Golfers Thread

Gaz

Is that possible, does that make sense and does it exist or am I over thinking as usuall and trying to blame a golf ball for my bad golf?

Probably the latter, I'm afraid.  It's the same with all equipment.  

For example, guy goes on Trackman and hits his driver.  He knows that high launch and low spin = distance.  He has too much spin, say at 3900 revs.  He then buys a Ping G30 LS (Low Spin Driver) at £250.  Then buys a low spin after-market shaft at £100.  In doing so, he will reduce his spin by around 900 revs.  He is delighted with the extra 7-10 yards.

He then hits the ball the same distance on the course, because something in his swing has made him hit an extra degree down on the ball, exerting an extra 900 revs.  Â£350 spent on nothing.

Some will then argue that £350 is 7-12 lessons with a pro and he'd be better spending the cash on that.

However, what if the pro is crap (plenty of iffy ones)?  What if he doesn't have the time to practice on the drills the pro has given him?  What if he continues to slip into bad habits?  

TL/DR: Back on to your question about golf balls- yes, some will reduce spin, but remember, there is NO SUCH THING as side-spin.  The ball curves left and right due to the axis tilt at impact, which is caused by your clubface's relationship with your club path.  

The angle of your club face at impact is hugely influential to the starting direction of your ball (strike, angle of attack and a couple of other variables affect this too).  If your face is open to your path, it will curve to the right (right-hander) and if closed to your path, it will curve to the left (right-hander).

"The face sends it.... the path bends it".

Golf balls do affect distance, but, as club golfers, I believe the affect a golf ball has, other than psychological, is minimal in your scoring.  More influential is your strike (wee ball then big ball), your course management skills and your ability to control your club face to path.

Edited by Nutz_the_Squirrel

That is very helpful, thank you for explaining that.

I thought because I was using an expensive golf ball it may be spining left or right as when using medium price balls I never used to fade, where as now using an expensive ball everything fades.

I now know this isn't a golf ball thing it is probably the angle (open/close) clubface at impact.

That is very helpful, thank you for explaining that.

I thought because I was using an expensive golf ball it may be spining left or right as when using medium price balls I never used to fade, where as now using an expensive ball everything fades.

I now know this isn't a golf ball thing it is probably the angle (open/close) clubface at impact.

What direction does your ball START?  Left, straight or right?  

What direction does your ball BEND?  Left, straight or right?

It starts straight for the first 180ish yards then fires massively to the right

(All other clubs are fine, this issue is purely with Driver)

I am now thinking of what grip should I be using, what direction I am bringing the club back on my back swing, what should I be doing with my arms/legs/body....I hate golf lol

I am now thinking of what grip should I be using, what direction I am bringing the club back on my back swing, what should I be doing with my arms/legs/body....I hate golf lol

Where do you tee it for your driver?

I used to have the problem of blasting it right, but being fine on every other club - pro moved the ball about an inch forward in my stance during a driver lesson, and now it gets duffed straight rather than right!

I used to have the problem of blasting it right, but being fine on every other club - pro moved the ball about an inch forward in my stance during a driver lesson, and now it gets duffed straight rather than right!

I think thats the problem, I just approach and stand at the ball whatever feels comfortable with driver and all my clubs.

The ball is usually on the inside of my front foot with driver and middle of stance for all other clubs.

I am going for 9 holes at Glenrothes today so going to put the ball an inch further in my stance when driving and see how it goes

Lol- it's a path issue.  1 million ways to treat it, but changing path is hard work.

Best short-term fix is to tee the ball up as normal.  Then, put your club in the middle of your stance, so your sternum is facing straight ahead of you.  Then, without moving your shoulders or sternum, put the clubhead behind the ball.

I'm hoping to get back into golf this year. Played The Dukes a few weeks ago and played okay. I can fair smack my driver straight and far. Everything else is a problem, especially on and around the green.

Talking about golf balls, anyone recommend good coloured balls? Just want something different.

I'm hoping to get back into golf this year. Played The Dukes a few weeks ago and played okay. I can fair smack my driver straight and far. Everything else is a problem, especially on and around the green.

Talking about golf balls, anyone recommend good coloured balls? Just want something different.

Coloured balls are for women or Japanese people. Stick to white or everyone who sees you on the course will think 'fanny'.

Coloured balls are for women or Japanese people. Stick to white or everyone who sees you on the course will think 'fanny'.

Don't care. Just want to make it easier to tell my ball apart from the other 3. I may however try they Callaways that were mentioned a few posts back.

I'm going to have a stab at getting back into playing golf this year. I played a bit when I was young, but you're talking at least ten years ago and it was never to any standard, just fannying about with my mates, but I have some idea of the very basics...

Has anyone ever done any sort of group lessons in Cumbernauld or surrounding areas Glasgow/Falkirk/Stirling etc? One to one tuition is just a touch expensive! Alternatively, able to recommend any online teaching materials, YouTube seems to be a bit of a minefield.

I've got a golf ball picker that holds about 70 or so, going to go out a couple of nights a week at the football pitches near mine and just get a feel for hitting the ball first of all...

Don't care. Just want to make it easier to tell my ball apart from the other 3. I may however try they Callaways that were mentioned a few posts back.

If your ever needing a partner fire me a message bud we can pick up a decent course on tee times. I'm looking to het back into this year again after barely playing the last few weeks.

I'm up at Balwearie tomorrow for my first round of the season and up at the range tonight. Went up on Tuesday and was striking the ball well, my problem is I need a rescue club but since I've been out of the game for a while I've not been following new gear. Anyone got any recommendations about drivers/woods/rescues. Preferably all of the same type.

If your ever needing a partner fire me a message bud we can pick up a decent course on tee times. I'm looking to het back into this year again after barely playing the last few weeks.

I'm up at Balwearie tomorrow for my first round of the season and up at the range tonight. Went up on Tuesday and was striking the ball well, my problem is I need a rescue club but since I've been out of the game for a while I've not been following new gear. Anyone got any recommendations about drivers/woods/rescues. Preferably all of the same type.

If your local bud gives a shout anytime you fancy a round.

I am not the best and learning myself but always up for a game and blether with someone.

Gies a shout if you and db want a bounce ill sign you on to Balbernie