Golfers Thread

Gaz

Decided it was time to get back into golf last night. I managed to pick up a decent set of forged irons on e-bay for £70. I bought a set of MD Superstrong irons (they were briefly a very highly-rated set back in about 2004). I had the same clubs back then and they were absolutely superb. I've been checking ebay for months for stiff-shafted versions and finally got them. I just need a couple of gap wedges, a putter and probably a hybrid 2-iron type club.
The main thing though is a driver - I'm not spending a total fortune - what should I be looking at in the used market for £50-70? I've been out of golf for so long that any suggestions would be appreciated. 

You can get a cobra f7 driver for £79 stiff shaft, great club and fully adjustable to what you want, I'm currently selling my cobra biocell hybrid adjustable hosel, 16.5° to 19° 2/3 iron replacement,

Read a lot these days about how easy some of the courses on the PGA Tour can be for the pros. The current tourney is the Rocket Mortgage Classic from the Detroit Golf Club. 36 hole lead looks like being -13, with 81 players currently making the cut with the line at -4.

The seniors US Open isn't much better, Steve Stricker has hit 62-64 to be -14 at halfway. Looks like 3 Scots making the cut there with Monty, Gary Orr and Paul Lawrie all in for the weekend.

49 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

The seniors US Open ........... Paul Lawrie all in for the weekend.

This makes me feel fucking old. I remember watching coverage of the old SPGA Championship at Deer Park years ago when Lawrie played as a young pro. He didn't even have a caddie. 

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

Read a lot these days about how easy some of the courses on the PGA Tour can be for the pros. The current tourney is the Rocket Mortgage Classic from the Detroit Golf Club. 36 hole lead looks like being -13, with 81 players currently making the cut with the line at -4.

The seniors US Open isn't much better, Steve Stricker has hit 62-64 to be -14 at halfway. Looks like 3 Scots making the cut there with Monty, Gary Orr and Paul Lawrie all in for the weekend.

Cut right now is -5.

It might go back to -4. Edit to add cut finalised at -5.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

It would be a real heartless b*****d who wouldn't find some joy in Nate Lashley winning his first PGA title tonight, which he looks likely to do as he is 6 shots clear with 5 to play. When he was an amateur at college his parents and his girlfriend had flown out to see him play in the NCAA regional championships, after the tourney the plane taking them home crashed and all 3 were killed. It's taken him years to get anywhere near fulfilling his potential, but after failing to qualify for this week's tourney he got in as a reserve and looks like winning, with a place in the Open and all the other exemptions that come with a win.

46 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

It would be a real heartless b*****d who wouldn't find some joy in Nate Lashley winning his first PGA title tonight, which he looks likely to do as he is 6 shots clear with 5 to play. When he was an amateur at college his parents and his girlfriend had flown out to see him play in the NCAA regional championships, after the tourney the plane taking them home crashed and all 3 were killed. It's taken him years to get anywhere near fulfilling his potential, but after failing to qualify for this week's tourney he got in as a reserve and looks like winning, with a place in the Open and all the other exemptions that come with a win.

Wins by 6 shots.

Great stuff.

Some list of exemptions too  :thumsup2

Conor Syme and Sam Locke (last year's silver medalist) have come through Open final qualifying at Fairmont St Andrews to take two of the three spots available there.

That means there are now at least five Scottish golfers teeing it up at Portrush.

3 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Conor Syme and Sam Locke (last year's silver medalist) have come through Open final qualifying at Fairmont St Andrews to take two of the three spots available there.

That means there are now at least five Scottish golfers teeing it up at Portrush.

Hopefully a chance for a few more to get in at Irish and Scottish Opens. 

Qualifying spots available to the leading 3 players (not otherwise exempt) who finish in the top 10 and ties at each event.

Would have liked a shot at the course they played, they made up a composite 18 holes between the Kittochs and Torrance courses.

Looking to start playing golf in Aberdeen. 

Any recommendations on where to start/where to avoid?

I've got nae golf pals up here so would likely be on my tod, any friendly clubs around these parts?

16 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

MacIntyre and Knox both reasonably well placed at halfway in the Irish Open. Grant Forrest and Liam Johnston also made the cut but they've got a way to go to get into contention for an open qualifying spot.

Forrest shoots 65 today to put himself in contention for an Open spot. He'll need another good round tomorrow.

Johnston shot 76 today so way out of things now.

John Daly has had his request to use a buggy at the Open knocked back, which he is not taking well. Buggies are not used at Portrush at any other time and the R&A have stated that there are so many parts of the course which would not be safe to try and access in a buggy that it just can't be done.

Forrest shoots 65 today to put himself in contention for an Open spot. He'll need another good round tomorrow.
Johnston shot 76 today so way out of things now.
Huge day ahead for him. Not just in terms of the Open but also the potential points on offer. A good finish would pretty much secure his card.
John Daly has had his request to use a buggy at the Open knocked back, which he is not taking well. Buggies are not used at Portrush at any other time and the R&A have stated that there are so many parts of the course which would not be safe to try and access in a buggy that it just can't be done.
Correct decision I think. Wasn't overly keen on the USPGA's decision.

Correct decision I think. Wasn't overly keen on the USPGA's decision.
Nope, I wasn't either. The R&A have mentioned in their statement that they see walking the course as being part of the challenge of the Open, and allowing someone to use a buggy could give them an advantage.

As some comments on Twitter have mentioned, if a player in another sport is unfit, they don't change the playing field to suit them.

3 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Daly won the PGA at Crooked Stick in 91 when he was ninth reserve after driving all night and not playing a practice round.  If he's not fit enough to be competitive, which obviously he isn't, the decent thing to do is just to withdraw and give some kid the same chance that he got which launched his career.  Like him but this is the right decision and the right thing for him to do was to withdraw in the first place.