Golfers Thread

Gaz

18 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Comes across as a nice bloke. Hopefully see you in his next video then mate 

Nah i dodged the cameras big time. He did a wee bit to camera after i walked away saying hed just been handed the wedges etc. very nice guy, was refreshing, i’ve met a lot of celebrities either through music, golf and my job and many are utter p***ks. 

Good run of scores ended today. Playing off 6 and dropped 5 shots in first 2 holes. Always a struggle after that.

Actually fought back pretty well to be out in 43 and back in 40 despite 3 putting the last for another double bogey.

Played the par 3s in level and the par 5s in one under but a real struggle on a good number of the par 4s.

Back up to 5.7 from 5.5. Another good score due to leave my 20 after another competition round tomorrow.

Played my home course today (Balbirnie) off a single figure handicap for the 1st time. A reasonable return of 36 points in the stableford, more pleasing is that I kept a 6 and double bogey off the card for the 2nd consecutive round, checking back my stats it's now 44 competitive holes since I carded a score over a 5, hopefully it continues. 

47 minutes ago, keyser_soze said:

Played my home course today (Balbirnie) off a single figure handicap for the 1st time. A reasonable return of 36 points in the stableford, more pleasing is that I kept a 6 and double bogey off the card for the 2nd consecutive round, checking back my stats it's now 44 competitive holes since I carded a score over a 5, hopefully it continues. 

That's a fine effort.

I had no worse than a bogey on my card today. That's in sharp contrast to 3 doubles plus a triple bogey yesterday. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Sorely tempted to upgrade my irons, currently using a 3-PW set of Lynx #BB tour but have had them for 4 years now so grips are getting towards the end of their life. Saw a Set of Callaway Rouge ST Pro (3-PW) but slightly put off by the 2nd hand price of £630, also playing really well with my current irons so seems daft to splash the cash, especially at the tail end of the season.

Heart says buy them, you never know when another set like this will be available, head says I'll get at least 1 more year from my current set 🤣

10 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

That's a fine effort.

I had no worse than a bogey on my card today. That's in sharp contrast to 3 doubles plus a triple bogey yesterday. 

Few weeks ago I started well then 8,9, 10 I went Triple, triple, quad. Completely wrecked the card, it happens sometimes, that's just golf for you.

3 hours ago, keyser_soze said:

Sorely tempted to upgrade my irons, currently using a 3-PW set of Lynx #BB tour but have had them for 4 years now so grips are getting towards the end of their life. Saw a Set of Callaway Rouge ST Pro (3-PW) but slightly put off by the 2nd hand price of £630, also playing really well with my current irons so seems daft to splash the cash, especially at the tail end of the season.

Heart says buy them, you never know when another set like this will be available, head says I'll get at least 1 more year from my current set 🤣

New set of grips, new lease of life. No brainer when the current clubs are getting the job done.

PS, always enjoy Balbirnie, seems to suit my eye (apart from the last, which gets me every feckin' time... 🙄)

The FedEx St. Jude goes to a playoff between Glover and Cantlay.

I've never seen a golfer sweat as much as Glover has today, but he has holed miles of putts. He had a birdie putt to win it on the last which was bang in the middle of the hole, but came up a foot short.

Can't be many golfers more beige than Cantlay, but he definitely keeps his best stuff for these playoffs.

2 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Glover pars, Cantlay shaves the hole with his attempt. Back to back wins for Glover. He's going to be hard for Johnson not to pick him for the Ryder Cup, he's up to 5th in the FedEx standings. 

Glover seems like a great lad, really chuffed he's come back the way he has.

5 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Glover pars, Cantlay shaves the hole with his attempt. Back to back wins for Glover. He's going to be hard for Johnson not to pick him for the Ryder Cup, he's up to 5th in the FedEx standings. 

Johnson is going to be leaving a couple of guys out he would have never thought likely a couple of months ago. The last two majors and this run from Glover has blown his likely team out of the water. 

3 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Johnson is going to be leaving a couple of guys out he would have never thought likely a couple of months ago. The last two majors and this run from Glover has blown his likely team out of the water. 

Defo. Clark, Harman and Glover probably weren't even on his radar at the start of the year, now the first two look like auto qualifiers while Glover is going to be very high up the FedEx rankings. They changed their rules to suit the FedEx when Horschel won it after being left out in 2014. Combined with the guys who left for Liv then the likely US team looks a lot less scary than it could have.

28 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Defo. Clark, Harman and Glover probably weren't even on his radar at the start of the year, now the first two look like auto qualifiers while Glover is going to be very high up the FedEx rankings. They changed their rules to suit the FedEx when Horschel won it after being left out in 2014. Combined with the guys who left for Liv then the likely US team looks a lot less scary than it could have.

surely more scary if they actually have form players and not just captains mates? granted its not the "big" names

21 minutes ago, bobbydazzler said:

surely more scary if they actually have form players and not just captains mates? granted its not the "big" names

I'm not that clued up on how the US weigh their rankings, but in his last 10 events Clark has two wins, but outside that has only been in the top 20 once and was t66th out of 70 over the weekend. Harman has been more consistent tbf, but I'd much rather face the two of them than an in form Finau or Thomas. Johnson is going to have a tougher job with his captain's picks than Donald imo.

3 hours ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

Getting harder and harder for Johnson to justify any inclusion of Thomas.

Yep, can't see it tbh. The only way he gets picked is if Johnson thinks having him there will make Speith play better, as I'm fairly sure that he will get a captain's pick.