Golfers Thread

Gaz

Just now, doulikefish said:

Hideki made hard work of that ....good week for Bob also ...$650k and moves up to 12 th in the FedEx and East lake all but guaranteed and the riches that brings just for being there 

They said he is guaranteed to be at East Lake.

This is the top points distribution for next week. Bob is currently just over 500 points clear of 30th, and although a few players can leapfrog him if he doesn't score many, he can't drop out the top 30. Fleetwood is in 31st at the moment, just 3 points adrift.

Screenshot_20240819_091137_Chrome.jpg

With the tentative way Bob started on the PGA tour this season, I'd have laughed at anyone suggesting he would end the year with two big wins, 15th in the world, and a guaranteed place in the tour finale with a tournament still to go.  He also looked pretty relaxed in the small amount of coverage he got at the weekend which was good to see.

All he needs now is some new clobber; those Nike shirts are absolutely horrendous.

Handicap down to 10.1. So close to being under 10 for the first time. 9.4 is the goal so I can officially call myself a single digit handicapper. I am protecting next though unfortunately 

2 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

With the tentative way Bob started on the PGA tour this season, I'd have laughed at anyone suggesting he would end the year with two big wins, 15th in the world, and a guaranteed place in the tour finale with a tournament still to go.  He also looked pretty relaxed in the small amount of coverage he got at the weekend which was good to see.

All he needs now is some new clobber; those Nike shirts are absolutely horrendous.

Looked like he had a good day on Sunday playing with Billy Horschel. 

Previously posted about how i enjoyed my course having an ownership rather than the politics of golf club committees etc which had previously put me off, but unfortunately catering to the tourism and corporate day money has meant there has been something like 21 days this summer my course has been booked out and unavailable for members. 
Im at the stage where my golfs pretty good and I want to play more, but being held back at the best time of year to play. Im now looking for a club in and around Renfrewshire, but my local course is £1200 a year with £500 joining fee, i am looking at either Kilmacolm, Gleddoch, Renfrew, Ranfurly (either course) but wondered if any p&b folks had any suggestions?

8 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Previously posted about how i enjoyed my course having an ownership rather than the politics of golf club committees etc which had previously put me off, but unfortunately catering to the tourism and corporate day money has meant there has been something like 21 days this summer my course has been booked out and unavailable for members. 
Im at the stage where my golfs pretty good and I want to play more, but being held back at the best time of year to play. Im now looking for a club in and around Renfrewshire, but my local course is £1200 a year with £500 joining fee, i am looking at either Kilmacolm, Gleddoch, Renfrew, Ranfurly (either course) but wondered if any p&b folks had any suggestions?

I enjoyed Gleddoch when I played it but I think it can get very wet.  Kilmacolm is a great course always very well kept.  I also liked Old Ranfurly a lot - greens very very slopey and tricky. Some people dislike the crossing over of fairways near the end.  Not played Ranfurly Castle, but like Kilmacolm it has a great rep. If you play the bulk of your golf midweek/off-peak and are willing to go a bit further (across the bridge) then the Carrick has a superb points membership - I let mine lapse but it was about £400 p.a. for loads of golf and sign ons of pals at the same points rate (at least, this was the case about 3 years back). Obviously it also gets very wet but the summer conditioning is usually pretty good and it's a very challenging, fun course.

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

Handicap down to 10.1. So close to being under 10 for the first time. 9.4 is the goal so I can officially call myself a single digit handicapper. I am protecting next though unfortunately 

Well done on the handicap reduction.....about to burst your bubble though.  Under the new handicap system I dont really consider that I am a single figure golfer until I am actually getting 9 or less shots at a course.  I am currently 9.3 but getting 10 shots off the whites at my course (go up a few more decimal places and its 11) I think I need to get down below 8.9 before I am playing off 9 (playing handicap as opposed to course handicap)

A funny year...started at 9.3 got down to 7.4 but back at 9.3 and playing poorly.  Got 7 "free rounds" coming up but well know that some of them might be counting before too long.

6 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Well done on the handicap reduction.....about to burst your bubble though.  Under the new handicap system I dont really consider that I am a single figure golfer until I am actually getting 9 or less shots at a course.  I am currently 9.3 but getting 10 shots off the whites at my course (go up a few more decimal places and its 11) I think I need to get down below 8.9 before I am playing off 9 (playing handicap as opposed to course handicap)

A funny year...started at 9.3 got down to 7.4 but back at 9.3 and playing poorly.  Got 7 "free rounds" coming up but well know that some of them might be counting before too long.

