Rugby Union

kiwififer

Being the 2nd seed only benefits in terms of the scheduling of the games. If we get the 2nd seed spot (we would need to lose 2 points over the next 4 games), the 3rd seed will be one of Italy, Argentina, Japan and Georgia. You are then praying you dont get Argentina. Fourth pot will be just as bad as it will more than likely contain Fiji, Tonga, Samoa and Romania with pot 4 could be US, Canada, Russia and Namibia.

Crikey that pot 3 just shows how well rugby has developed globally....3 sides with recent wins over sa!!

12 minutes ago, dogmc said:

Kinda disagree....it wasn't momentum for me and it wasn't an immediate placement. I thought it was a genuine double movement though I've watched it so many times I might just be convincing myself....very surprised it wasn't at least tmod though.

It should probably have gone to the TMO.  Like you, I've watched it a few times.  The BBC highlights show three angles and in the first two it definitely looks like a double movement.  In the 3rd it looks legit and, had it been a Scotland 'try' the crowd would have applauded the try.

For others see from 03.30 on: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38870073

It should probably have gone to the TMO.  Like you, I've watched it a few times.  The BBC highlights show three angles and in the first two it definitely looks like a double movement.  In the 3rd it looks legit and, had it been a Scotland 'try' the crowd would have applauded the try.
For others see from 03.30 on: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38870073

Having watched several seasons of Pro12 refs ruining scottish sides and allowing the Irish away with murder the crowd would have been well justified in applauding in that scenario [emoji2]. ....still leaning for double movement tbh. Just glad team had character to make it an irrelevance (ireland would have made losing bonus point one way or another imo)

3 minutes ago, dogmc said:

Having watched several seasons of Pro12 refs ruining scottish sides and allowing the Irish away with murder the crowd would have been well justified in applauding in that scenario emoji2.png. ....still leaning for double movement tbh. Just glad team had character to make it an irrelevance (ireland would have made losing bonus point one way or another imo)

On the team: They were brilliant.  Cool heads needed in Paris, though.  France looked impressive on Saturday.  I reckon the winning or losing will be down to how well our back row disrupt them.

On the try: Were I the TMO I'd have awarded it based on the 3rd angle.  Interested in the views of others..

On the team: They were brilliant.  Cool heads needed in Paris, though.  France looked impressive on Saturday.  I reckon the winning or losing will be down to how well our back row disrupt them.
On the try: Were I the TMO I'd have awarded it based on the 3rd angle.  Interested in the views of others..

Yep France should require a step up (saying that the French could just as easily be rotten). We switched off for half an hour dropped defensive intensity and slowed the possesion to the backs. That would be fatal on Sunday.

3 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Am I not right in saying that as long as we beat Italy, Argentina can't overtake us

I haven't worked out the other results (a lot of permutations left with 4 rounds of 3 matches to go) but purely on the basis of defeats to France, Wales, England by under 7 and a win against Italy by over 7 we would be behind Argentina by 0.1 of a ranking point. 

Now if Wales beat England then things are completely different even with the same results and I think we should then be safe in band 2. 

It is all a bit fluid!

3 hours ago, ChrisMFCfan1886 said:

Anyone else on here going to Saracens away? I'm a season ticket holder so managed to get them earlier today, looking forward to it and hear. We have a sizeable support heading down

I am. Standing section as all other sections had sold out for our numbers! 

13 hours ago, honestly united said:

Being the 2nd seed only benefits in terms of the scheduling of the games. If we get the 2nd seed spot (we would need to lose 2 points over the next 4 games), the 3rd seed will be one of Italy, Argentina, Japan and Georgia. You are then praying you dont get Argentina. Fourth pot will be just as bad as it will more than likely contain Fiji, Tonga, Samoa and Romania with pot 4 could be US, Canada, Russia and Namibia.

I guess what you are saying is that either Scotland or Argentina will be in pot three, but they are pretty much as good as second seeds.  But finishing in pot 2 and getting Georgia is far preferable to finishing in pot three and getting anyone, surely?

7 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Forgive my stupidity, but why would Wales beating England be good for our ranking? I thought we were in direct competition with the Welsh for a seeding spot?

