Golfers Thread

Gaz

Missed all of this while out on the course today but was keeping an eye on the live scores pretty much between every hole. As always seems to happen, they had an hour or so where things looked bleak but they had to win all of the last 6 or 7 matches which would be pretty much unheard of. Getting the better of those first half dozen matches was huge. 

Brilliant to see Bob getting his win also, 2.5 points from 3 is an excellent return for a rookie not on the top of his game. 

Off to catch up on the recording now. 

Player point totals

Team Europe
4: Rory McIlroy
3½: Tyrrell Hatton, Viktor Hovland
3: Tommy Fleetwood, Jon Rahm
2½: Robert MacIntyre
2: Ludvig Aberg
1½: Shane Lowry, Justin Rose
1: Matt Fitzpatrick, Sepp Straka
½: Nicolai Hojgaard

Team USA
3½: Max Homa
2: Patrick Cantlay, Brian Harman
1½: Wyndham Clark, Brooks Koepka, Justin Thomas
1: Sam Burns, Collin Morikawa, Xander Schauffele, Scottie Scheffler, Jordan Spieth
0: Rickie Fowler

1 minute ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Player point totals

Team Europe

Team USA
1: Sam Burns, Collin Morikawa, Xander Schauffele, Scottie Scheffler, Jordan Spieth

I said after day 1 it's important that everybody contributed in getting even 1/2 a point as I always remember Stevie G,s interview after Gleneagles who was happy to win but was gutted not to have contributed to the points tally ( even though he only played the singles ) 

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Indeed. McGinley’s endless babbling very early on that it was all over and only a matter of what the winning margin would be looked very dodgy for about 90 minutes or so. I don’t think the projected score got to worse than 15- 13 (could be wrong on that) but it certainly looked iffy for a spell. 

That half point for rahm at the 18th was an absolutely massive jolt the europeans needed and instigated a momentum shift enough in our favour to toughen up the other matches and deflate the americans

The 18th seen some momentous finishes and shifts in the pattern of play over the weekend, 

9 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Player point totals

Team Europe

Team USA

Mcilroy has 14pts from a possible 24 in his ryder cup record, he's right grew into a leader for europe in this tournament, 

Had to make do with watching this on my phone and text updates, nervy as hell, delighted for Bob who was probably after a nervy start, the best of all the rookies in the European team. 

Dunno if sky get the pictures from a different company but their coverage was awful, far too many shots missed for adverts or interviews or the fucking nicklaus jacklin award! 

Anyway get it up ye lacava! 

15 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

That half point for rahm at the 18th was an absolutely massive jolt the europeans needed and instigated a momentum shift enough in our favour to toughen up the other matches and deflate the americans

The 18th seen some momentous finishes and shifts in the pattern of play over the weekend, 

Feel a tiny wee bit for Scheffler that after greeting live on TV yesterday, he effectively chucked away the key point from the front of the 18th green

OK, so I know very little about golf and I know Rome wasn't built in a day, but having seen the drone images of that course, I think the Italian golf authorities should up their game. Build a decent course out in the countryside , with some space. That one looks like a council course that has been surrounded by industry and commerce. And cabbage patches.

eta, apart from the manicuring of fairways and greens, of course. 

Edited by cyderspaceman

1 minute ago, cyderspaceman said:

OK, so I know very little about golf and I know Rome wasn't built in a day, but having seen the drone images of that course, I think the Italian golf authorities should up their game. Build a decent course out in the countryside , with some space. That one looks like a council course that has been surrounded by industry and commerce. And cabbage patches.

It was built specifically for the Ryder Cup and to host large crowds.

13 minutes ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

Donald ran rings round Johnson. Cemented his legacy as an all time Ryder Cup great, 5/5 as player and captain. Deserves the opportunity to reach immortality at Bethpage.

I suspect Bethpage 2025 will make all previous RC's, including Kiawah Island, look pretty tame by comparison. The Yanks will be hurting like hell and their desire for a win will be massive. We all know how raucous New York sports fans can be and the pressure on Europe will also be massive.

Given that Luke Donald was parachuted in very late after Stenson was fired and has done a magnificent job, I don't think he'll want to risk spoiling his perfect RC record by taking on the 2025 captaincy, even if offered................................but my usual disclaimer applies...."WTF do I know"

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

Just now, Ziggy Sobotka said:

It was built specifically for the Ryder Cup and to host large crowds.

Doesnt the home team get to decide the "state" of the course as well if you get me? Like the size of fairways, length of the rough etc

Im sure it was always said that when its in america, the courses always have massive large fairways and the rough is barely longer than the fairway because the yanks are big hitters but not as on the mark with them

So europe take advantage of that when its their turn by narrowing the fairways and lengthening the rough and green edges

6 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

I thought it was an absolutely fantastic Ryder Cup venue.

8 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Feel a tiny wee bit for Scheffler that after greeting live on TV yesterday, he effectively chucked away the key point from the front of the 18th green

Aye defo a sore yin, justin rose will feel the complete opposite, that putt on day one to keep red off the board was fucking huge, a lot of tiny twists and turns this weekend but that was a big big one that set the tone for day 2 and then into the sunday singles

4 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Doesnt the home team get to decide the "state" of the course as well if you get me? Like the size of fairways, length of the rough etc

Im sure it was always said that when its in america, the courses always have massive large fairways and the rough is barely longer than the fairway because the yanks are big hitters but not as on the mark with them

So europe take advantage of that when its their turn by narrowing the fairways and lengthening the rough and green edges

It's been flipped Europes bombers are the longer hitters nowadays say the stats 

The Yanks are better in the approach shots under 180 yards and it swings back to the euros after 180 ...so it will par 4s around the 400 ish mark 

Edited by doulikefish

Just now, doulikefish said:

It's been flipped Europes bombers are the longer hitters nowadays say the stats 

Really? Hell didnt even look it during this weekend, seen quite a few during the first two days where the yanks outdrove the Europeans no bother

Ah well, guess the future course designs will ve interesting 

Just now, 54_and_counting said:

Yes, although it's not as big a factor as stated as most modern players are pretty similar these days. Le Golf National in 2018 was a brutal 'home' set up.

Donald and Dodo Molinari reckoned that Europe had an edge this time round in driving accuracy and accuracy from 180-220 yards, so this course was set up accordingly. The Americans usually set up for forgiveness off the tee, lots of wedges and quick but flattish greens.