My lowest was 9.1 and have since drifted back up a couple of shots.  When I was off 9, I remember getting 8 shots on a few easier courses; sometimes I got 10 or even 11 on tough ones.  But if your playing handicap is 9 then IMO you are most definitely off single figures regardless of local adjustments.

4 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

I enjoyed Gleddoch when I played it but I think it can get very wet.  Kilmacolm is a great course always very well kept.  I also liked Old Ranfurly a lot - greens very very slopey and tricky. Some people dislike the crossing over of fairways near the end.  Not played Ranfurly Castle, but like Kilmacolm it has a great rep. If you play the bulk of your golf midweek/off-peak and are willing to go a bit further (across the bridge) then the Carrick has a superb points membership - I let mine lapse but it was about £400 p.a. for loads of golf and sign ons of pals at the same points rate (at least, this was the case about 3 years back). Obviously it also gets very wet but the summer conditioning is usually pretty good and it's a very challenging, fun course.

Its the carrick im at, but over the last 2 months (im a mon-fri member) the course has been booked out 20 days by corporate bookings meaning ive hardly been able to play this summer. There are 2 days i can play next week and its booked both of them. I really love the course at the Carrick but its getting ridiculous and tbh the upkeep of the course is very poor. They also seem to be losing all of their golf staff, everyone quitting. Gleddoch is just along the road from me, i am tempted but i like to be able to play all year round. Kilmacolm has a great reputation, but ive never played it. I was tempted by Marr hall but i think its going to be the same as the Carrick. Erskine gc has a £500 joining fee on top of a £1200 annual due, which you can only pay over 9 months for some reason so im very put off by them, i played Ralston over the summer and enjoyed it but ive heard it gets really wet in the winter?

25 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Its the carrick im at, but over the last 2 months (im a mon-fri member) the course has been booked out 20 days by corporate bookings meaning ive hardly been able to play this summer. There are 2 days i can play next week and its booked both of them. I really love the course at the Carrick but its getting ridiculous and tbh the upkeep of the course is very poor. They also seem to be losing all of their golf staff, everyone quitting. Gleddoch is just along the road from me, i am tempted but i like to be able to play all year round. Kilmacolm has a great reputation, but ive never played it. I was tempted by Marr hall but i think its going to be the same as the Carrick. Erskine gc has a £500 joining fee on top of a £1200 annual due, which you can only pay over 9 months for some reason so im very put off by them, i played Ralston over the summer and enjoyed it but ive heard it gets really wet in the winter?

Ah, fair enough!  I remember it in super condition in 2018 or 19 in the summer, when it was dried out and running like a links and the greens were great, but I also recall being back a couple of times since lockdown and it looked a bit ragged (the goose shit was always an issue on the first few greens too).  I think you are spot on that Mar Hall will be aiming to get the same sort of corporate bookings now it's back fully operating.  If I were you I'd take a look at Kilmacolm; guessing it may be fairly pricey to join there; the two Ranfurlies are also excellent options. If I was your side of the water I'd join one of those three in a heartbeat.

Edited by VictorOnopko

15 hours ago, Groundhopping Adventures said:

Going up on Friday. Happy to be blown away just hope I don't droon as well

Here today, was nearly blown away several times, this video isn’t even close to the worst of it but the only one I took. Seen a few caps fly away including a caddy’s. Good tiring day so far, a few players being under par is incredible with the conditions. 

6 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I know it's St Andrews and I know the conditions are tough, but over 6 hours for a round of golf is ridiculous. 

The slow play rules are there. The rules officials simply must get better at enforcing them 

5 hours ago, The Golden God said:

Here today, was nearly blown away several times, this video isn’t even close to the worst of it but the only one I took. Seen a few caps fly away including a caddy’s. Good tiring day so far, a few players being under par is incredible with the conditions. 

IMG_7727.MOV 9.86 MB · 10 downloads  

You don't happen to know where the main entrance is? Loads of things online telling about Carparks next to main entrances but where they actually are is a mystery 

46 minutes ago, Groundhopping Adventures said:

You don't happen to know where the main entrance is? Loads of things online telling about Carparks next to main entrances but where they actually are is a mystery 

It's pretty well signposted when you come in to st Andrews just follow the signs 

I used the normal service bus today ( only half hour for me) but there were signs directing to the parking basically it's the same set up for the dunhill if you have ever attended that 

Edited by doulikefish