Golfers Thread

Gaz

2 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Koepka hangs on to top spot in the FedEx despite a poor finish, but he banked €1m today as he won the Aon Risk Reward prize.

Reed jumps up to 2nd, with Ancer jumping 59 places to 8th.

The money thrown around at this stage of the season is ridiculous. 

I worry that the US tour seems hellbent on making the FedEx cup more important than the majors.

10 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

The money thrown around at this stage of the season is ridiculous. 

I worry that the US tour seems hellbent on making the FedEx cup more important than the majors.

The players have so much money anyway that I can't see that happening.  The top guys know that greatness is defined by the Majors.  Plenty money for all of them is a huge bonus. Russell Knox is just outside the top 100 and has earned over a million dollars this season. The money is astonishing but the big events define careers.  While i've no doubt Shane Lowry would love to win the FedEx Cup this year i doubt he'd swap his Open victory for it.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

The players have so much money anyway that I can't see that happening.  The top guys know that greatness is defined by the Majors.  Plenty money for all of them is a huge bonus. Russell Knox is just outside the top 100 and has earned over a million dollars this season. The money is astonishing but the big events define careers.  While i've no doubt Shane Lowry would love to win the FedEx Cup this year i doubt he'd swap his Open victory for it.

Definitely, Martin Laird has career earnings of over 16 million dollars, I bet he would trade in quite a few of those millions for a major win.

20 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I'd genuinely love to see Koepka and DeChambeau have a "chat"

Bryson would be doing all the Guy Ritchie Sherlock Holmes calculations for how the fight will progress as Brooks just strolled up and took his head off Termintor-style.

Had my first round of golf since about 2011 tonight. 80 round Kirrie off the yellow tees (par 68). Generally hitting the ball ok, just stupid mistakes with lost balls on 1 and 9, 3 x three putts and some really shite chipping.
A good effort. If I go 8 months without playing I'm all over the place, let alone 8 years.

In other news, DeChambeau has put his name to a statement hastily put together by his PR team:

"Slow play affects the quality of the game for both players and our fans and I’ve always had the utmost respect for my playing partners, including JT and Tommy. I’m constantly trying to improve and I will do my very best to improve my pace. Golf is my passion and livelihood. It’s my responsibility to help improve the game to be more enjoyable for all. Pace of play has been an issue for golf at all levels for a long time, and I’m committed to being a part of the solution, not the problem. I want to be a good representative of the game and the PGA Tour and I'm looking forward to working with the TOUR and fellow players to find a solution to slow play."

3 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

A good effort. If I go 8 months without playing I'm all over the place, let alone 8 years.

Cheers, had a few visits to the driving range first tbh. Went out again tonight. My short game is rusty as f**k at the moment. On the plus side I got 18 holes done in 1hr 55 mins. Probably about the same time deChambeau would take for 3 holes 😂

Sorry to hear that Mount Ellen Golf Club is the latest to close, with this Sunday apparently being their final day. 

On the PGA tour, I've mentioned before how easy some of the courses are set up. There is a 69 man field in the BMW Championship at Medinah, only 6 of them are over par at the moment. Tiger has managed to drag his way round to two 71s leaving him 2 under par, but 10 shots behind current leader Hideki Matsuyama, and further away from having a chance to defend his Tour Championship win than he was at the start.. Patrick Cantlay is currently second and is the "live" Fedex Cup leader, he is obviously playing with the freedom of not having my money on him for once.

First one of three cards for handicap today. Somehow nursed it around Kirriemuir in 70 (2 over par) in a strong wind, featuring a missed 2 foot putts and bogeying the easiest hole on the back nine thanks to missing the green 10 yards left with a gap wedge [emoji23]

Playing my second card tomorrow and fully expecting to shoot about 85 or something [emoji23]

Yes a fabulous performance.
In contrast I was 11 OVER for 7 holes today [emoji38]
Been there many a time. [emoji23]

Missed his birdie putt on the last so had to settle for a 61. Four 2s on his card, including an eagle on the 16th where he holed one from the middle of the fairway.

Thomas was just ridiculous, especially from 14 in. 

14 - Misses green with wedge, chips in

15 - Drives into water, drops and fires a wedge to about a foot to save par

16 - Holes his second shot on a 400+ yard par 4

17 - Cuts a 9 iron over water to about 8 feet for another 2

18 - Boring par

Absolutely wonderful play.