Golfers Thread

Gaz

Another fairly abject Rory performance.
Good result for Martin Laird as he sits tied 7th with a projected FedEx ranking of 115 with top 125 keeping their card after next week's event.
Laird ended up 116th, hopefully enough to keep his card even if he gets nothing next weekend. Knox is 101st.

Rory's putter was stone cold last night, especially compared to Saturday when he was knocking everything in.

Been to the range a few times now that I've got the clubs sorted out. I'm certainly back hitting the ball reasonably well for the most part, however my old destructive huge pull shot is still there, not to mention the odd socket. Booked in for a lesson with Lee Vannet through the week. My plan for the rest of this year is to play for my handicap and work on my swing over the winter. I'm hoping to get into Cat 1 by the latter half of next season. 

RIP Gordon Brand Jnr. Two-time Ryder Cup winner. Only two years older than me. Bloody hell.
Heard him on 5 live quite a few times as part of their commentary team, came across well on radio and seemed to be a thoroughly decent bloke.

The 87 Ryder Cup team which he was part of was the first to win on American soil, with a third of the team Scots.

Laird ended up 116th, hopefully enough to keep his card even if he gets nothing next weekend. Knox is 101st.

Rory's putter was stone cold last night, especially compared to Saturday when he was knocking everything in.

Good first rounds for Laird (5 under) and Knox (3 under) in round one of Wyndham Championship on PGA tour.

I played in a high quality 4 ball match last night. I played as well as I can remember in a long time and had 4 birdies. My partner played pretty steadily too as did our opponents such that although we did win it was by one up after 18 holes. One of my birdies ( on 16th) was for a half!

Great match.

On 01/08/2019 at 18:59, Distant Doonhamer said:

Good first rounds for Laird (5 under) and Knox (3 under) in round one of Wyndham Championship on PGA tour.

Laird misses the cut after a poor 2nd round. Hopefully he's done enough to keep his card.

Knox was below the cut line at one stage but shot a 4 under 31 in his second nine to make the cut with a shot to spare.

Laird misses the cut after a poor 2nd round. Hopefully he's done enough to keep his card.
Knox was below the cut line at one stage but shot a 4 under 31 in his second nine to make the cut with a shot to spare.

They were saying on Thursday that Laird was pretty much nailed on to keep his card, hopefully they are right.

3 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Knox ended up 106th, Laird 119th. Both need a very good finish next weekend to get near the top 70 to make the following week.

Yep good to see that as you predicted Laird keeps his card, reaping the benefit of some decent recent performances.

Quite something that Knox had 4 rounds in the 60s but was "only" tied 48th this week. These guys absolutely murder a lot of these courses.

Yep good to see that as you predicted Laird keeps his card, reaping the benefit of some decent recent performances.
Quite something that Knox had 4 rounds in the 60s but was "only" tied 48th this week. These guys absolutely murder a lot of these courses.
Wide fairways, hardly any rough to speak of, and soft greens, shooting fish in a barrel for these guys. Webb Simpson was the highest player in the FedEx rankings to play this week. Certainly worked out well as he finished second which saw him finish 9th in the rankings, earning him a $550k Wyndham Rewards bonus on top of his prize money. He pushed Rahm down to 10th and bumped Justin Rose out of the bonus positions, which sees him lose out on $500k.