Golfers Thread

Gaz

Not suggesting he was more fibbing just curious as to why he feels he needs to apologise. Perhaps too many advisors living in a pr / celebrity bubble? ? If you are unforseeably ill due to medication you shouldn't have to apologise.

On 2017-4-23 at 20:11, Distant Doonhamer said:

Much better today. 81-8 for a net 73. CSS looking like 73 so no gain but no damage either.

Birdied 9 to be out in 42 then played a very decent back 9 of 39 (3 over).

The above round is one of a handful of decent rounds of late. 

My golf is utter shite at the moment and was fecking awful today. Net 81 FFS :(

That is all.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Looking for a bit of advice please folks. I've recently started playing using a relatives (fairly old) TM clubs. Now I'm looking to get myself a membership and playing more regularly I'm looking to get my own clubs. I've looked at buying individual used clubs from the likes of GolfBidder etc which seems as though I can get high quality clubs for a decent enough price.

I'm wondering if I'm best going down this route potentially spending a decent amount on good 'older' clubs or should I just get a cheap package set to use as a beginner and upgrade as I go along? This set seems decent and there was a review on it this morning which was positive. If it matters - I have a nice Callaway bag and an odyssey white hot putter in the house which can be used also.

6 hours ago, Central said:

Looking for a bit of advice please folks. I've recently started playing using a relatives (fairly old) TM clubs. Now I'm looking to get myself a membership and playing more regularly I'm looking to get my own clubs. I've looked at buying individual used clubs from the likes of GolfBidder etc which seems as though I can get high quality clubs for a decent enough price.

I'm wondering if I'm best going down this route potentially spending a decent amount on good 'older' clubs or should I just get a cheap package set to use as a beginner and upgrade as I go along? This set seems decent and there was a review on it this morning which was positive. If it matters - I have a nice Callaway bag and an odyssey white hot putter in the house which can be used also.

Can vouch for GolfBidder personally, I bought a set of Ping G10 irons from them about October. Playing a few weeks ago and one of the shafts broke, returned the full set and as they couldn't find a suitable replacement shaft they refunded me in full. I'd had 7 months and probably 40ish rounds out of them. Took the cash and bought these.

Those Wilson clubs look like they would do the job just fine, nice and neutral and I'm sure they'll be forgiving enough. Only other argument for the second hand argument is something second hand from a big brand like Ping, Callaway, TM etc will hold their value better and if you get into it and fancy a change or find something else might be better suited, you'll probably get more of your investment back for them. 

On another note, I played the Torrance course at the Fairmont in St Andrews today, weather was absolutely grim, but thought it was a cracking course and enjoyed it despite getting a soaking. 

Bit of an bizarre incident, I've never really encountered the snootiness associated with golf for a long time but met a couple of bunnets today. Caught up with four folk in front who were playing pretty slowly at the par 4 7th, waved me through after one of them spent a while looking for a ball, played through them quickly, putting out before the four of them, thanked them and got out their road. Came up short on the next hole which is a par 3th and was just pitching the ball onto the green and when they came up to the tee and one of them started whistling and gesturing at me to hurry up, I was by no means playing slowly. Continued shouting and waving about like a fucking loony when I was putting, made sure to take the flag out and take my time sizing up the putt much to this ghoul's bemusement. 

Nobody in front of them and nobody behind me, not sure what their problem was to be honest. Was looking forward to discussing it with them at the end of the round, but the weather got the better of them and they chucked it after the 9th hole, fannies.

Not suggesting he was more fibbing just curious as to why he feels he needs to apologise. Perhaps too many advisors living in a pr / celebrity bubble? ? If you are unforseeably ill due to medication you shouldn't have to apologise.

Given Woods' injury woes over the years there must be a reasonable likelihood that he is addicted to painkillers now.

Wee article on the seven holes in one in medal play at the Club this season thus far. It's now 8 as somebody got another one the day the day the journalist attended the Club.

https://www.inverclydenow.com/sport/other/golf-members-celebrate-seven-holes-in-one-at-greenock

Makes the Hole in One prizes at the Club's Open competition seem even more appealing! 

https://brsgolf.com/greenockbigcourse/opens_home.php for anyone interested in playing.

Greenock Open Flyer2.JPG

I know DL3 on here is a busy man but I'm hoping he can find the time to post his usual US Open thread. Nice to see McIlroy making the point that on most of the holes you have a 60 yard gap between the very heavy rough, so players should be able to hit that no problem.

I know DL3 on here is a busy man but I'm hoping he can find the time to post his usual US Open thread. Nice to see McIlroy making the point that on most of the holes you have a 60 yard gap between the very heavy rough, so players should be able to hit that no problem.

Kevin Na was losing his shit on instagram. Scared he embarrasses himself with another 12 obviously

looking for advice too. Only been playing 2 years now. Got a cracking set of John Letters clubs can't fault them. My only problem is they came with a square headed driver which i just don't like. Used my dads driver but it's time I got my own. Not looking to spend £300 on a club but don't mind spending a bit as long as the quality is good. Can anyone help ?

cheers

1 minute ago, diamond_for_life said:

looking for advice too. Only been playing 2 years now. Got a cracking set of John Letters clubs can't fault them. My only problem is they came with a square headed driver which i just don't like. Used my dads driver but it's time I got my own. Not looking to spend £300 on a club but don't mind spending a bit as long as the quality is good. Can anyone help ?

cheers

Why not go to a pro shop and try out some 2nd hand ones, I found a few decent drivers at good prices that way.