Golfers Thread

Gaz

Can't find the graph but Liv has went to a high of 120k views for the first tournament and it's now a steady 50k on YouTube at some point they will have to manufacture Phil being up there to get some numbers or sign Hideki 

I only watched 5 minutes of the 1st 2 events, but watched a couple of hours of LIV on both Saturday and Sunday, mainly because I didn't have access to Sky and I had a bet on Patrick Reed. It's certainly different.

The coverage is good in so much as they show a lot of golf shots, you probably see more shots in 15 minutes as you would in an hour of the PGA. Caveat here is that there's obviously no sponsors/adverts/TV deal (yet). Much of it is lacking context though, or just stuff you don't really need to particularly see, they cut to some random in 38th place lagging a 50ft putt and tell me this means Bonesaw FC stay 7th in the team standings. Alan Partridge shrug gifs all round. 

I think the team aspect has potential, but they're not utilising it properly, so it remains a try hard gimmick, the teams, scoring etc seem to change at each event. The names are terrible of course. Change the names, make them wear team colours, reduce the individual purses and put them into the team event and make every score count, and you'd actually have something worthwhile imo.

They call the leaderboard a 'pylon', 'that birdie means he moves up the pylon'. Trying way too hard here, which is a constant theme with the commentary, which isn't too bad when they're actually talking about golf, but the constant 'this is a great tournament/course/tour/event/atmosphere' is really jarring and it begins to sound like they're trying to convince themselves. Same goes for the shotgun start, the only good thing about it is the thought of Phil and Pat Perez ending their round on the 6th hole, a mile from the clubhouse, signing for +8 in front of about 4 fans.

It also turned into a Trump rally, with the '4 more years' and 'let's go Brandon' chants. It remains to be seen if going all in with these arseholes pays off, I have my doubts. It obviously won't be as bad at other venues, and they will probably get decent crowds when they go to Malaysia and Saudi Arabia (but will probably lose some of their YouTube viewers due to the time difference), but the finale is at Trump's course at Doral, so I imagine that'll be even worse.

Unfortunately, I think it's here to stay for the next couple of years at least, what the professional golf world looks like then is anyone's guess.

9 minutes ago, Stringer Bell said:

Surprised that this is the only co-sanctioned event they've announced.

Only one I looked for I'll check for others

Yip only the one

Screenshot_20220801-201633.png

Edited by doulikefish

3 hours ago, peasy23 said:
12 hours ago, doulikefish said:
Only one I looked for I'll check for others
Yip only the one

Screenshot_20220801-201633.thumb.png.87e9e44d101976354f9ec5f88173c993.png

The Superbowl is in Phoenix next year, have a wild guess which weekend the Phoenix Waste Management Open is being played.

Yeah noticed that tbf that's it's normal place on the schedule and having been to Phoenix it's such a spread out city that you can do both and not even notice the other event is on if you wanted if that makes sense 

11 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Hope the PGA Tour's lawyers ask them directly how they are "growing the game"

Could be a tricky one for Mickelson if he has to lay bare his finances in court. He is claiming financial loss. He has a 2 year ban from the PGA Tour as he was apparently acting as Greg Norman's agent in getting other players to sign up.

23 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Could be a tricky one for Mickelson if he has to lay bare his finances in court. He is claiming financial loss. He has a 2 year ban from the PGA Tour as he was apparently acting as Greg Norman's agent in getting other players to sign up.

"Mr Mickelson can you tell us who the Mr a bookmaker is you gave 40milion too"