Golfers Thread

Gaz

10 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Not hugely surprised by the picks. Got to feel a bit for Meronk missing out to a guy who only made his professional debut a matter of months ago but I think it’s the right call.

10 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

That must hurt like hell. He'll no doubt be wondering what Donald's reasoning is for overlooking him in favour of a relative neophyte at elite level.

Think Aberg was always going be in ... basically the hottest newbie in the world right now ,as someone mentioned earlier big Bjorn probably swayed it for Hojgaard 

I feel sorry for Meronk but Aberg is a class above already and will be a top 10 player in the world by the time the next Ryder Cup comes around. Lowry should count himself very lucky though. One top ten this season is gubbins. His putting and scrambling stats for the year are also rubbish and is definitely in on reputation.

Overall it’s a strong looking team for Europe and i’m a bit more confident now than I would’ve been a few months ago.

Edited by ArabGaz

Just now, Florentine_Pogen said:

Ludvig & Viktor does have a nice ring to it. Make it happen, Luke.

I'd prefer Vik and Tommy to be paired. A repeat of the 'Molliwood' clean sweep against these Yankee chumps.

I'd go the following for 'pods'

Rahm - Straka/Aberg

Hovland/Fleetwood - Hojgaard

Rory - Lowry/Boab

Hatton/Fitz - Rose

15 minutes ago, ArabGaz said:

His putting and scrambling stats for the year are also rubbish and is definitely in on reputation.

I reckon if there hadn’t been so many rookies in the team Lowry wouldn’t have got near it. It’s definitely a team pick rather than a pick based on how he’s been playing individually. 

Who do we think oor Bob is getting paired up with?

I'd go for 4 pods of 3 that will practice in three balls and one pair from each pod will play in each session

Pod 1: Rory McIlroy, Robert McIntyre, Nicolai Hojgaard

Pod 2: John Rahm, Tyrell Hatton, Shane Lowry

Pod 3: Victor Hovland, Tommy Fleetwood, Ludvig Aberd

Pod 4: Matthew Fitzpatrick, Justin Rose, Sepp Straka

Good mix of youth/experience (both in age and Ryder Cup record) in each pod. Very deliberately put Fitzpatrick (0-5 all time across two Ryder Cups) with the very experienced Rose. McIlroy is the only one that gets two rookies in his pod with him. Pairings that have done decently together in the past (Hatton with both Rahm and Lowey, and Hovland with Fleetwood) are in the same pods again.

24 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I've seen Donald mention the guys that just missed out such as Meronk, but did he not think to read this very read and consider handing a wildcard to someone from P&B?

Not sure my matchplay record this year would cut the mustard. So far this year it reads:

Played = 3

Won = 0

Lost = 3

Ties forfeited due to hangover = 1

36 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I've seen Donald mention the guys that just missed out such as Meronk, but did he not think to read this very read and consider handing a wildcard to someone from P&B?

It's almost like he didn't notice me saying I came home in 43 today.