Golfers Thread

Gaz

Driving range at Braids was due to open yesterday but they've put that back until the end of the month because of the latest government advice. Not sure what advice it was that means they need to stay closed...

Went up to Lasswade to try the range there but it was rammed with a queue of people waiting to get on.

Not having much luck trying to get out and hit the ball at the minute.

14 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Did anyone read Rory's comments yesterday? Said he can't understand European players who have decided not to play in the US and have stayed at home. Bit harsh on players with young families imo.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/53084600

Yeh I read them here yesterday. Was kind of hoping for Rory's sake that he'd been taken out of context but having read the exact quote he's pretty out of order IMO. Seems a far too regular occurrence with him that he's making comments in the media that just makes him sound like a total knob.

I think everyone appreciates a straight talker and someone who answers what they really think to media questions but he could quite easily express his view that it's fine for these events to earn world ranking points  without having a cheap and unnecessary dig at those who don't agree. 

9 holes at a wet Kingennie this morning. Went round in 44 which is a PB for me. 3 pars but a triple bogey after a drive out of bounds at 4. Most disappointing tho was 2 three putts when putting for birdie both times. Such a frustrating but wonderful game

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/53084600
Yeh I read them here yesterday. Was kind of hoping for Rory's sake that he'd been taken out of context but having read the exact quote he's pretty out of order IMO. Seems a far too regular occurrence with him that he's making comments in the media that just makes him sound like a total knob.
I think everyone appreciates a straight talker and someone who answers what they really think to media questions but he could quite easily express his view that it's fine for these events to earn world ranking points  without having a cheap and unnecessary dig at those who don't agree. 
It's his first major faux pas for quite a while. He's been on the money lately with his comments about the proposed World Golf League thing, playing the Ryder Cup with no fans, and saying he won't play with Trump again.

He doesn't seem to have noticed that the likes of Matt Fitzpatrick going over early to quarantine was the exception rather than the rule, and it was an easy decision for Rory to make to play given he lives there and has no kids to worry about.

Played again today. NR at the first where I was all over the place. Picked up but would have been an 8 at best. Holed some decent putts going out to get things going. Played the back 9 really well in 38 (2 over). Ended up winning my match 7&6 and had 38 stableford points despite that awful first hole.

Typical Spieth in many ways. Looking at the stats Russell Knox seems to have gone from a guy who rarely missed a cut to being on a bad run. He missed 4 successive cuts before the lockdown and another last week.  Struggling again this week with a two over first round. Currently T121. 

Knox had a good round today which was bogey free and included 4 birdies for a tidy 67. Probably needed at least one more birdie to make the cut though.

Played 9 holes this evening. Started off very foggy at the 1st so feared for the rest but it cleared and turned into a lovely evening.

Played pretty well too. 3 over par with a couple of really daft bogies. Smashed a 2-iron tee shot right down the middle of the par 5 3rd only to blase my second shot way right into the trees costing me a bogey. On the next hole I topped it off the tee into trees and had to chip out. Not a bad recovery to get a bogey in the end.

Nick Watney pulls out the RBC after testing positive for the covid

Inevitable that this would happen. Sounds like the PGA had good procedures in place so this should be dealt with well.

Edit to add seeing the post above maybe not good procedures, certainly no transparency at any rate.

Played 10 holes this morning as the guy who I was supposed to play with didn't trap, so I was getting held up all the time. One torrential downpour that only lasted 5 minutes, fine apart from that.

Friday I was nett 1 over for 18, struck the ball really well this morning, parring 5 of the 10 holes I played to be nett 2 under after a sloppy start with a couple of 3 putts. Laying a wooden floor yesterday with an early start this morning wasn't one of my better ideas.

Interested to know what everyone’s handicap is? Iv got nothing official but using the SwingU app it’s telling me mine is 19.2
I'm currently 20.6, after starting last season at 23.4, and only playing in 7 qualifiers. Got cut 2 shots in one go after hitting a nett 66. Target for this year was to try and get under 18 and into the second class, we are hoping to have a competition on 4th July and run something every week until October, so still an outside chance I could do it.

I'm currently 20.6, after starting last season at 23.4, and only playing in 7 qualifiers. Got cut 2 shots in one go after hitting a nett 66. Target for this year was to try and get under 18 and into the second class, we are hoping to have a competition on 4th July and run something every week until October, so still an outside chance I could do it.

We would have a pretty competitive game then it seems