Golfers Thread

Gaz

5 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I've only had Quail Hollow on for the last 4 holes but Schauffele is producing one of the worst putting runs I can recall seeing. 

It's as if Scheffler has somehow managed to transfer his shite putting on to him, he's been woefully short several times.

It was our Open at Bishopbriggs today, I played largely shite but did can a 30 footer for a 2 on the par 3 14th to get some sweep money.

1 minute ago, peasy23 said:

McIlroy is having a day tbf.

Yeah this little burst is McIlroy at his best. 

The down side is that the Sky hype machine will be in absolute overdrive ahead of the PGA this week. 

8 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Yeah this little burst is McIlroy at his best. 

The down side is that the Sky hype machine will be in absolute overdrive ahead of the PGA this week. 

absolutely dreading hearing Mcginley bum him up all week, more than he already does

9 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Finished with a birdie but a 1 over round of 72 sees him finish in a tie for 13th on 13 under, 9 behind the winner Chris Gotterup. Still a decent week but promised a lot more.

He is 20 FedEx points outside of the Aon swing 5 to get into the next signature event so next up the Canadian open in that little mini series the pga doesn't count ( unless he wins it obviously) 

Not to go all McGinley but that was superb by Rory last night 

Played in a better-ball competition on Saturday, and did actually receive a (small) adjustment to my WHS due to meeting the rather convoluted criteria for WHS to kick in (ie the team scored 42 points/nett 6-under, I registered a score in at least 9 holes, and I would have scored at least 36 points on my own ball).

While I get the principle of this change at least meaning there's an acknowledgement that some folk play mainly doubles off bandit handicaps and this may go a little way to addressing matters (plus I'm glad that my best round of the season so far was at least recognised in some way despite being nowhere near the prizes), the negative side is that play was noticeably slower as everyone was putting out even when their partner was in the hole with a counting score.

Alastair Docherty- playing on an sponsors invite due to his links with Barstool sports finishing T2 at the Myrtle Beach classic. A very emotional interview after shows how much even these shadow events can mean to touring pros trying to make it in the game. I'm sure he will be on the Barstool Foreplay podcast this week. Will be a good listen. 

9 hours ago, bobbydazzler said:

absolutely dreading hearing Mcginley bum him up all week, more than he already does

His double bogey on the last shows he's lost it again. Opening round of 76 incoming on Thursday...

9 hours ago, bobbydazzler said:

The upside of that is that it's quite funny listening to an increasingly desperate McGinley coming out with things like "he's still in this, he just needs to birdie every single hole in his final round" later in the week.

I'm not at all convinced that Rory has another major in him but Valhalla being a place he likes and has won at before, coming off a win, and Scheffler possibly distracted by new fatherhood, this week may be one of the best chances he will get. 

I see they're allowing range-finders during play this week to "speed up the pace of play".

I'm not sure that a caddy taking 8 or 9 goes to confirm that the laser picks up the flag rather than some tree 45 yards in the background is going to have the desired effect, but have at it...

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, funky_nomad said:

I see they're allowing range-finders during play this week to "speed up the pace of play".

I'm not sure that a caddy taking 8 or 9 goes to confirm that the laser picks up the flag rather than some tree 45 yards in the background is going to have the desired effect, but have at it...

Been doing that for a couple of years at the pga 

Maybe this why Rory has a bounce in his step again Tmz is normally rubbish though 

https://www.tmz.com/2024/05/14/rory-mcilroy-files-for-divorce/?adid=social-tw

Edited by doulikefish

On 13/05/2024 at 16:44, D Angelo Barksdale said:

The Europa Conference League of golf majors.

Spieth has been fairly open about how unspectacular it is. Says they play about 5 or 6 events which could be this Championship if they changed the branding. Just what you want to hear from a PGA Tour board member 2 days before one of your major Championships. 

Rory splitting up with the Mrs. Will this make him more focussed on winning more majors? Or will he be too busy getting his hole in every city he plays in? 

17 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Spieth has been fairly open about how unspectacular it is. Says they play about 5 or 6 events which could be this Championship if they changed the branding. Just what you want to hear from a PGA Tour board member 2 days before one of your major Championships. 

Isn't it run by the PGA of America and not the PGA Tour? so probably saying this to big up the almighty PGA Tour