Golfers Thread

Gaz

13 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Hovland rumoured to be joining the LIV circuit. He would be their biggest coup yet I think, with him being a top 10 player with his best days likely still ahead of him. 

Bryson still the biggest "get" for me.  Like him or loath him, attention follows him - just looking at Bay Hill last year.  Think he's a bigger draw than Hovland.  FWIW, I think Hovland will stay on the PGA Tour based on an interview I read yesterday. 

Although they look to be on the brink of disaster, the power is really in the DP Tours hand.  If they go into partnership with LIV, or give the LIV guys unrestricted access to the tour for OWGR points - they become super attractive.  It will though come at the detriment of the PGA Tour partnership, which looking at the strength of the Scottish Open field has done the expected job. 

The money on offer from LIV is frightening, Matthew Wolff apparently on the verge of being announced with a $45m signing fee. 

37 minutes ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

Bryson still the biggest "get" for me.  Like him or loath him, attention follows him - just looking at Bay Hill last year.  Think he's a bigger draw than Hovland.  FWIW, I think Hovland will stay on the PGA Tour based on an interview I read yesterday. 

Although they look to be on the brink of disaster, the power is really in the DP Tours hand.  If they go into partnership with LIV, or give the LIV guys unrestricted access to the tour for OWGR points - they become super attractive.  It will though come at the detriment of the PGA Tour partnership, which looking at the strength of the Scottish Open field has done the expected job. 

The money on offer from LIV is frightening, Matthew Wolff apparently on the verge of being announced with a $45m signing fee. 

$45 million for Wolff is unreal. I wonder who'll be discarded from the first event to make way for the new recruits. 

I think the procrastination from the DP tour suggests they know they suddenly have a bit of power here. They can either sell out to LIV and become a serious rival to the PGA Tour, or potentially use the threat of this as leverage to get a better deal in their 'alliance' with the PGA Tour.

22 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

$45 million for Wolff is unreal. I wonder who'll be discarded from the first event to make way for the new recruits. 

I think the procrastination from the DP tour suggests they know they suddenly have a bit of power here. They can either sell out to LIV and become a serious rival to the PGA Tour, or potentially use the threat of this as leverage to get a better deal in their 'alliance' with the PGA Tour.

The amateurs that made up the numbers in London will be first to get binned. If they are sticking with the shotgun start then a 54 man field makes more sense than 48 tbh, so they do have a bit of wiggle room.

If they do keep attracting more players though then sooner or later they will have to cut players. Obvious candidates would be folk like Chase Koepka and the US Amateur Champ Piot, and the other guys who are 1000+ on the OWGR.

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I imagine it'll be some of the Asian Tour nobodies that made up the London field.  Think they'll want to keep Piot and Puig as they're seen as rising starts.  Both again reportedly $4m signing fees despite still having amateur status.  Piot for example is playing kitted out in LIV gear this week. 

Ogletree also been very outspoken in support on Twitter so expect he'll be a mainstay despite playing like an 8 handicap. 

I have a feeling the European Tour will go with the LIV option and force the PGA Tours hand. 

1 hour ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

I imagine it'll be some of the Asian Tour nobodies that made up the London field.  Think they'll want to keep Piot and Puig as they're seen as rising starts.  Both again reportedly $4m signing fees despite still having amateur status.  Piot for example is playing kitted out in LIV gear this week. 

Ogletree also been very outspoken in support on Twitter so expect he'll be a mainstay despite playing like an 8 handicap. 

I have a feeling the European Tour will go with the LIV option and force the PGA Tours hand. 

I'll bet he has. He must think all his Christmases have come at once being invited into that event. $120k for going round +24 in 3 rounds. I hope they didn't pay him a signing fee as well...

It does feel as if the longer the DP Tour hold off, the more likely it seems they'll join up with LIV.

It's looking increasingly bleak for the PGA Tour now. Support for LIV from your ordinary Yank punter seems a lot higher than anyone thought it would be. The PGA are going to have to pull something big out of the bag, a World Tour run alongside the European and Asian Tours maybe.

Lovely minute of telly there. Rory battering f**k out the bunker after a poor effort immediately followed by a few swear words from Rahm after he missed a putt. 
Coltart: "we don't see that from Rory very often". Apart from a few club tosses etc over the years.....