Golfers Thread

Gaz

11 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

That’s an incredible stupid thing to do. He knew not only he had guys playing alongside him to mark his score but an official scorer too, how the f**k he thought he’d get away with it.

I reckon he should recover a hefty ban from all pro golf 

45 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

That’s an incredible stupid thing to do. He knew not only he had guys playing alongside him to mark his score but an official scorer too, how the f**k he thought he’d get away with it.

I can only assume that desperation was part of it, he has hardly won any money of note in months, not that that is in any way an acceptable excuse. It was just sheer lunacy to think it wouldn't be spotted.

34 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

I reckon he should recover a hefty ban from all pro golf 

Vijay Singh was given a lifetime ban from the Asian Golf Circuit back in 1985 for doing exactly the same thing.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

I can only assume that desperation was part of it, he has hardly won any money of note in months, not that that is in any way an acceptable excuse. It was just sheer lunacy to think it wouldn't be spotted.

Vijay Singh was given a lifetime ban from the Asian Golf Circuit back in 1985 for doing exactly the same thing.

Many say a very famous Seth Efrikan multiple major winner and his caddie should have been banned sine die for their shananigans at 1974 Open.

19 hours ago, peasy23 said:

So it seems the Royal Liverpool members were already fed up with the 17th even before the pros got to whinge about it. Mentions of groups regularly taking 30 minutes to play it.

https://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/controversial-open-par-3-set-for-complete-overhaul/?fbclid=IwAR3BZQoKbJLw37PnydDI4AiOGYGVmwLH1XUc0oRdYxUIeoZ-PoMApnG_TRE

Fortunately we have a proper short par-3 to look forward to in next year's Open which didn't need to be specially manufactured in the 21st century to host an Open (then "blown up" afterwards):

Royal Troon Postage Stamp Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty ...

Can see why the members don't like the 17th at Hoylake. Can imagine some eye watering scores being racked up by higher handicaps in medals.

We shouldn't be shying away from making the pro's feel uncomfortable over shots in championships though.

It's hard to get a proper feel for how the 17th would look to yer average club golfer while watching it on the TV, but I think it looked great (I love an "infinity" green) and ripping it up right away may be short-sighted.

For example, TPC Sawgrass is on many a golfer's "bucket list" due specifically to how much coverage the island green at their 17th hole has generated since it was built, and social media is awash with punters' videos "taking on the challenge", so it could be a marketing dream if handled correctly.

Plus, links golf isn't really intended to be "fair" anyway...

Lost my seniors semi final on the 18th to a 4 nett 3, his tenth stroke of the day. What can you do? Answer, not a lot. Twenty strokes over the two rounds against a 24 handicapper playing like a 14 or 15 guy. I tried, but now I need two Aspirins and a lie down in a darkened room. My heid’ hurts.

21 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Lost my seniors semi final on the 18th to a 4 nett 3, his tenth stroke of the day. What can you do? Answer, not a lot. Twenty strokes over the two rounds against a 24 handicapper playing like a 14 or 15 guy. I tried, but now I need two Aspirins and a lie down in a darkened room. My heid’ hurts.

Unlucky mate. It’s a nightmare giving someone so many strokes. You pretty much have to play to your handicap to even stand a chance. Nothing more frustrating when you’re giving them a shot on a par 3 and they stick their tee shot on the green. That’s them there in zero

13 hours ago, peasy23 said:

I've read from guys at lower fringes of the tours how difficult it is particularly with travel costs but that is idiocy.

17 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Unlucky mate. It’s a nightmare giving someone so many strokes. You pretty much have to play to your handicap to even stand a chance. Nothing more frustrating when you’re giving them a shot on a par 3 and they stick their tee shot on the green. That’s them there in zero

After my quarter final, the guy I beat said the other three semi finalists were high handicap guys who would be a nightmare to beat. He was right. I am not saying the only thing missing today was the bloke’s mask & musket from his day job as a highway robber…. Just played like a 14 or 15 guy. As did I. I needed to play like the 12 guy I supposedly am. For all 18. Couldn’t manage it, but not through lack of trying. No sour grapes, just couldn’t handle giving ten strokes. A nice guy, good luck to him in the final.

The kunt. 😜

Edited by pozbaird

11 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I played a match last year where I was giving 20 shots. I got a par on the stroke index one hole and lost it to a bogey (net birdie) and also birdied the stroke index two hole for a half. 
I lost on the 18th. He was a really good guy but it was a tough one to take 😂

8 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I played a match last year where I was giving 20 shots. I got a par on the stroke index one hole and lost it to a bogey (net birdie) and also birdied the stroke index two hole for a half. 
I lost on the 18th. He was a really good guy but it was a tough one to take 😂

Aye, but you supremely talented scratch golfers who are a baw’ hair away from turning pro should be able to handle those 24 handicapper bandits with a handicap certificate bought doon’ the Barras’ great guys playing great golf who deserve to win all the club handicap matchplay tournaments. 😃

Edited by pozbaird

The problem is that scratch level golfers are just so incredibly consistent that they will always shoot relatively close to par, whereas anyone from probably 12/13 upwards could easily shoot 80, but could also shoot 100 on any given day as the consistency isn’t there. You don’t tend to get teen level handicappers who just consistently shoot 85, they’ll have some great rounds and some stinkers.

