Golfers Thread

Gaz

Cracking conditions for a late afternoon round today, played well too which helps. 89 for a nett 68, would bite your hand off for that in the Captain's Start on Saturday. Few shots chucked away too, including a couple of 3 putts.20200702_174148.jpg

On 29/06/2020 at 18:09, RiG said:

I'm going to get something booked in as my slice has returned with a vengeance and it's ruining my enjoyment when I have gotten out to hit a few balls. There's been no word from Murrayfield about their beginner lessons restarting again so I am looking at one of the swing analysis lessons up at Braids through here. It's cheaper than a 1 hour lesson and will hopefully pinpoint the may reasons for my drives going as far to the right as they do forward :lol: 

I’ve just booked in for 2 hours worth of lessons with Colin Brooks at Braids. He gets a good reputation in the golfing community.

Players on the Korn Ferry tour this weekend will be faced with a 773 yard par 5. It's at altitude at TPC Colorado just north of Denver though, with the rule of thumb being that your ball travels roughly 6% further at 1 mile above sea level.

It's impressive as hell, but he's going to seriously f**k his back swinging like that

This seems to be the common opinion on this. People saying he’s sacrificing his career long term to gain distance.

I’d love an opinion on this from a qualified person, as to if it’s even remotely true. Watching his lifting routine/strength training. I’d argue that squad and dead’s, when done properly and as part of an proper programme, will actually strengthen his back. Both strengthening the posterior chain and core. The only person I follow on this subject on any social media is JP Guildry who posts lots of golf specific strength work, a lot of which Bryson will likely be doing and he says that most of what he does is actually preventative - as it strengthens the muscles used through the swing.

I’ve seen nothing other than people just blindly commenting “that’s going to f**k his back” with no real evidence to back it up.

It is, however, unbelievably impressive and great fun to watch. He’s bombing it 40 yards past the longest on tour and that’s incredible when you think how far they hit it. He’s also got the pros talking about it, players talking about what others are doing rarely seems to happen.

On 30/06/2020 at 20:17, Distant Doonhamer said:

Played again today. I feel as if I'm close to playing pretty well. Hitting lots of great shots but out of nowhere hitting some really awful ones. Really frustrating. In addition had one of those days where I putted really well but holed virtually nothing. Had easily 6 or 7 putts from 10-20 feet that looked in all the way but didn't drop. Some hopeful signs.

Slow improvement yesterday. My driving (generally a strength) has come back on song and in general hitting the ball reasonably well.

Still some awful stuff in there though. Two par 5s on the back 9 sum it up well. On 14th, 80 yards short of the green in two, take 5 more to get down.

On 16th about 20 yards short of the green in two, take 4 more to get down.

3 over par for 2 holes where I was well placed to birdie one or both. Played to handicap on the back 9 despite those two holes. Stupid game.

First competition of the season for me tomorrow. A stableford.

57 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Slow improvement yesterday. My driving (generally a strength) has come back on song and in general hitting the ball reasonably well.

Still some awful stuff in there though. Two par 5s on the back 9 sum it up well. On 14th, 80 yards short of the green in two, take 5 more to get down.

On 16th about 20 yards short of the green in two, take 4 more to get down.

3 over par for 2 holes where I was well placed to birdie one or both. Played to handicap on the back 9 despite those two holes. Stupid game.

First competition of the season for me tomorrow. A stableford.

I'm in a similar place, I'm hitting the ball as well as I ever have, but mixing it in with complete and utter brainfades. Twice yesterday I was millimetres from a freshie as I tried to play a safe sensible shot after an iffy drive. The first put me even further behind the tree I was attempting to avoid, and the second had the embarrassment of one of my playing partners confirming to the other that it wasn't an airshot because the ball had moved about an inch. Add in three 3 putts from about 15 feet, and it should have been a total disaster, yet I also had 2 gross birdies and finished level to handicap. Stupid game is the perfect desciption.

I'm in a similar place, I'm hitting the ball as well as I ever have, but mixing it in with complete and utter brainfades. Twice yesterday I was millimetres from a freshie as I tried to play a safe sensible shot after an iffy drive. The first put me even further behind the tree I was attempting to avoid, and the second had the embarrassment of one of my playing partners confirming to the other that it wasn't an airshot because the ball had moved about an inch. Add in three 3 putts from about 15 feet, and it should have been a total disaster, yet I also had 2 gross birdies and finished level to handicap. Stupid game is the perfect desciption.

If I could cut out the occasional brain fart I would take about 6 shots off my handicap in no time. Always hit an iron off the tee at our 5th hole, it should leave you about 110 yards or so to the green. Sliced yesterday's effort, lucky to find it in deep rough, had to chop it out sideways, next shot ended up just off the green, should have been a simple up and down for a bogey. Aye right, bladed my chip through the green into the bunker, hit a decent bunker shot but ended up with a 7. This was coming off the back of parring the previous 3 holes, having hit all 3 greens in regulation.

Overall though I am striking my irons really well, and my putting has been excellent for the most part. Consistency off the tee is my biggest problem at the moment.

Kirriemuir in 80 today. Soaked through and the greens had some standing water throughout but I’m absolutely delighted. It’s clearly an easier course but I’m still delighted with the score. Might have to turn pro lads......

Kirriemuir in 80 today. Soaked through and the greens had some standing water throughout but I’m absolutely delighted. It’s clearly an easier course but I’m still delighted with the score. Might have to turn pro lads......

Well done both in terms of score and tenacity. If the weather was anything like it was near me I wouldn’t have been playing.

Well done both in terms of score and tenacity. If the weather was anything like it was near me I wouldn’t have been playing.

If I wasn’t playing well I probably would have chucked it. The fact there was zero wind probably helped as well

Bishopbriggs was closed today with a bit of flooding after torrential rain through the night and a fair chunk of today. Rain is off now and hopefully stays off overnight to give the Captain's start a chance of going ahead tomorrow.

Re being millimetres from a freshie, I hit a shot so fat yesterday that the ball moved about two feet forward and the huge divot I took landed on top of the ball. Hysterical laughter from partners and (eventually) me too.

4 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Re being millimetres from a freshie, I hit a shot so fat yesterday that the ball moved about two feet forward and the huge divot I took landed on top of the ball. Hysterical laughter from partners and (eventually) me too.

🤣 How was hitting the next one?