Golfers Thread

Gaz

The top level of the competition is comparable though. There are less of them but still a competitive competition and your golf isn't going to go massively downhill just because those outside the top 15 are not as good.

None of the European players on LIV did anything to be in contention of a pick though and America could pick the LIV players so not really a factor in the Ryder cup this year.

31 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Yanks must be praying Spieth chips in from everywhere tomorrow. Not tremendous reading for Bob, especially with the putter. 

Rahm - jesus christ 

A few years back, our next-door neighbour partnered Rahm in a pro-am. He was totally awe struck by how the guy played and made it sound as though he had played a round of golf with God. Looks as if you have got his status about right.

53 minutes ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

A few years back, our next-door neighbour partnered Rahm in a pro-am. He was totally awe struck by how the guy played and made it sound as though he had played a round of golf with God. Looks as if you have got his status about right.

God wishes he was Rahm 

2 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I think it's bigger than that, I think we're seeing the contrasting impacts that LIV has had on both teams. I think it's done the European Team a favour by hurrying up the removal of deadwood from the team like Poulter and Westwood, and arguably Casey and Garcia. If they were all still playing on the PGA Tour I think it's a near certainty that some of them would have been picked, almost regardless of form. Them going has cleared the way for some fresh blood which was needed. LIV also seems to have brought the European Team together, largely due to Rahm and McIlroy staying.

On the other hand, USA have lost guys who were still world class players like Johnson and Dechambeau - who only dropped half a point between them 2 years ago. Koepka has done well in a couple of majors this year but it's hard not to assume that playing LIV will mean he's a bit undercooked compared to what he'd be if he was still on the PGA. LIV also seems to have caused much more aggro between the Americans due to some of the top guys leaving.

It's only Day 1 so could be jumping the gun a bit, but I think the swing from 2 years runs deeper than just recent form.

There is a lot in that that's probably correct.

Koepka by his own comments was totally surprised by his turn in form, he thought his career winning 72 hole tournaments was pretty much done and went for the money.  Looks like the reduced shifts have been beneficial to him.

DJ though, look at his majors stats this year, that's not undercooked rather than missing key ingredients.