Golfers Thread

Gaz

18 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

There really has been some amount of shite talked by the players taking part, but McDowell has been among the worst offenders. Kudos to the caption guy who stuck "world number 374" under his name. emoji23.png

He has gone full Sheena Easton with that accent

13 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

“Don’t Blink”

Plenty time to blink when Kevin Na is around 

Almost 5 hours for 18 holes in yesterday's play. 

No danger that pace of play is going to improve when that sort of money is on the line*. 

*unless you are Phil and DJ who will surely just be phoning it in having already made $100 million plus just for showing up. 

42 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

There really has been some amount of shite talked by the players taking part, but McDowell has been among the worst offenders. Kudos to the caption guy who stuck "world number 374" under his name. emoji23.png

Or 2010 US Open champion, as he's known in LIV terminology...

Haven’t watched it, won’t be watching it, don’t even know who is broadcasting it. Don’t care who wins, I know it exists, but that’s it. I’ve been playing golf since Penfold Commandos were my preferred ball of choice, and golf balls came wrapped individually in red coloured transparent ‘sweetie wrappers’, but I’ve only ever watched five golf tournaments on TV. The four majors and the Ryder Cup. Can only speak for myself, but I simply do not watch any golf on TV other than those. No interest in other ‘normal’ tour events whatsoever. Everything outside the ‘big 5’, in my mind, is about as interesting as the Bells B&Q Petrofac Diddy Challenge Cup. I know it exists, but have zero interest in it.

Come on you Cleeks. Don’t feckin’ think so.

Aside from the fact it’s a shite field (some of the guys I don’t even know and I watch golf fairly regularly across both main tours) I would describe the whole thing as “a bit much”. All the shots, all the wee noises, the teams - it’s just not really for me. I enjoy the chilled out nature of watching golf on TV, bit of analysis, things moving along smoothly, I don’t really need to be watching 10 shots a second but everyone is different I suppose. I noticed the likes of No Laying Up etc praising the production but it all felt a bit Eurosporty to me. Maybe I’m just not used to it.

That being said there is no doubt the PGA coverage infuriates me at times as well. I’ve spent weekends watching tournaments where you’re lucky if they show a single shot from a player in the top 20, yet we see every blink or fart from a +5 Rory. 

It’s certainly different and would probably appeal to the casual/non-golf fans given the pace of the production etc. 

Unfortunately, I think it's probably went well enough that it's here to stay. What happens with the OWGR and majors, and what the 'strategic alliance' do next will probably determine just how successful it's going to be, and how much damage is going to be done to professional golf.

Ultimately, I think this is bad for golf in a big way.

44 minutes ago, Ervin H Burrell said:

Unfortunately, I think it's probably went well enough that it's here to stay.

This is what I don't get. People weren't against it because they thought it was shit, they were against it on moral grounds, it really shouldn't have mattered whether it went well or not. Before any action the line was "obscene amounts of money and it's clear sportwashing" and now those same folk are saying "oohh I like the on screen graphics and the coverage was good!". If that's all it takes to forget the moral argument then the moral argument wasn't an argument at all. 

1 hour ago, Ervin H Burrell said:

Unfortunately, I think it's probably went well enough that it's here to stay. What happens with the OWGR and majors, and what the 'strategic alliance' do next will probably determine just how successful it's going to be, and how much damage is going to be done to professional golf.

Ultimately, I think this is bad for golf in a big way.

If these events are denied OWGR points then we'll really find out how many of the golfers out there are truly motivated by titles over cash. 

Although even if that does happen there's nothing to stop recent major winners playing on the circuit for a couple of years while they benefit from their 5 year exemption status. A bit like DJ and Mickelson can now. 

7 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

If these events are denied OWGR points then we'll really find out how many of the golfers out there are truly motivated by titles over cash. 

Although even if that does happen there's nothing to stop recent major winners playing on the circuit for a couple of years while they benefit from their 5 year exemption status. A bit like DJ and Mickelson can now. 

Aye. So the likes of Mickelson and DJ can play 12 tournaments a year for the next 5 years and walk away with millions. 

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

This is what I don't get. People weren't against it because they thought it was shit, they were against it on moral grounds, it really shouldn't have mattered whether it went well or not. Before any action the line was "obscene amounts of money and it's clear sportwashing" and now those same folk are saying "oohh I like the on screen graphics and the coverage was good!". If that's all it takes to forget the moral argument then the moral argument wasn't an argument at all. 

I'm in full agreement with you here btw, but I think the moral argument is inevitably pushed to the back and weakened once the event has started and is 'legitimised' and the product becomes the main talking point like F1 or Newcastle United. "Sure the Saudis are bad dudes, but I just wanna watch Bryson hit bombs man"

It's literally what sportswashing is I suppose.

2 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

The OWGR and Majors thing will determine if this remains a semi retirement home supplemented with diddies, or something that could seriously break the existing tours and the wider ecosystem.

Although in DJ, Mickelson andDeChambeau they have some of the bigger names in golf, there's not really been anyone announced that you wouldn't expect to join considering either their age, personality or recent career trajectory. 

None of these guys produce the shock wave that a Rahm, Morikawa, McIlroy or Scheffler etc would.