If the live rankings tracker can be believed it wouldn't, IF we beat France and England beat Wales at the weekend we should jump to 5th

We are already in 7th ahead of France. In terms of points we are as close to Ireland in 4th as Argentina in 9th. As it is a point exchange system, it is hard to predict how many you gain or lose apart from the next game. At this point all you can say is that losing to Italy could be catastrophic, there other games not so much. England are so far ahead that losing to them would probably not cost us any points, France and Wales would but as we would be expected to lose in terms of the ranking system it might not be to bad.

Edit to add obviously a win on Sunday would open up even more of a gap on France in 8th which could be enough, as long as we beat Italy.

44 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I guess what you are saying is that either Scotland or Argentina will be in pot three, but they are pretty much as good as second seeds.  But finishing in pot 2 and getting Georgia is far preferable to finishing in pot three and getting anyone, surely?

Pretty much, although I wouldn't class any of the others as easy games. I dont think its as easy as us or Argentina, France, Wales and potentially Ireland could get dragged in if they have really bad 6 Nations

I see also the BBC are running another piece about letting Georgia into the 6 Nations. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38907843

To be fair i think the issue is more abut who they are and where they are from than anything else. If this was Spain or Germany banging at the door to get in, they would have been let in a while ago so the blazers could get a jolly to Munich, Berlin or Madrid, somehow I dont think they are too keen on going tot Tblisi. I am all for in principal having a promotion / relegation play off, Im just not sure how you fit it into the international window. You can really hold it in the June window as teams have tests / tours planned in advance, France play right up  to the window so not a chance before, after the June window in July is the only option but players then dont get a break before pre-season. Again November is full, and outside of that there is window where clubs have to release players to play. Unless the calendar is changed to allow a window for the game or games it cant happen.

Forgive my stupidity, but why would Wales beating England be good for our ranking? I thought we were in direct competition with the Welsh for a seeding spot?

Really struggling with this ranking thing too.
But as flying Scot said above; there is an outside bet that Scotland could finish 9th, only a mere 0.1 behind Argentina.
Knowing our capacity for carrying luck, put your money on that I guess

Pretty much, although I wouldn't class any of the others as easy games. I dont think its as easy as us or Argentina, France, Wales and potentially Ireland could get dragged in if they have really bad 6 Nations
I see also the BBC are running another piece about letting Georgia into the 6 Nations. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38907843
To be fair i think the issue is more abut who they are and where they are from than anything else. If this was Spain or Germany banging at the door to get in, they would have been let in a while ago so the blazers could get a jolly to Munich, Berlin or Madrid, somehow I dont think they are too keen on going tot Tblisi. I am all for in principal having a promotion / relegation play off, Im just not sure how you fit it into the international window. You can really hold it in the June window as teams have tests / tours planned in advance, France play right up  to the window so not a chance before, after the June window in July is the only option but players then dont get a break before pre-season. Again November is full, and outside of that there is window where clubs have to release players to play. Unless the calendar is changed to allow a window for the game or games it cant happen.

Stick a Georgian club side in the Pro12 or Top14 for a season or two to build themselves up and then look into letting them in

8 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

It's down to the way the calculations work. Whilst we are in direct competition with them, if we flunk all our games bar Italy a Welsh win against England gains them a lot of ranking points. Therefore when we play next against Wales at home they have more points, therefore a Welsh away win is not as unexpected a result as if we were closer in ranking and so we don't lose as many points. It's not a massive difference but enough that it can sink us below Argentina. 

9 minutes ago, honestly united said:

There might be a case for letting Georgia into the 6 nations and going there is one issue. However Italy have failed to make the jump really. Sure a few results here and there but they are not improving and are not near any 6 nations teams in ranking and Georgia, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga are higher ranked. 

You wonder if there is more of a case for removing Italy out of the Pro12, returning to their national leagues and putting them Euro Champions competition might help Italian rugby more...

I think Georgia are close but not quite for 6n. We beat them with a fair bit to spare last time out though they ran us close in rwc 2011. I'd be all for 6n becoming an 8n.....two leagues of 4 playing home n away with a single promotion relegation place. Bottom tier could be Romania Georgia and ooh say Italy n Wales [emoji6]. Could even have a third tier with likes of Russia Portugal etc. A knockout cup tourney could be good too maybe in autumn with top tier sides fielding b teams eta we could do with a stepping stone between u20 n full international level? Also need to expand champions cup to allow top 2 in each group to qualify....which would allow challenge cup to include more Georgian etc clubs to dip their toes in.