Golfers Thread

Gaz

Like the 6 second rule in football. The clock is a rule that exists but is rarely enforced. Kilsyth has "it should have taken you 2 hrs to get to this point" etc signs that I really like. Something like that on tour. Reasonable adjustments for crowds etc but need to start looking at penalties if you're taking the piss

7 minutes ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Like the 6 second rule in football. The clock is a rule that exists but is rarely enforced. Kilsyth has "it should have taken you 2 hrs to get to this point" etc signs that I really like. Something like that on tour. Reasonable adjustments for crowds etc but need to start looking at penalties if you're taking the piss

There have been notable instances of players penalised for slow play.

The last occasion a final group got in trouble is the 1981 PGA Championship at Ganton; winner Nick Faldo and Greg Norman were fined $50 and Ken Brown $150.

Brown was a notoriously slow player as was Bernhard Langer. 

Wish Cantlay would go to LIV.

7 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

He's pulled it back last 2 holes but this from Koepka is like the 2019 open when he was paired with notorious slow player JB Holmes and melted, probably an element of that being stuck behind Cantlay. 

It's absolutely how you nobble Brooks. Phil did the same at the PGA at Kiawah Island.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I've always felt that the GC/pro in the shop should make more of a point generally to make sure people understand the need for good etiquette on pace of play. 

As a general rule if the group behind has less players than the group I’m in then as soon as it’s possible to do so they will get waved through. There’s nothing worse than going out for a midweek round in a 2 ball and catching up to a 4 ball who stand watching you on the tee waiting for them to putt out, only to have the same scenario occur on the next hole. I should say at my course the vast majority of the time the group ahead will notice and wave you through, but it has happened a couple of times where we’ve been forced to either skip a few holes to get past them or turn back towards the club house. 

What does annoy me with some people is if you are playing a competition and every slot is filled with 4 balls, the pace of play is generally slower but you get the group behind playing up your arse as if they want to be let through, even though there is another 15 groups infront of them and they are going to be in the exact same position as we were in. In that scenario I wouldn’t be letting them through, on busy competition days you’ve got to accept that you might need to wait a few minutes for fairways/greens to clear. 

3 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

There have been notable instances of players penalised for slow play.

The last occasion a final group got in trouble is the 1981 PGA Championship at Ganton; winner Nick Faldo and Greg Norman were fined $50 and Ken Brown $150.

Brown was a notoriously slow player as was Bernhard Langer. 

I heard a story about langer asking for a yardage to a sprinkler at the front of the green. The caddy gave him it. Langer then asked if that was the the front or the back of the sorunkler head

Regarding slow play. If I’m being held up then I get frustrated/angry and my head go’s. My score then suffers. I know I’m old enough to be able to control that…..but slow play (usually old c***s) really grips my shit and affects me

5 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Aye, codgers playing skins for 50p a hole are the worst. 

Retired boys have all week to play yet seem to wait until my round o Saturday to decide to come out and hold me up