Golfers Thread

Gaz

1 hour ago, IrishBhoy said:

My work had an outing on the Monifeith medal course a few years back and one of the guys in the 4ball had been something crazy like +3 as a junior, although he was in his 30s at this point but still playing off close to scratch. He was back spinning 7 irons to 4 feet from the pin from 160 yards down the fairway. If I remember rightly the 18th is a straight par 5, and he played driver off the tee, driver off the deck into the bunker on the front right edge of the green, then chipped in from the bunker for an eagle. Definitely the best golfer I’ve ever played alongside, the noise of the ball off the club face was a joy to listen to. 

Wasn't Paul Cunningham was it?

Playing with these guys is a total education. Kevin McAlpine is probably the best player I've played with in terms of ball striking and getting tore in about a golf course. I've had a few games with Stuart Wilson and his brother Ewan many years back when both were around +2. Not particularly long players, but ridiculously accurate in terms of hitting greens and holing those 5-12 footers. 

5 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Wasn't Paul Cunningham was it?

Playing with these guys is a total education. Kevin McAlpine is probably the best player I've played with in terms of ball striking and getting tore in about a golf course. I've had a few games with Stuart Wilson and his brother Ewan many years back when both were around +2. Not particularly long players, but ridiculously accurate in terms of hitting greens and holing those 5-12 footers. 

No it was a guy called Del from somewhere in Lanarkshire. 

Yep it’s like a different game they are playing. That round at Monifeith was maybe 7 or 8 years ago but I can still remember a good few of the shots he played but absolutely none of mine. Anytime he had an approach within 160 yards or so the ball was almost always landing with 5 feet of the hole then zipping back. 

I remember him telling me he played Royal Dornoch as a junior and was going down the 18th where a par would have tied the course record. He ended up bogeying it but still shot something like 5 under par. 

10 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

No it was a guy called Del from somewhere in Lanarkshire. 

Yep it’s like a different game they are playing. That round at Monifeith was maybe 7 or 8 years ago but I can still remember a good few of the shots he played but absolutely none of mine. Anytime he had an approach within 160 yards or so the ball was almost always landing with 5 feet of the hole then zipping back. 

I remember him telling me he played Royal Dornoch as a junior and was going down the 18th where a par would have tied the course record. He ended up bogeying it but still shot something like 5 under par. 

Looks so easy eh? 😂

1 minute ago, Day of the Lords said:

Looks so easy eh? 😂

That’s the problem with watching so much golf on TV, you watch these guys fire approach shots in to the green that stop on a sixpence, or chip shots that roll up to a couple of inches from the pin, and you arrive at your course thinking you are going to turn up and do something similar. That feeling usually disappears pretty quickly for me when I hook my tee shot into the trees and take a 7 on the first. 

30 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I didn't stay awake right to the end but since Harman finished -3 I'm guessing he got away with that incident.

Yes and watching a replay in full speed he doesn't do anything wrong or to put it another way he just does what everyone else does in that he puts his club behind the ball to check and then moves to the side and takes a couple of practice swings ,the slo mo replay makes it look a worse than it is 

Forgot to mention if it was reed I'd want a 2 shot penalty 🤣

Edited by doulikefish

14 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Seen a guy on Twitter who’s one of the course reporters for American TV, saying he reckons a 10 handicapper would shoot about 200 round this course. 

Erik Anders Lang who runs the Random Golf Club Youtube channel recently uploaded a video of himself trying to break 90 there off the back tees “under championship conditions” and he shot a 99. I think he maybe plays off 5 or 6, I’m sure he mentions his exact handicap in the video…

No doubt it will be playing harder this weekend with the rough a bit longer etc.

Anyone else play today? Very tough windy conditions, had a dreadful front 9, much steadier back 9. Ended up with a nett 79, but got a wee bonus by rolling in a good length putt on the par 3 17th for a 2 for a bit of sweep money.

7 minutes ago, Ervin H Burrell said:

Not played for 3 weeks due to a shoulder injury. Playing with the old boy tomorrow for Father's Day.

7.30 tee off though ffs.

Doing the McMillan longest golf day tomorrow. 5.30 start for me 

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:
5 minutes ago, Ervin H Burrell said:
I think if you're offered -5 tomorrow night you'd take it atm.

It's certainly a course that will punish nerves or indecision.

Aye, it's been a classic US Open set up.