Golfers Thread

Gaz

3 hours ago, funky_nomad said:

Ooft, Nick Dunlap! 😳

Stunning round of 60. Back on the same course tomorrow too.

The cut was 13 under in the end, just as an example Justin Suh hit 71-66-67 and missed out by 1 having only hit 3 bogeys in 54 holes.

I’ve always been more of a DP world tour man due to the time it’s broadcast but with Bob being involved I’ve given the last two PGA events a lot more interest. I must admit, they have been absolutely pish so far, especially the one this weekend. The lesser events on the PGA Tour just feel extremely flat and boring and whilst the lesser DP events might not have the better players it’s a far more enjoyable watch IMHO. 

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I’ve always been more of a DP world tour man due to the time it’s broadcast but with Bob being involved I’ve given the last two PGA events a lot more interest. I must admit, they have been absolutely pish so far, especially the one this weekend. The lesser events on the PGA Tour just feel extremely flat and boring and whilst the lesser DP events might not have the better players it’s a far more enjoyable watch IMHO. 

It's wild an event with the world no 1 in it gets so piss poor coverage but I tend to agree with you ...3 courses is too much ..they need to do similar to the dunhill put the big boys on the same course make that main coverage and just go to the other 2 courses when there's a stunning shot ,the pga coverage jumps around too much 

Could have done with Rory making a mess of the 17th there as on ew with Meronk 😎

Edited by doulikefish

9 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

It's wild an event with the world no 1 in it gets so piss poor coverage but I tend to agree with you ...3 courses is too much ..they need to do similar to the dunhill put the big boys on the same course make that main coverage and just go to the other 2 courses when there's a stunning shot ,the pga coverage jumps around too much 

Could have done with Rory making a mess of the 17th there as on ew with Meronk 😎

I just feel the DP doesn’t really get the credit it deserves. The crowds come across as better, the courses look better and it just seems a wee bit more competitive (but that could just be down to the shitey American coverage). Obviously when you have a PGA Tour event with all the big boys locking horns on a good course it’s hard to beat but these first two events have done absolutely nothing for me! 

Maybe I’m just a bit biased because I’m used to watching the DP more and tend to know more of the lesser known players. 

11 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I just feel the DP doesn’t really get the credit it deserves. The crowds come across as better, the courses look better and it just seems a wee bit more competitive (but that could just be down to the shitey American coverage). Obviously when you have a PGA Tour event with all the big boys locking horns on a good course it’s hard to beat but these first two events have done absolutely nothing for me! 

Maybe I’m just a bit biased because I’m used to watching the DP more and tend to know more of the lesser known players. 

I think a lot of the PGA tour courses are just so derivative, country club looking water left on 18 type courses which is boring, but it becomes interesting when they play the really good courses 10/12 times a year like Pebble Beach, Augusta, Pinehurst et al, but yer average low ball tournament just puts you to sleep. At least on the European tour you’re at a different country every couple of weeks, different types of courses and the wee spell before the Open playing some great venues. 

13 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Nick Dunlap holds on to win the Amex by 1 shot, he'll jump over 4000 places on the OWGR to an estimated 68th.

And if he didn't already have sponsors lined up to sign him following his amateur success, they'll be queuing round the block now.

Wonder how long it'll be before he turns pro? His win will get him a couple of exemptions that he already had with his US Amateur win (including the Masters), but it might be kinda nice to see someone of his obvious talent hang back a bit before joining the Pro ranks.

3 hours ago, funky_nomad said:

And if he didn't already have sponsors lined up to sign him following his amateur success, they'll be queuing round the block now.

Wonder how long it'll be before he turns pro? His win will get him a couple of exemptions that he already had with his US Amateur win (including the Masters), but it might be kinda nice to see someone of his obvious talent hang back a bit before joining the Pro ranks.

It actually has a big impact on his Masters exemption. Any eligible amateur who turns pro before the Masters forfeits their invitation, but as he will now be exempt as a PGA Tour Winner between the 2023 and 2024 Masters, he should be able to turn pro and still rock up to Magnolia Lane, although he wouldn't be eligible to stay in the Crow's Nest, where the amateurs are usually housed.

2 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

It actually has a big impact on his Masters exemption. Any eligible amateur who turns pro before the Masters forfeits their invitation, but as he will now be exempt as a PGA Tour Winner between the 2023 and 2024 Masters, he should be able to turn pro and still rock up to Magnolia Lane, although he wouldn't be eligible to stay in the Crow's Nest, where the amateurs are usually housed.

If i was him id stay amateur until after the open and go pro then, but i suppose if hes hitting that form he runs the risk of missing a lot of prize money! 

2 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

If i was him id stay amateur until after the open and go pro then, but i suppose if hes hitting that form he runs the risk of missing a lot of prize money! 

Indeed, he missed out on over a million dollars this past weekend. Having seen how badly some guys can lose form out of nowhere I’d be turning pro ASAP and getting that bank account topped up.

39 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Indeed, he missed out on over a million dollars this past weekend. Having seen how badly some guys can lose form out of nowhere I’d be turning pro ASAP and getting that bank account topped up.

He’s certainly good enough! Id be turning pro and getting the tour card for 2 years. 

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Christian Bezuidenhout certainly wasn't complaining as his solo second meant he picked up the winners cheque.

The 3 players tied for 3rd pocketed the equivalent prize money for T2nd and so on down the field. The 500 FedEx points for the winner don't get reallocated though.

4 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

He loses his Open qualification status, but would still be in the Masters and USPGA as a PGA Tour winner, and retains his US Open place as the amateur champ even if he turns pro by then.

Screenshot_20240122_220645_PGA TOUR.jpg