Golfers Thread

Gaz

28 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Rose's putter deserts him when he needs it most, 2 straight bogeys sees him slip 3 behind. Woodland not playing great but scrambling well.

Rose's strength is largely tee to green. It's no surprise that his putting has been poorer today than in rounds 1-3.

On 17 June 2019 at 19:56, peasy23 said:

Koepka's last 10 majors..

Tied 11th
1st
Tied 6th
Tied 13th
1st
Tied 39th
1st
Tied 2nd
1st
2nd

Incredible record!

How many more majors can he win in his career?

If he can sustain that form over a long period it will be interesting viewing.

On 16/06/2019 at 18:24, Distant Doonhamer said:
Slightly to my surprise given 2 lost balls leading to 2 triple bogies plus 2 other doubles on my card in R2 of club championship qualifier I’ve managed to get into the (handicap) knock out stages. 7th of 8 qualifiers. Had a good score in R1 but still somewhat surprised to qualify. Quarter final tie is Wednesday evening.

Won my quarter final tonight. Semi final on Friday evening ⛳

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Every golfer's nightmare - running out of balls in a competitive round!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/48711822
I've played that course a few times, and one occasion nearly finished a pack on the first tee.
Paul Lawrie also got DQ'd yesterday along with Carl Mason, a schoolboy error from 2 experienced players.

https://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/paul-lawrie-and-carl-mason-disqualified-after-ball-mix-up

15 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Every golfer's nightmare - running out of balls in a competitive round!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/48711822

I've played that course a few times, and one occasion nearly finished a pack on the first tee.

I've almost done this. I played in a county event at Monifieth Medal many years ago, it was windy as f**k and I had a fucking nightmare. I'd gone through two sleeves of Titleist Professionals by the 14th. After 3-jabbing the next with my final ball (a fairly ragged Precept EV), I lost the rag and pulled out the driver on the next and tried to absolutely leather the fucker, only to hit an ugly high carve into the shite on the right. I lost mine, but found a  yellow Pinnacle 384 during the search. As all our team scores counted I had to walk back to the tee and nurse this fucking rock around the last 4 holes. I eventually limped back in 91, only to discover one of the other guys had lost the plot and NR'd 10 minutes before me. #Seething. 

Also, didn't John Daly walk off years ago after running out of balls in a PGA tour event? Might have been the one he ran up at 18 on one hole. 

On 19/06/2019 at 21:10, Distant Doonhamer said:

Won my quarter final tonight. Semi final on Friday evening ⛳

Lost my semi-final tonight.  Played pretty well. Lost 3&2.  Out in 39 (40 is on handicap)  to be all square.

Really great match and a 3&2 defeat probably a bit harsh TBH.  Had two tap in pars on tough par 4s and lost both holes.

Disappointed to lose but pleased to play well.

Drysdale, Law, MacIntyre, Ramsay and Jamieson shot 25 under between them today after some poor scoring in the first round in Germany but unfortunately Ramsay and Jamieson still missed the cut.

McIntyre making the cut has helped him seal his place in the Open at Portrush. After today's tourney in Germany finished the first 5 players in the top 20 on the Euro order of merit not already qualified picked up a spot in the Open, McIntyre is currently 15th and that was good enough to see him in. Paul Lawrie and Russell Knox are the only other Scots currently in the Open field.

At the start of May my handicap was 23.4, after yesterday it's 20.7. Hit 89 for a nett 66 (-5) to be cut by 2 full strokes. Had lessons over the winter and they are really starting to pay off now, striking my irons really well. Not using woods at all at the moment, one of the things the pro was really keen to build was confidence, so the longest club I've been using is a 6 iron, and off the tee with a decent bounce I'm getting it out to just about 200 yards. More importantly though, about 80-90% of the time it is on the fairway. Due to holidays and the football season starting soon I won't have many more counters to play, but I would love to get under 20 before the season is done.

McIntyre making the cut has helped him seal his place in the Open at Portrush. After today's tourney in Germany finished the first 5 players in the top 20 on the Euro order of merit picked up a spot in the Open, McIntyre is currently 15th and that was good enough to see him in. Paul Lawrie and Russell Knox are the only other Scots currently in the Open field.

That’s great for MacIntyre [emoji8]

At the start of May my handicap was 23.4, after yesterday it's 20.7. Hit 89 for a nett 66 (-5) to be cut by 2 full strokes. Had lessons over the winter and they are really starting to pay off now, striking my irons really well. Not using woods at all at the moment, one of the things the pro was really keen to build was confidence, so the longest club I've been using is a 6 iron, and off the tee with a decent bounce I'm getting it out to just about 200 yards. More importantly though, about 80-90% of the time it is on the fairway. Due to holidays and the football season starting soon I won't have many more counters to play, but I would love to get under 20 before the season is done.

Brilliant stuff. If you are hitting a 6 iron 200 yards and in the fairway 8/9 times out of 10 then I’d suggest not using woods until you are single figures [emoji106]

Brilliant stuff. If you are hitting a 6 iron 200 yards and in the fairway 8/9 times out of 10 then I’d suggest not using woods until you are single figures [emoji106]
Definitely no intention of using the woods any time soon, will wait until the winter and get a few more lessons and see how we get on from there. The pro I saw's mantra was to keep it in play, and at Bishopbriggs there are only two par 4s that I will struggle to reach in 2 if I can hit a 200 yard tee shot. Birdied one of the par 5s on Saturday with 2 x 6 irons and an 8 iron on to the green then holed a 12 foot putt. Had a shocker of a round the previous Saturday though so won't be getting complacent.

Got 37 points in Wednesday sweep stableford today. Round in 79-9 for net 70, 😄

Looked like being a cut of 0.2 so back down to 9.0 from 9.2.

Worth some cash in that I had two 2s. one of which was a ridiculous chip in from an awful lie near the green 😀

Had 30 putts which is decent enough albeit I didn't hole anything more than about 5 feet.

Playing some decent golf at the moment. Long may it continue.

Decided it was time to get back into golf last night. I managed to pick up a decent set of forged irons on e-bay for £70. I bought a set of MD Superstrong irons (they were briefly a very highly-rated set back in about 2004). I had the same clubs back then and they were absolutely superb. I've been checking ebay for months for stiff-shafted versions and finally got them. I just need a couple of gap wedges, a putter and probably a hybrid 2-iron type club.

The main thing though is a driver - I'm not spending a total fortune - what should I be looking at in the used market for £50-70? I've been out of golf for so long that any suggestions would be appreciated.