Golfers Thread

Gaz

33 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I wish I'd bookmarked some wanks tweet earlier this week in which he was saying Bob shouldn't get a Ryder Cup shout because he "wasn't even in the top 30 European players". The big yin has been very good these last few weeks, I just hope the final day losses don't knock the wind out of him. So many more positives for him to take and his next win won't be far away. Good showing next week and he'll be in a strong position. 

I doubted how he'd cope mentally with last week but that's a resounding response this week. He was so close to basically ticking off most of his career goals in one go, but there's only positives to be taken from today. 

He seems to be hitting the ball superbly just now and long may it continue. 

I had serious doubts about Bob being anywhere near the Ryder Cup after how his season was panning out but the last few weeks he looks like a different guy. The changes he’s made have made a huge difference and he is playing some top notch stuff. There was a lot of “bottled it” type comments on social media after last weekend but he should’ve shut those folk up with his showing this week, especially how he played the 18th today. 

I just hope he takes some confidence into The Open now and he isn’t deflated after that ridiculous closing two holes from Rory.

3 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Well you don't normally win the week before a Major, and then win the Major after, so Bob to win next week

"Ahem"somebody's last major was 2014 you should check what happened the week before 

Fair play to Boab he never lost that Rory won it and is only one of the few players that could have done that all in all a superb Scottish open 

5 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

"Ahem"somebody's last major was 2014 you should check what happened the week before

Oh, I'm aware, and he was the most recent to do it. But it's only ever happened 11 times, only Trevino has managed it before the Open, and nobody has ever done it twice...

If he does it, then fair play. And you could get a job on Sky golf with that hype job ;)

Rory McIlroy: Won WGC Bridgestone Invitational followed by the 2014 PGA Championship

Tiger Woods: Won WGC Bridgestone Invitational followed by the 2007 PGA Championship

Phil Mickelson: Won BellSouth Classic followed by the 2006 Masters Tournament

Sandy Lyle: Won Greater Greensboro Open followed by the 1988 Masters Tournament

Lee Trevino: Won the Canadian Open followed by the 1971 British Open

Art Wall: Won the Azalea Open followed by the 1959 Masters Tournament

*Sam Snead: Won the Greater Greensboro Open followed by the 1949 Masters Tournament

*Ben Hogan: Won the Winnipeg Open followed by the 1946 PGA Championship

*Byron Nelson: Won the Chicago Victory Open followed by the 1945 PGA Championship

Ralph Guldahl: Won the Greater Greensboro Open followed by the 1939 Masters Tournament

*Henry Picard: Won the Scranton Open followed by the 1939 PGA Championship

https://www.golfcompendium.com/2020/08/golfers-who-won-week-before-winning-major.html

35 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Where's all our money and hopes being invested this week?

I've gone for Fowler, Hatton, Fleetwood and Bob Mac.

Fowler and Lowry will also dabble on Tom Kim 

Edited by doulikefish

33 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Bob jumps just the 50 places up the world rankings after yesterday. Now 54th in the world.

Sweden's Vincent Norrman made an ever bigger jump as he took full advantage of the weak field at the Barbasol to win after a playoff. He pocketed a handy €600k and jumped from 286 to 164. 

https://www.skysports.com/golf/news/12176/12921948/pga-tour-englands-nathan-kimsey-beaten-by-vincent-norrman-in-play-off-at-barbasol-championship

2 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Bob jumps just the 50 places up the world rankings after yesterday. Now 54th in the world.

Delighted to see how big the rankings jump is.  Huge cheque/points even for second even though the result ended up being so cruel.

We'd all have loved Bob to win yesterday, and a PGA tour card would have been a career changer, but hopefully this is a big step back into the Top 50, getting into all the majors, and making the Ryder Cup team (which, on form and points, he was nowhere near 2 or 3 weeks ago before Denmark).  A strong week at the Open would obviously be huge.

6 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

Delighted to see how big the rankings jump is.  Huge cheque/points even for second even though the result ended up being so cruel.

We'd all have loved Bob to win yesterday, and a PGA tour card would have been a career changer, but hopefully this is a big step back into the Top 50, getting into all the majors, and making the Ryder Cup team (which, on form and points, he was nowhere near 2 or 3 weeks ago before Denmark).  A strong week at the Open would obviously be huge.

He does get a special temporary membership though. He got more points yesterday for second than he did when he won the Italian open last year.

Played Abama in Tenerife on Saturday and Sunday (wanted to play earlier in the week but I’m not built for 37 deg C!).  Shot 89 and 79 - 85 would be to my handicap so very pleased with the latter. 

Stunning course and pretty challenging, would really recommend it.  Can be quite slow though like all resort golf - on the second round I was on for a 2 hr 30 round but caught up the people in front on 14 and that really slowed me down.

Good quality rental clubs too (TaylorMade Sim Max 2) but who on earth decided that a 9deg loft driver is what random hackers want on a resort course?   Getting used to that was really the difference between my 2 rounds!

4 hours ago, Disco Duck said:

Good quality rental clubs too (TaylorMade Sim Max 2) but who on earth decided that a 9deg loft driver is what random hackers want on a resort course?   Getting used to that was really the difference between my 2 rounds!

Good for keeping it low off the tee as normally a pretty windy course but that's good scoring 

1 hour ago, doulikefish said:

Good for keeping it low off the tee as normally a pretty windy course but that's good scoring 

I barely got it off the ground in the first round!  Was a bit breezy but no more than that.

11 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Where's all our money and hopes being invested this week?

I've gone for Fowler, Hatton, Fleetwood and Bob Mac.

I noticed the William Hills along from my work are offering evens for Rory to finish t20 or better, which seems pretty much like free money. 

37 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I noticed the William Hills along from my work are offering evens for Rory to finish t20 or better, which seems pretty much like free money. 

Online aswell I am in for some of that