Rugby Union

kiwififer

4 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Don't know what the rules are regarding pitch size, but Ibrox had to be extended to accommodate the pitch for the Commonwealth Rugby 7s.

From World Rugby Laws of the Game 

the-plan-feb2015-en.jpg

1.2 Required dimensions for the playing enclosure
(a)
Dimensions. The field of play does not exceed 100 metres in length. Each in-goal does not exceed 22 metres in length. The playing area does not exceed 70 metres in width.

(b)

The length and breadth of the playing area are to be as near as possible to the dimensions indicated. All the areas are rectangular.

(c)

The distance from the goal line to the dead ball line will preferably be not less than 10 metres.

(d)

In respect of:

(i) Matches between the senior national representative team or the next senior national representative team of a Union against the senior or next senior national representative team of another Union; and

(ii) International seven-a-side matches;

the dimensions should be as close to the maximum sizes as possible, and not less than 94 metres in length for the field of play, 68 metres in width, and with a minimum in-goal length of 6 metres. Unions wishing to vary minimum or maximum dimensions should apply for dispensation to World Rugby.

(e)

The perimeter area should not be less than 5 metres where practicable.

IIRC correctly, they had to get special dispensation from World Rugby for the CG 7s.

According to Wiki the pitch at Ibrox is 105m, it was extended over the track at either end to make the in goal areas a decent size, but they were nowhere near the recommended 10m iirc.

Rugby Park is only 102 m long and has hosted international matches. If they do make the semis then it's post SPL split so there's no way of knowing yet what grounds would be available anyway.

I've got a feeling the semi has to have a minimum of 25k or 30k seats and be a neutral venue in the hosts country.

I would guess that anywhere in Glasgow would be ruled out, last year Saracens played Wasps at the Madjeski when you would have thought a stadium in London (Twickenham, Wembley, etc) would have been preferably, and drawn a bigger crowd. The other semi Leicester played Racing (Glasgow beat both of the semi finalists home and away) at the City Ground in Nottingham when the King Power would better choice.

I think we all know its going to be Murrayfield.

Edit - Looking further back Sarries did play at Twickenham, although this is before the EPRC days so rules may have changed.

Edited by honestly united

Could be as much as 15 years ago but I remember going to a Scotland v Australia match at Hampden, for one of the Autumn tests. In terms of venue it would be the bottom of my list, a huge shallow bowl with both ends miles from the pitch.

Could be as much as 15 years ago but I remember going to a Scotland v Australia match at Hampden, for one of the Autumn tests. In terms of venue it would be the bottom of my list, a huge shallow bowl with both ends miles from the pitch.

Was sure I hadn't imagined it. The only reason hampden came to mind was that I was reckoning that the pitch would be closer to the required size. My choice personally would be murrayfield for quality of the pitch. Big wide pitch would suit Glasgow especially given how negative munsters normal game plan is (assuming it's munster of course)

Plenty of games have been played at Hampden, including some in the 1999 RWC, and Scotland v Australia in 2004.
I'd actually prefer to see Glasgow keep big games in the city, even if it means playing at a football ground.

99 is ringing a bell....think hampden might even have been a venue on the old ea rugby game

So apparently a home quarter final requires 15000 minimum capacity. Saracens will extend the capacity of Allianz park for this game. Hoping Glasgow take a sizeable support.

Didn't realise that. Is there a reason that the authorities are setting these seating capacities for qf n sf? Other than usual greed of course.

Didn't realise that. Is there a reason that the authorities are setting these seating capacities for qf n sf? Other than usual greed of course.

15000 for the qf doesn't seem that unreasonable to me. The sf is a neutral venue in the home sides nation of EPCR's choosing . Having the minimum capacity at the level they have should insure almost all fans of both sides get tickets and be more or less full

15000 for the qf doesn't seem that unreasonable to me. The sf is a neutral venue in the home sides nation of EPCR's choosing . Having the minimum capacity at the level they have should insure almost all fans of both sides get tickets and be more or less full

Yeah suppose that's true. I've never really looked at how big crowds are for this stage of Europe since its so rare for our teams to be involved. Get the impression that plenty of Glasgow fans are after tickets. Changed days from when the glasgow away crowd would be twenty odd folk.