I’m a 15 and my best round is 6 over, but regularly shoot into 90s.

This might have been done to death before but isn't one of the problems that back in the day matchplay ties were 80% of the handicap difference then that got changed to full difference?  That really skewed things in favour of 18-20+ handicappers.  Pretty sure scramble team limits used to be lower too (although that's maybe not the biggest issue with winning scramble scores!)

1 hour ago, VictorOnopko said:

This might have been done to death before but isn't one of the problems that back in the day matchplay ties were 80% of the handicap difference then that got changed to full difference?  That really skewed things in favour of 18-20+ handicappers.  Pretty sure scramble team limits used to be lower too (although that's maybe not the biggest issue with winning scramble scores!)

The changes to the handicapping system (both the move to automatic 0.1 increases outside buffer zone and the implementation of WHS) were in part designed to make handicaps more realistic and do away with the need for adjustments for singles matchplay competitions (the first for local competition, and the WHS to eradicate degrees of difficulty between courses).

I'd also suggest that, while the odd game may be skewed to those with higher handicaps, over the piece lower handicaps still come out of it pretty well - I'd reckon that the majority of singles matchplay comps are mainly won by those in the 5-12 handicap bracket as there's a level of consistency there and scratch golfers prefer to play off bare feet and don't enter matchplay comps with stroke allowances as much as the rest of us (possibly due to things like scratch leagues, etc, taking up their non-Medal time).

It's not a perfect system, but if I play (approximately) to my handicap and lose, then fair f*cks and good luck to my opponent in the next round.

1 hour ago, funky_nomad said:

The changes to the handicapping system (both the move to automatic 0.1 increases outside buffer zone and the implementation of WHS) were in part designed to make handicaps more realistic and do away with the need for adjustments for singles matchplay competitions (the first for local competition, and the WHS to eradicate degrees of difficulty between courses).

I'd also suggest that, while the odd game may be skewed to those with higher handicaps, over the piece lower handicaps still come out of it pretty well - I'd reckon that the majority of singles matchplay comps are mainly won by those in the 5-12 handicap bracket as there's a level of consistency there and scratch golfers prefer to play off bare feet and don't enter matchplay comps with stroke allowances as much as the rest of us (possibly due to things like scratch leagues, etc, taking up their non-Medal time).

It's not a perfect system, but if I play (approximately) to my handicap and lose, then fair f*cks and good luck to my opponent in the next round.

Sticking my head above the parapet here, but my view is that if you are a 5-12, maybe 5-14 guy, that’s generally how you play. I haven’t encountered, in all my years playing golf, many 5-14 guys who regularly play either like Rory McIlroy, or like a 24 handicap duffer. Over the piece, their handicap is a true reflection of their golfing ability. I have however, encountered many, many 22-24 guys who, how shall we put it, are never in a fcuking month of Sundays a 24 handicapper. Manipulate the cards they enter for strokeplay comps’ to maintain a high handicap. They then get the full monty in club matchplay comps’, club member & guest comps’, and club open comps’ - the ones with good prizes, and many times are untouchable in them.

There. I’ve said it, but I believe it to be true for a lot of 24 guys I’ve encountered since I first picked up a club in 1973. Not every high handicapper, obviously. Met a lot of guys who started off high, wanted to get lower, and did. It’s the shifty kunts I don’t like.

I was getting six/seven strokes in both my rounds of the handicap matchplay so far this year and won both of them 5&4 - though that was entirely down to my opponents both having an absolute nightmare and me playing more or less to my handicap.

I think there is an element that does favour the higher handicapper though - for me especially, I play off 19 now but you'll generally find my cards have maybe six pars and a birdie on them - then three or four holes that have been a total disaster. So I'm racking up my 19 or 20 over par in the space of nine holes. Take that into a matchplay and there's a fair chance against a lower handicapper I'm going to win most of the holes I make par/birdie on, and probably a fair few I'm stroking on as well.

Inevitably I'll have a disaster round in the next round, however. I guess that's how it is always likely to pan out. 

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Sticking my head above the parapet here, but my view is that if you are a 5-12, maybe 5-14 guy, that’s generally how you play. I haven’t encountered, in all my years playing golf, many 5-14 guys who regularly play either like Rory McIlroy, or like a 24 handicap duffer. Over the piece, their handicap is a true reflection of their golfing ability. I have however, encountered many, many 22-24 guys who, how shall we put it, are never in a fcuking month of Sundays a 24 handicapper. Manipulate the cards they enter for strokeplay comps’ to maintain a high handicap. They then get the full monty in club matchplay comps’, club member & guest comps’, and club open comps’ - the ones with good prizes, and many times are untouchable in them.

There. I’ve said it, but I believe it to be true for a lot of 24 guys I’ve encountered since I first picked up a club in 1973. Not every high handicapper, obviously. Met a lot of guys who started off high, wanted to get lower, and did. It’s the shifty kunts I don’t like.

That attitude from people absolutely baffles me but I have seen it. In our open last year there was a guy claiming to play off 40 who shot something like 94, net 54. Get to f**k with that nonsense. My biggest achievement in golf to date is getting my handicap down below 20. I'd personally see getting it down to 15 or so as a much bigger achievement than winning a handicap comp with a totally bogus 24 handicap. Where's the achievement in that?