Golfers Thread

Gaz

13 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Watching JT chip from 1 bunker into another on his way to an 8 (ir was it a 9?) On the last was also heartbreaking*

*fucking brilliant 

Indeed. 
I’m loving the course. It’s absolutely playable with guys going round in 5 under but it’s laced with danger. Just as it should be. Although not generally a fan the internal OB on a few holes adds to the jeopardy. It’s a proper test even for the best.

8 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Indeed. 
I’m loving the course. It’s absolutely playable with guys going round in 5 under but it’s laced with danger. Just as it should be. Although not generally a fan the internal OB on a few holes adds to the jeopardy. It’s a proper test even for the best.

I'm getting annoyed with this "internal" OB getting mentioned all the time. It's not something that's just been added in for The Open, it's a permanent feature of the course. If the Royal Liverpool membets can put up with it then I'm sure the world's best golfers can too. Bishopbriggs also has it, if you f**k it into the practice area on 12 or 16 then it's OB, as it should be imo.

6 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

I'm getting annoyed with this "internal" OB getting mentioned all the time. It's not something that's just been added in for The Open, it's a permanent feature of the course. If the Royal Liverpool membets can put up with it then I'm sure the world's best golfers can too. Bishopbriggs also has it, if you f**k it into the practice area on 12 or 16 then it's OB, as it should be imo.

From memory I think Duff House Royal in Banff also has internal OB. 

I'm enjoying watching the play on this course more than I thought I would; the bunkers really are brutal, but I still think it's a pretty forgettable course overall - except for the 17th which has just been built (and looks like it should be on a different course altogether), and maybe the last.

PS Dame Laura and Henni are both fine as is McGinley's absence so far, although he'll probably be relentlessly droning across the weekend.

1 minute ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

The rarely seen Saddam Hussein for a pro.

I played yesterday and we were discussing on the way up the 14th how hilarious, and utterly heartening it is to see the pros have a catastrophe. Came home just in time to see that and had a wee chuckle to myself. Sometime the Universe just works as intended 😂

With regards to the commentary team, I find Doherty a bit smug, but don't mind him.  Coltart is good, but i think he gets paid by the word.  Laura Davies I like.  Think shes really knowledgeable and does that thing all good commentators do and explains things that the average punter might not realise, but doesn't talk down to you whilst shes doing it.  Same for Rich Beem, I really like him.  Radar is awesome.  I think Henni is great :ph34r:.

McGinley and Faldo are dicks. 

This course doesn't have that intangible character that the Scottish and Irish venues have, or even St George's. It clearly suffers from not having any towering sand dunes or dramatic land movement.

It's still a good venue for an Open though.

Crowd shouts starting to get a bit tiresome. Guy there shouting out "cmon viktor" as he was about to stand over the ball and yesterday i heard a shout of "mushy peas". people trying to get themselves noticed, feel it will get worse as the day goes on 

23 minutes ago, Burnside91 said:

Crowd shouts starting to get a bit tiresome. Guy there shouting out "cmon viktor" as he was about to stand over the ball and yesterday i heard a shout of "mushy peas". people trying to get themselves noticed, feel it will get worse as the day goes on 

Aye. The more alcohol consumed means more arse holes shouting shite. They should be instantly ejected IMO

10 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I don't know what it is, but there's something about Brian Harman i find massively dislikable. 

For me it's his relentless short but straight hitting, massive putter, total lack of personality, and MEGACORP hat.  He could become one of those occasional no-mark, random American winners of the Open we have to suffer.