pointless atm, especially with no uniforms or badges.

-I don't like the shotgun start.

I've not watched any of it yet but the shotgun start doesn't appeal at all. I get that they are trying to condense the days play into a little time as possible but I want to see a tournament won by someone coming down the 18th, not the 7th.

16 hours ago, Halbeath Raith Rover said:

95% feel this is shameless greed and sportswashing.

5% of me is amused to see the PGA tour losing players due to $$ Good to see them on the other side of things after they essentialy made the european tour a joke.

Format of LIV is terrible 

Yes, i really see no difference between what the PGA tour have done to Europe to what this mob are attempting to do with the PGA. The Saudi human rights thing is a bit of a red herring as in reality NOBODY really cares about that including Governments and journalists / analysts who are only too happy to cow tow to them when it suits.

As you say though, the format is horrendous, the quality of the field is poor and it's really just a money making love in for those participating as opposed to any sort of serious consumer product or viewing spectacle.

Let's be honest, the greed that's already in the game is in danger of destroying it, when certain players (both top tier and rookie) are now almost "part time" due to the riches on offer and as such there's little to no chance of any one player dominating in the future as they simply don't play enough.

My own pet hate is how many of the "European (DP WORLD) tour players" only play about 3 or 4 tournaments per season and just ignore the majority of tournaments which makes the whole thing a mockery.

As such I've no real sympathy for any of them as ultimately they're all driven by greed, irrespective of how they like to sell it.....

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I've not watched any of it yet but the shotgun start doesn't appeal at all. I get that they are trying to condense the days play into a little time as possible but I want to see a tournament won by someone coming down the 18th, not the 7th.

I guess they could start the leading group on the 1st for the final round?

The tournament isn't going to be won by an individual though. It seems a bit confused about whether it is a team or individual event tbh. 

10 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Changed my mind I'm now "LiV till I die" just heard some clown on the pga coverage shouting "go smith let's do that all week baby" to Cam Smith when he teed off

I suspect the American LIV crowd will manage to be even worse somehow when the series heads over there. 

2 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Hopefully one thing the LIV tour does is give the PGA tour's coverage a kick in the balls. Sick of watching the same handful of players and listening to folk waffling. Show us more golf, simple.362cefde9435fa85a8c87c9a7d75fbca.jpg

Agree with that. This idea they have that most golf viewers want to watch nobody other than a handful of feature groups each day is a tad insulting.